PDA

View Full Version : TABS v FORMOSA v SEAJAY v BLUEFIN v ALLISON

Mudlicker
06-03-2011, 06:30 PM
After a few thoughts on thes different brand hulls in the 4.7 - 5 mtr range in a side console , I know they are not all plate , just want some feedback from owners on fors and against , any help would be really valuable , thanks guys

AnthonyL
06-03-2011, 06:34 PM
I had a bluefin, loved the boat and only complaint was the floor in it wasnt marine ply and had to be replaced by year 3. I dont know if the dealer does that part of it or it it is bluefin themself but I hear that complaint a lot about them.

BARRA73
06-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Mate I currently have a bluefin wildcat and absolutely love it. Haven't had any trouble with the floor yet except for a bit of minor warping on one hatch. It lives in a shed though and is always dried out with hatches open. In years to come I would upgrade to a bluefin tomcat or cobia once the kids get bigger. The brands you mentioned all make good boats, it comes down to whoever gives the best price.

Cheers.

bluefin59
06-03-2011, 08:11 PM
I have had my 4.5 bluefin predator since 04 and replaced the floor last year and still love the boat , it has been everywhere and I have done 760 hrs in it now . Any other questions feel free to ask ... Matt8-)

davo
06-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Tabs. The reason is that they have stringers and bulkheads welded on the bottom and have a pretty good shape. The 4.95m Seajay looks good also. Not the Blue fin because of their very blunt wet hull shape. I absolutely hate my brother-in-laws boat so much I bought cheap reels to fish with him bceause everything in the boat gets drenched everytime we go out. Formosa have come a long way but much too high in the sides for me. Allison, not to fussed on welding ribs straight to the bottom. I have seen other brands crack with that same construction.

colo
06-03-2011, 08:40 PM
After a few thoughts on thes different brand hulls in the 4.7 - 5 mtr range in a side console , I know they are not all plate , just want some feedback from owners on fors and against , any help would be really valuable , thanks guys

I have a 4.55m Sea Jay Territory and love it, great ride for its size and very dry for an open tinny. Just my two sense but none of those are real plate boats , Sea Jays Plate Extreme range , Origin ,AMM Blue water, Vindicator ect are real plate boats. Not saying the others are bad but there not real plate boats.

DTHCoCo
06-03-2011, 08:50 PM
I believe tabs is in receivership, according to the local chandler their quailty of build went up and down like a yoyo. For this reason i chose to order a new allison amazon 4.7m with a centre console & an engine well. Post some pics when i get her!

tuff79
06-03-2011, 08:56 PM
I owned a tabs 5.7 territory pro, tuff as nails n fished all offshore !' tabs hands down for value for money

BARRA73
06-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Tabs. The reason is that they have stringers and bulkheads welded on the bottom and have a pretty good shape. The 4.95m Seajay looks good also. Not the Blue fin because of their very blunt wet hull shape. I absolutely hate my brother-in-laws boat so much I bought cheap reels to fish with him bceause everything in the boat gets drenched everytime we go out. Formosa have come a long way but much too high in the sides for me. Allison, not to fussed on welding ribs straight to the bottom. I have seen other brands crack with that same construction.

If bluefins get that wet who needs rod and reels to catch the fish? Shouldn't they just end up in the boat anyway.::)

Mudlicker
06-03-2011, 09:29 PM
I believe tabs is in receivership, according to the local chandler their quailty of build went up and down like a yoyo. For this reason i chose to order a new allison amazon 4.7m with a centre console & an engine well. Post some pics when i get her!
Would be super keen to see some pics of the rig
Thanks

Noelm
07-03-2011, 07:01 AM
Alison every time over all those others. The 4.95 Arafura will fit the bill very nicely.

Taylor2
07-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Got a Formosa 5.5 center cab about a year ago. Been a great out fit. Get into the easturies now and then but mostly offshore. If I had to pick a fault, the Honda 135 is a bit heavy and she wants to porpoise a little, but can still correct it with a trim. No doubts theres beter boats but I found mine good for what I wanted and the price.

Stillfishun
08-03-2011, 06:45 AM
TABS are not broke, people love rumours
You wouldnt buy a allison if you went for a ride in one, and then stepped in a tabs

Stillfishun
08-03-2011, 06:46 AM
take your tape measure and measure how wide from chine to chine, and how long the planing plank is, you wont buy allison

Noelm
08-03-2011, 07:10 AM
I HAVE been in both (don't own either, so no bias) and I reckon the Alison is the best for the size/money.

DTHCoCo
08-03-2011, 07:10 AM
TABS are not broke, people love rumours
You wouldnt buy a allison if you went for a ride in one, and then stepped in a tabs

no they might not be broke but either way no way would i order a boat from a company that is under administration full stop way too risky!!

http://www.search.asic.gov.au/cgi-bin/gns030c?acn=115_403_499&juris=9&hdtext=ACN&srchsrc=1

Scott nthQld
08-03-2011, 10:12 AM
no they might not be broke but either way no way would i order a boat from a company that is under administration full stop way too risky!!

http://www.search.asic.gov.au/cgi-bin/gns030c?acn=115_403_499&juris=9&hdtext=ACN&srchsrc=1

That's why you order through a dealer, leave a small deposit, then they take the risk until you get the boat.

Also in that link, Adminstrators were removed in early February

Mudlicker
08-03-2011, 08:33 PM
take your tape measure and measure how wide from chine to chine, and how long the planing plank is, you wont buy allison
Hi Stilfishun , excuse my ignorance mate , but what is a planing plank an an aluminium boat ??

Stillfishun
09-03-2011, 07:15 AM
Every one has a different name, but measure how long the flat section is along the keel. If you do that the allison is only around 4.7 mtr. It wont carry a load with the same buoyancy as a tabs. Even the bluefin 475 has more buoyancy.

Escape with LG
09-03-2011, 07:14 PM
My 5m bluefin ranger cc has been praised quite a bit!!! Dryer than I thought and with the 90 on the back it hammers south passage bar to manly harbor in 24min.. Handles the chop alright too! The only thing I think they should do is have a raised bow line! Enjoy the shopping round!

GLXMAN
15-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Hi There,
Have 40hrs on an Allison 4.95 SC
Been very happy with it,
Handles well, nice high sides to keep the geckos out when I'm at FNQ;)

Only have a 60 hp 4s on it but get along quick enough for my needs and its just great on fuel, even at 4200 revs which I cruise at

Good in a small chop, very comfortable ride, sure, there is a bit of spray going into a chop but OK IMHO, an extremely dry boat design is not going to be stable at rest anyway

All that have come out with me can't believe how soft the ride is,
A friend who teaches boat building told me when looking for a good riding "plate tinny", put a straight edge up forward from the waterline pointing towards the keel, if its a straight line, the boat is going to bash its guts out,

Bit hard to describe but his preference is to have a 1/2 cone shape that is tapered up to the bow at the waterline, says they ride a lot better in a chop and a wide beam and flatish towards the stern will assist stability

The other thing I would look for is at least 4mm on the bottom

Last but not least,
This report is from a very happy owner, other peoples expectations are different, especially when comparing a boats stability at rest and ride,
I would recommend not purchasing any boat without at least an hour on the water, if you ever visit Adelaide, will be happy to give you a test run

Regards,
Gary

Good_as_Gold
16-03-2011, 09:29 AM
gday

You should have a look at Aquamaster. i purchased a 5 m4 years ago great boat handles offshore great. they are a lot deeper than the 5 meter blue fin. if blue fin are the still the same their 5 is just a 4.5stretched out they are no deeper or wider . good freeboard depth is essential for fishing off shore.