PDA

View Full Version : 18ft Sharkcat Reburb

Dean1
07-03-2011, 07:05 PM
My mate has just done a full refurb on his 18ft Sharkcat he bought off Grunter71 on here. The boat has come up an absolute treat id be game enough to say its the tidiest 18 Sharky around.

Went for a run in her yest up the Bribie passage and pulled 67 klms/hr with 6 blokes on board with twin 90 Yammie 2 strokes.

Very impressed how this boat has come up, i nearly bought it 12 yrs ago off another guy.

I'll try to put pics up but they were 8mp so im experimenting with pics.

sid_fishes
07-03-2011, 07:36 PM
would that be the 1 i,m thinking of deano?

Dean1
07-03-2011, 08:16 PM
would that be the 1 i,m thinking of deano? Yes mate thats the one ;) Thanks to yourself for the top stainless job it has really set her off, i was going to give you a mention just struggling to get pics up.

Faz is very happy, the upholstery is very smick its hard to believe its the same boat!

Giffo65
07-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Do you have before and after shots of the whole thing.Looks great.

Cheers
Giffo

Jarrah Jack
07-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Will be interesting to see how those figures compare to Noels.with his 90 unmentionables.

govomg
07-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Has this shark cat had new gel coat or has it been painted, and not knowing to much about shark cats, are these one of the better shark cat models as I have read some are better than others.( as in models). Cheers Mark

Dean1
07-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Yes I do have before pics. The motors are quite thirsty they use twice what my KC used but gee i forgot how good 2 stroke power is ;D Yes its being painted and yes this is the better of the 18 cats. Rare as with the factory pods reason why i pushed him to buy it.

Before pics..

No Fear
07-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Looks like a sweet rig. Im certainly starting to be persuaded in my next boat being a sharkcat, especially with the majority of my trips out from 1770 and dealing what that CQ chop.
I have been in a few cats now but never in a following sea (it always seems to be flat when we come back) which apparently is there main negative. I guess it makes sense when you see how low in the bum they are (second last pic). I will just have to make sure i catch plenty of fish to weigh the front down so i will keeping looking around for an 18 footer to make as schmicko as that one.
Great pics and hope he as plenty of great days out on the water

Dean1
07-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Looks like a sweet rig. Im certainly starting to be persuaded in my next boat being a sharkcat, especially with the majority of my trips out from 1770 and dealing what that CQ chop.
I have been in a few cats now but never in a following sea (it always seems to be flat when we come back) which apparently is there main negative. I guess it makes sense when you see how low in the bum they are (second last pic). I will just have to make sure i catch plenty of fish to weigh the front down so i will keeping looking around for an 18 footer to make as schmicko as that one.
Great pics and hope he as plenty of great days out on the water Mate the 2nd last pic is not a good example, the guy driving it there yesterday hasnt driven a cat before he had the motors trimmed out way too far, i was telling him all day what to do with the trim. The nose can easily be buried in a following sea if the motors are trimmed in too far.

I dont get what you mean by a following sea is there main negative???

This is one place they really shine in my eyes!!

Thanks for the comments with a bit of arm twisting we'll get some scales in her ;)

No Fear
07-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Sorry Deano, I guess I had been a victim of the "I hate cats" word of mouth syndrome as a couple of people have mentioned they can get a bit hairy in a following sea but obviously they are just jealous they only own one hull!!!

I reckon they are gun boats personally, especially in the short and sloppy seas where a mono would bang a bit. I could pretty much do all the glitzing up on an old hull except I would leave the fibreglassing and any structural work to the pros. Finding a hull is the first priority but I know there are a few others on here looking for one as well!I reckon there is a fair bit of luck in finding the one you want. I'll just keep my ear to the ground...

Noelm
08-03-2011, 07:14 AM
I looked at that boat before Grunter got it, then kind of thought about it again when he was selling it, 90 Yammies are a great power option for that boat, the 70's that were on it were OK, but only just! the 18' with pods were indeed a rare boat, only 14 built, you still see one now and then for sale though.

Noelm
08-03-2011, 07:20 AM
the colour is exactly the same as my Sharkcat, kind of a coffee sort of deck, and a wishy washy beige hull, I thought of spraying mine too, but got turned off by stories of 2 pack chipping off and so on, OH and don't let anyone tell you a cat (especially an 18' Shark cat) is no good in a following sea, they are so good, I reckon a pair of 175's flat out would be a "look ma, no hands" ride in a good following sea, it will NEVER broach, regardless of how it is trimmed or how fast you are going!

sid_fishes
08-03-2011, 07:55 AM
dean, mate that has come up sweet. i bet hes a happier man ,now that its done. and now you have a cat to fish on again
say g,day for me will you
ian

julian1
08-03-2011, 09:52 AM
looks very nice Dean, how did the 2 pac job come up ? what paint did they use and who did it ?
also how is the ride performance compared to the KC5.2m ??

Dean1
08-03-2011, 08:34 PM
The 2 pac paint job is immaculate its as good as it looks in the pic but it wasnt cheap. I cant remember the name of the guys who painted it ill find out there pretty well known im pretty sure. If i bought the boat i wouldnt have painted it myself but my mate loves things looking perfect ;D

I have to say it was mega choppy in the Bribie passage on sunday, with 6 on board and the speed we were doing the 5.2 kc wouldnt have kept up. We stuck our nose out in the bay it was a mess. 2 guys on board own monos and have never been in a cat and now want a cat badly they were blown away.

Nolem i think it was 1999 when i nearly bought it and if i did i would still have it, huge bunk could sleep 3 adults, similar to the Multicat i used to own.

Banks run in about a month will be its 1st Maiden fishing trip.

Cheers.

HH565L
13-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Awesome refurb. It's a real credit to you.

Greg P
13-03-2011, 11:39 AM
That's a bloody rippa Dean. How much coin has he spent on it to look that way?

frankgrimes
13-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Wow! Looks sensational....great job.

Mick

goblues
13-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Got one of them myself with twin 125 v4 Evinrudes,i was gonna sell it, as she needs a bit of clean-up.
But now???? I think I have been inspired,she looks great....Well Done.

Grand_Marlin
17-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Hey Deano,

She looks very neat. That hull is definitely worth spending the money on.
A lot of people think all 18ft cats are the same, but the 560 Sportsman like this one is far and away the best of them.

How does she go for trim? With the factory pods on the 500 sportsman I had, it was hard to get the nose up.

Also, if he hasn't already, put the boat over the weighbridge, cos I reckon he will need the breakaway breaks for being over 2 tonne.

I had to laugh ... I see you finally admitted that the 18ft Sharkcat will outperform the 5.2 Kevlacat!!

I had my 560 sportsman detailed yesterday by Dave (Blackened) she came up very nice again.

Cheers

Pete

Noelm
17-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Got one of them myself with twin 125 v4 Evinrudes,i was gonna sell it, as she needs a bit of clean-up.
But now???? I think I have been inspired,she looks great....Well Done.
keep it and enjoy it, I doubt there would be many boats on the market now that will be anywhere near as good, and that includes a lot of high priced much bigger boats too!

Dean1
20-03-2011, 05:59 PM
That's a bloody rippa Dean. How much coin has he spent on it to look that way? He spent about 30K on it mate included upgrading motors the old 70's were very tired and one crapped itself. I think he'll put 4's on it down the track but he's already talking about a bigger cat he's hooked already and its his 1st boat!

Dean1
20-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Hey Deano,

She looks very neat. That hull is definitely worth spending the money on.
A lot of people think all 18ft cats are the same, but the 560 Sportsman like this one is far and away the best of them.

How does she go for trim? With the factory pods on the 500 sportsman I had, it was hard to get the nose up.

Also, if he hasn't already, put the boat over the weighbridge, cos I reckon he will need the breakaway breaks for being over 2 tonne.

I had to laugh ... I see you finally admitted that the 18ft Sharkcat will outperform the 5.2 Kevlacat!!

I had my 560 sportsman detailed yesterday by Dave (Blackened) she came up very nice again.

Cheers

PeteHey Pete,

was wondering how long it would take you to reply ;D

Trims sweet it gets the nose up very easy. It feels very well balanced with the 90's too. He hasnt put it over the bridge but i know what you mean it would be borderline.

Yeah the extra bit of weight makes a difference over the 5.2 kc's i think they definatly feel more docile in the water as in not as flighty as the KC's.

I cant bag 5.2's too much they are an amazing boat for a 17 footer cheap to run well fitted out and easy to tow but the Sharkcat seem to be the best when its real rough out there.

Im sitting on the fence not missing my boat too much ive been too busy too use it anyway, a trip up north on my mates 24ft Sharky is on the cards soon tho ;)

Talk soon, Deano.

littlemac
20-03-2011, 08:08 PM
thats very nice

cheers

brett

Bull
21-03-2011, 07:20 PM
well done guys she looks fantastic. I know how much effort it takes to get them looking as good as that.
Bull

OPTI
21-03-2011, 07:56 PM
great resto ,and proably the best engine choice as well ,got to watch the weight on those cats ,and they do love hp.great job:P

flotsom
22-03-2011, 08:42 AM
awesome job deano - well done! it looks a real treat. The work you guys must have put in to this really shows in the end result. The owner must be stoked, I bet him & his mates will love spending quality time up in that cabin!!!!!!

Dean1
22-03-2011, 07:56 PM
awesome job deano - well done! it looks a real treat. The work you guys must have put in to this really shows in the end result. The owner must be stoked, I bet him & his mates will love spending quality time up in that cabin!!!!!! Hey Floto dont be like that.. You will get an invite into the cab I can hear it now!! Hey Floto can you come up front here and check out your wiring job it needs some attention ;D

Mate thanks to you for the top notch job Faz is very happy with the outcome you deserve most of the credit, I just found him the boat and motors but you brought it all together. You are so good at these refurbs are you keen on doing my 7m Sharkcat when i get it???? I know you want to :P

That was a funny arvo up the Bribie passage man you were tanked ;D