PDA

View Full Version : motor wieght

05-03-2011, 08:35 PM
I was just wondering if anybody could tell me the wieght of my 150hp 1997 mariner 2stroke as I am looking at upgrading my motor but dont want to increase the wieght on my transom

Duckfish
05-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Probably around 185-190kg. Be pretty hard finding something with that sort of horsepower and that weight. Good luck.
Duckfish

deckie
06-03-2011, 02:46 AM
Shouldnt be too hard i woulda thought but whats the hull and yr ? I assume you;ve already checked the hull rating for hp and weight and know if she's already a bit bum heavy... giving us that info would help yeah ? Those donks arnt that light anyway.

Sensible not wanting to add weight but do you feel its already a bit bum heavy ?..or maybe overs/limit on its rating already ?

Existing motor would likely be up around 190-195kg wet but check the manual or ring the local dealer who (if they want some business) should be only too keen to help with some numbers. Dont just listen to anyone with a she'll be right attitude to whacking on whatever 4stk they flog..make them work for the business..coz many just want to hook u up with a 4 stk these days as priority over sensibility for the hull. You have options but a 4 stroke longshaft equivalent would be lightest about 210-220kg. A 150 Opti or Etec would likely be no worries i reckon but if you have designs on a 4stk and definitely dont want any added weight maybe a suzi 150 but still over weight. List any extra stuff you're carrying down back and maybe have a look at a few possible mods. e.g. livey tanks/2nd batteries/stainless racks/extra fuel/baitboards/esky's etc etc

Think of whats important to you for the future... does a bit extra noise matter ? prefer trolling efficiency or top end grunt ? Price ? Fuel economy ? Serviccing costs ? What's the order of importance ?

What's the hull so we can answer with the same basic info you already have. I mean..is it a barge? a cat ? a 13ft ski boat ? What do u use it for ?

06-03-2011, 09:04 AM
the boat is a cruise craft reefranger that has had a hull extension added to make it 6.1m overall. I plan on using the boat mainly for trolling in the summer months and bottom bashing in winter. I am not overly worried about top end speed but would like it to have good pick up from a standing start. I hope this extra info helps and i will try to post some pics.

Waraba Mick
06-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Hi 610, i have a brochure here on the year 2000 merc mariner line up, it says 150 hp carb motor is 184kg and the 150 hp efi is 189kg.
Hope this helps.

Mick.

deckie
06-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Howdy..cheers for the detail.
You're in luck..a guy in here has recently repowered the same rig and i think started with a 150 too. Maybe look up what he's done via the search facility and maybe fire off a message to him. He's done some great work on a classic hull.
Yepp had a quick look back...here's a link to start ..guys name is "fishhunter"
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=167862
He'd be the perfect guy to ask...good rigs and wouldnt have thought it wouldnt be too difficult to repower.
Bound to be others in here with the same rig as well.
Maybe restart a new thread called "Reef Ranger repower" or something like that and it might get noticed more by the guys best to help out.

Mick's got a good point..is it efi ?
Cheers
Steve.