PDA

View Full Version : Trailer bearing protectors

Y-Not
06-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Just a quicky, what are people running to save their bearings?
Bearing buddies, sea bears or .........?

NAGG
06-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Bearing buddies for me ........ works a treat.

But nothing beats regular maintenance :) - the buddies just alllow you to introduce fresh grease on a regular basis

Chris

Deelirious
06-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Nagg got it spot on - nothing beats regular maintenance.
I'll admit I've got bearing buddies but in the full knowledge that they are the cause of more bearing failures than they save.

The only reason I re-fitted them to this trailer after servicing the bearings for the first time (after 12 months) was because the end caps I bought didn't fit.

I've always been tempted to give those oil buddies a go but apparently you need a new stub axel for those?

finding_time
06-03-2011, 11:39 PM
I've always been tempted to give those oil buddies a go but apparently you need a new stub axel for those?

Dura - hubs and no you dont need new stub axels, just some speedy sleeves if the stubs seals are damaged! I personally think there the best, not because you never have issues but when you do get water ingress you know instantly because you can see the oil go all foamy through the clear panels!

Muddy Toes
06-03-2011, 11:54 PM
I previously had bearing buddys on my old trailer and found they worked fine if i regulary took them off and cleaned them up and replaced the grease.The thing that used to peeve me off the most was they used to go missing in the carpark when i was out having a fish.>:(
My new trailer has now got oil bath hubs and they seem to work pretty well.Clear cap so i can see the level and condition of the oil.They use 50 weight motor oil and are filled via a grub screw on the side.Its all too easy.

griz066
07-03-2011, 06:39 AM
Bearing buddies for me on boat, camper and golf buggy trailers and find them great. I have pulled them apart to check that the grease is getting to where it is supposed to and all is good.

NAGG
07-03-2011, 06:58 AM
Dura - hubs and no you dont need new stub axels, just some speedy sleeves if the stubs seals are damaged! I personally think there the best, not because you never have issues but when you do get water ingress you know instantly because you can see the oil go all foamy through the clear panels!

Out of curiosity (I've never really looked into dura hubs) they still rely on a good rubber seal on the inner bearing - dont they ?
When the rubber seal wears - then what ? ....How often are they replaced?

Chris

finga
07-03-2011, 07:28 AM
They rely on a good seal Chris and the best way to achieve a good seal is to use a speedy sleeve on the stub axle as finding time has mentioned.
The oil bath is the best of the lot.
Your old car used them (how many times did you have to change an axle seal) and most trucks and big trailers use the oil bath.
The only reason a speedy sleeve should be used is because stub axles are not machined to any fine tolerances.
All seals will lose their effectiveness on a typical boat trailer stub axle within 5 minutes on the road I reckon.

Smithy
07-03-2011, 11:01 AM
After a string of bearing failures I went Durahub and haven't touched them since. Ended up with original Durahubs on the front axles and then Durahub Extremes on the rear. The extremes you can pack in grease as per normal then run the engine honey stuff. I've been buying the no-name stuff from the Super Cheap place. You can get the proper Timken bearings from there as well and its sister shop the Boating Camping and Fishing place.

Noelm
07-03-2011, 12:21 PM
I must be pretty lucky with bearings, I use only bearing buddies and have not had one failure, my old trailer bearings were well over 4 years old, and not touched, before I sold it I pulled them to bits and they still looked good, I guess what it comes down to is, as long as there is lubrication in there (grease or oil) then even rough bearings will be OK, but as soon as you get rust and crap on dry bearings, a 10 minute trip and it's all over. I did look at the oil system, but being a tight ar$e I chickened out and got buddies again.

Y-Not
07-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks fellas, I have always used bearing buddies and never had a failure that said, I do strip and repack bearings every 12 months.

Just thought I would check see what others are doing and what new products may be better

AndrewB
29-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Out of curiosity (I've never really looked into dura hubs) they still rely on a good rubber seal on the inner bearing - dont they ?
When the rubber seal wears - then what ? ....How often are they replaced?

Chris

I have had 2 different type of oil filled hubs and they are great if you can stop them leaking.

The original set up was great and worked a treat.

The 2nd one was a durahub and it leaked all the time, did a trip to the NT and had to fill them up at every petrol stop, what a PITA.

If you can get them to seal great idea but I have gone back to changing the bearings every 12 months, bearings and grease are cheap and the alternative of sitting on the side of the road doing it is not palatible.

griz066
29-03-2011, 03:49 PM
I'll admit I've got bearing buddies but in the full knowledge that they are the cause of more bearing failures than they save.

Please explain:-?:-?

finding_time
29-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Andrew

All you needed was a set of speedy sleves, your inner seal was obviously worn and therefore leaked!

Rodman
29-03-2011, 04:58 PM
I change my bearings every year whether they need to be or not.
Just finished and low and behold one bearing (rear) had collapsed completely and we were not aware of it. Thank god I decided to do my annual bearing change before my trip to Rainbow Beach next week.

Ken

fishfeeder
29-03-2011, 05:11 PM
I am about to do a major trailer service, Brakes, bearings, hubs and Discs if I cant get them machined..

I have bearing buddies and they seem to work fantastic so will be keeping them. If they worked for the last 6years they must be bloody good.

Brett

Rodpal
31-03-2011, 04:37 PM

someone mentioned importing dura hub kits from the usa or is there an agency you can recoment in brissy to supply

i now have a 6.5 on a dual axle trailer and would be interested in up grading to dura hubs but can't seem to find anyone interested in helpimg with advice or leads

cheers rod

littlejim
31-03-2011, 05:26 PM
My bearings used to go after about two dunkings/launches.
I now pack the inner ribbed seal with grease and they last for years.

FishHunter
31-03-2011, 06:02 PM
My bearings used to go after about two dunkings/launches.
I now pack the inner ribbed seal with grease and they last for years.

Thats standard practice with seals, if you expect them to last that is.

Alchemy
31-03-2011, 07:03 PM
someone mentioned importing dura hub kits from the usa or is there an agency you can recoment in brissy to supply

i now have a 6.5 on a dual axle trailer and would be interested in up grading to dura hubs but can't seem to find anyone interested in helpimg with advice or leads

cheers rod

Rod, you can get them direct from BLA.

http://www.bla.com.au/index.php?fn=keywordAction&id=4067&elt=pg&dId=1&eId=10&sId=df5ea7a8be46097935014b9e96c2d23e

cormorant
31-03-2011, 07:22 PM

cheers rod

Durahub now has a online store and they are on sale at the minute. You can buy the complete kits. Only thing not included seems to be the stainless speedi sleeve or reddi sleeve which are necessary for trouble free life. Obviously start with new bearings as well.

Is there other brands of oil filled ones and are they any better? .

Edit - As they now offer or a box price on 6 sets at a discount - send them a message and I'm sure they will box up a full installation package with whatever you want in it if you don't have loctite and gear oil . Not sure if their rear seal is anything special be it a single or double lip seal.