PDA

View Full Version : mackie report

eureka
05-03-2011, 11:08 PM
went out for a quick troll before the southly change came through arrived at outer rock around seven, one hour before high tide was pretty quite so went into middle rock for a look the port reel went off with jimmy setting it to strike a quick fight and a few jumps saw a 6kg queenie along side set out the baits again and did a few more laps but no action was forth coming decided to run back out to outer while leaving the baits out just past the half way and the port reel takes off this time with that high speed scream that tells you it's a mackie usual fight couple of long runs then turn and run back to the boat do a few laps and have another shot at heading for NZ get him upto the side of the boat gaff shot and pull him over the side not bad went 21kg.
Decided to stay out wide of the rock scored another two hits first one had the hooks just fall out as we had him come along side of the boat second one bit straight through the wire we use to join the hooks rather than ganging them(may have to rethink that setup)ran out of time as had to be back in the mouth of the boyne before we ran out of water but it's looking good for the start of the season.

ozassassin
06-03-2011, 07:06 AM
Good going eureka nice catch. what LB wire was it that got bitten through i use the same idea might need to do a rethink myself.

Eric

jtpython
06-03-2011, 07:18 AM
Nice mate looks a touch wet there
JT
Blow is well entruly here now

carnster
06-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Nice fish!

eureka
06-03-2011, 10:08 AM
ozassassin were using 120lb stranded wire with 16 o stainless hooks baiting up school mackeral between 2-3kg thus the reason for running the wire between the hooks
thanks JT seabrezze dosn't show the rain LOL

Horse
06-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Thats a good fish.Your getting serious about BIG Spaniards when you start trolling 3kg Schoolies. What size have you pulled them to on those sorts of baits? I have used Tailor etc but never anything the size of a Schoolie

Good_as_Gold
06-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Good work mate I lost a good Spaniard on friday.

eureka
06-03-2011, 12:09 PM
thanks guys
horse the bigest so far is 27kg if you can get hold of johnny mitchells dvd on spanish you'll see that there is no such thing as too big for baits plus the smaller mackies don't seem to trouble you as much LOL