PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Craft Explorer 500

Brogsy
04-03-2011, 05:20 PM
I have read the countless arguments on here regarding cruisecrafts and bruisecrafts reputation however i am looking for a few reviews from Explorer owners not haters.
I'm looking for a half cab for a bit of weather protection to do a few overnighters around moreton with the misses. Would like to do more fishing a bit wider and having that larger engine wont take so long to get in if the weather does start playing up. Looking for enough deck space to fish two or three, but a boat i can handle by myself around the ramp.
I currently own a 425 reel mate with a 30hp, it is my first boat so its a fair step up. I fish between Mooloolaba and Brisbane.
So if anyone owns a smaller model explorer, if you could share your thoughts on what you have and how it has performed for what you do, that would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Brogsy

oldie
04-03-2011, 05:54 PM
All i can say is don't believe everything you read, as a Boating Manufacturer you don't stay in business since 1940's making shite boats!! and as you read more and more posts you'll see alot of people state that the skipper may be the reason for the pounding on the way home after a day out. Only you can be the judge, the 500 is a good solid stable platform and has a good ride, hard to have stability and ride softness and Cruise Craft have always managed to have a happy medium, yes haines are great hulls under way but sacrifice comfort at rest, especially in the smaller models, and a lot of time require more HP too due to hull design. Try get a run and make your own call. Good Luck and remember your stepping up from the reelmate so you'll be happy

Reef Cruiser
05-03-2011, 07:34 AM
i have a old cruise craft reef ranger 18.5 foot . all i can say is i love everything about the boat .have a seafarer too .iam selling the seafarer

wags on the water
05-03-2011, 08:26 AM
I have read the countless arguments on here regarding cruisecrafts and bruisecrafts reputation however i am looking for a few reviews from Explorer owners not haters.
I'm looking for a half cab for a bit of weather protection to do a few overnighters around moreton with the misses. Would like to do more fishing a bit wider and having that larger engine wont take so long to get in if the weather does start playing up. Looking for enough deck space to fish two or three, but a boat i can handle by myself around the ramp.
I currently own a 425 reel mate with a 30hp, it is my first boat so its a fair step up. I fish between Mooloolaba and Brisbane.
So if anyone owns a smaller model explorer, if you could share your thoughts on what you have and how it has performed for what you do, that would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Brogsy

Mate, search the forum for all threads started by jtpython. He has a 550 Explorer and fishes the slop....err conditions off Yeppoon.

Actually he'll probably put up a post later today.:-X :-X :-? I received text messages about good fish all before 6.15 this morning..>:(

I fish from a 625 outsider and the ride all depends on the skipper and the conditions. I've been in both alloy pressed and plate and fibreglass boats and all boats will belt you about in different seas. As said --> it all comes down to the driver and his/her decisions.

Cheers,
Wags

mull dog
05-03-2011, 08:48 AM
IMO there isn't too much difference in handling a 5m boat by yourself or a 7m boat. Get the biggest you can afford. There are some good second hand deals to be had at the moment. A fishing trip becomes cheaper when you can take three mates as opposed to one.

smclaren
05-03-2011, 10:11 AM
G'day Mate

I made a similar transition to you, in terms buying a small Cruise Craft as my 2nd serious boat ... based purely on their reputation as safe, well built boats. I am using it outside to about 8 nm's ... mainly trolling.

As a few of the other guys have mentioned .... what you will find are the on going limitation of small length hulls (ie small boats) ... regardless of the manufacturer. Because they are short and light they bang at speed between chops ... and you need to get smart on weight distribution. Small hulls are small hulls ... and you need to pilot them based on the conditions .. not the manufactures make.

But you will be blown away in how much better it performs in terms of its manners, predictability and drivability in questionable seas compared to where you are coming from. You will notice the quality hull design. They are dry, well finished and appointed ... easily serviceable.

If that's the length you choose due to space/budget/experience .... you cant go wrong on a Cruise Craft ! I love mine !

Fishing 3 up is about the max comfort level on mine (2 is better) .. mines an Outsider so it has full length beds that will fit me (185cm's) ... but less fishing deck than the explorer.

I'll get a bigger boat one day .... Cruise Craft for sure.

Sing out if you have more questions.

One Day
05-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Have been out numerous times in my mates old 510 cruisecraft. As smclaren said for the length of the vessel you will be suitably impressed. Certainly rides very well. I'm sure you wouldn't regret owning one.

Brogsy
06-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Cheers to everyone who has posted your thoughts. You all seem very satisfied with the purchase you made, and this does give me a bit more confidence in upgrading hearing how happy all CC owners still are.

Wags, i spoke to JT a while ago about his CC, when i first starting looking around. He can't talk highly enough about them. As do all owners, there reputation really is quite impressive.

Cheers,

Brogsy

Y-Not
06-03-2011, 09:43 PM
I have an old Cruise Craft Reef Raider 166 (5m) cuddy. Apart from the fact I would love it to be bigger (wouldn't we all). As a 5m boat it is stable at rest and reasonably comfortable with anything Moreton Bay throws at it, with a degree of judicious driving of course.

I have been in similar size Haines and seafarers and on any given day one may be better then the others, however, they are all good boats and with careful driving to suit the conditions you would be yet another happy cruise craft owner!!!!

Kero
07-03-2011, 07:39 AM
If you are serious, why not go & see the guys at Wynnum Marine (CC dealers). They offered to tow a couple of boats over to me on the northside & take them out for test drives. That was a surprisingly impressive offer. (I'm not associated with them in any way).
BTW, I've got a Cruise Craft Sprit 470SR. It's only a relatively short boat, but for it's size, it handles very well (if driven right). At rest it is very stable due to a wide beam for its size. I love mine, but still dream of bigger.
Happy hunting for the dream boat!

scoota
07-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Brogsy....

Hope your misses is a bit more tolerant to adverse conditions than mine when it comes to overnighters...

5 metres would be a tad to short!

It would have to be 6.5m plus and a lockable cabin and prey a 20 knot change don't push through during the night....

Good luck!

Scoota...