PDA

View Full Version : Textured floor in Fiberglass Boat

Scott nthQld
04-03-2011, 01:42 PM
I was reading another thread regarding paint speckle or splatter like you see on the interior of a painted alloy boat and got me thinking about my own project.

Given that I'm the most clumsy f'er in the world, I'd like to put down some sort of textured floor covering for my glass boat project so i basically don't go ass up. Not really interested in putting carpet down.

i was thinking something along the lines of those industrial non slip floor covering, which is basically glass or ceramic grit or beads spread out and painted over. Doesn't seem to last long though, and in a boat, would probably lift a peel quicker.

Are there any other products out there that i could give a try? Something else i was considering was when laying the floor, just before it goes completely off maby run a trowel or disposable (cheap) wire brush over the top layer so provide a more permanent solution?

Noelm
04-03-2011, 01:49 PM
When I did my floor, I considered that when I speckled it, I would use some sort of grit in the speckle only, I tried a few samples and it worked a treat, but in the end, the flowcoat came out good, so I did not speckle it at all, but now I am instructed (by wife) that carpet would be really nice. there is also some super stick on "sandpaper" strips that I looked at, you see them on stairs and stuff outdoors, I fooled about with those as well, they stick really good, are near impossible to slip on, and come in black or white.

Midnight
04-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Have a look at "Seadek"

It isnt cheap, but it is nice to stand on.

Cheers,
Myles

cormorant
04-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Rubber tube or mesh matting . Easy to clean, non slip. ok on feet. Just make sure it is cut to fit properly or secured so it can't go from under you.

If you go the stick on make sure you go quality like 3M branded stuff. They have all different grades and industrial shops can supply it. If you slip on it it will take ya skin off and can get very hot on bare feet - but so can everything.

Scott nthQld
04-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Thanks Noel, Myles.

Myles, wouldn't that stuff get hot?? Not something I want to happen in NQ, I don't often wear shoes when i fish and a nice soft, comfy....roasting hot deck is something i want to avoid like the plague

tropicrows
04-03-2011, 03:26 PM
PM Lucky Phill, he's put down some of that silicone tubing flooring. Meant to be non slip, easy on the feet and easy to clean etc. I have not heard how it went though...

Scott nthQld
04-03-2011, 03:32 PM
PM Lucky Phill, he's put down some of that silicone tubing flooring. Meant to be non slip, easy on the feet and easy to clean etc. I have not heard how it went though...

Yeah, got a few mats with that stuff....good for non slip and fatigue, but geez does it get hot....ok for them though...they wear shoes. Want to try and avoid rubber matting for this reason, I don't like to be the one cooked at the end of the day. I should start wearing shoes, last time I forgot suncream, and whilst the rest of me was ok (covered up with clothing) I could hardly get shoes and socks on for work the following day...I don't like wearing shoes on a boat, throws out my already very precarious sense of balance

jason p
04-03-2011, 03:53 PM
i made up some round skim boards to tow behind the boat and after putting a heavy coat of clear over them i sprinkled sugar over the top, sounds strange i know, when dry the sugar disolves and leaves the clear slightly rough but not as rough as sand or the like, just enough to hold your feet in place. made these up several years ago and there still sweet as:D .food for thought anyway.

jp

Horse
04-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Jason has the solution. Sprinkle sugar in the flow coat before it goes off, Give it a good wash down afterwards and the sugar dissolves leaving a fine textured finish. The other solution is something like Tredgrip rubberised deck paint. It will need a touch up on a regular basis but is a good finish
http://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5_52
Go white or sand colour to keep it cool

krazyfisher
04-03-2011, 07:36 PM
non slip boat deck paint will do the job. go to the paint shop and they will have a marine paint with glass beads in it or you can buy the glass beading in a clear paint. google the marine paints

wakakiwi
04-03-2011, 08:59 PM
i used a thick coat of flow coat with a textured roller from a chanlery just keep rolling while it goes off and then paint over it with non slip deck paint the one i used was called inter deck hope this helps

suzygs1000
04-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Hi, Scott,

A professional fisherman from Russell Island once told me that he just painted the deck of his boat with Pavol, then sprinkled sugar all over it. After the paint dried, he hosed the sugar off, and had a non slip surface. May be worth a try...

deckie
04-03-2011, 10:23 PM
If u want some comfort you could have a look at seadek or that 220-260 eva stuff with a dogbone pattern thats only about 3mm thick. Both a little pricey but sweeeeeeeeet if u like barefeet and a bit of comfort. Drops hull noise a little too.

Comcork make a low profile diamond pattern that i'm thinking about trying. Looks the dux nuts to me as for a tough non slip but may not be so comfy on bare feet..i really should go check it out one day. Some of those plastic tubular coverings u get from clark rubber feel damn hard on the feet to me after a short while.
If u like barefeet those sugar/intergrip/sand type textured finishes in flowcoat can be a bit rough but work well.
I dunno maybe i'm just getting a bit old but a little spongyness and comfort underfoot feels great and less fatigued.