PDA

View Full Version : Cairns Trout

chop duster
04-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Have heard a few people are hving trouble catching any trout after Yasi. Any truth to this or just shite fisho's?
Thinking of heading out tomoz, just trying to decide on target species....

Scott nthQld
04-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Have heard the same. Trout are there apparently spearo's weren't having any trouble getting them, just sulking a bit I reckon. Plenty of trickies to be had though, supposed to be biting pretty hard.

Reds are supposed to be going alright as well

Pazz01
04-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Probably the barstards in the grey suit giving everyone a touch up too. They are thick at present.

Pazz

chop duster
04-03-2011, 11:31 AM
One of the blokes was a spearo, mind you that was a couple of weeks ago....
Might have to do an arvo/night trip and keep my options open.
Is there still plenty of debree around? Last trip we smacked something pretty good.
Touch wood the rain stays away!

Camhawk88
04-03-2011, 11:56 AM
YEp the trout always go queit after a blow- and the RTEs are everywhere.
Try fishing deeper sections say 30-40m. If there are troat about thats where you'll get them.

chop duster
04-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Thanks Cam.

Where have you cairns locals found the best place to buy bait (squid & pilly). Have been using Max Stocks, but just thought i'd ask around.....

Pazz01
04-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Cousins Ice Chop. I reckon they are the best pillies going. They are the actual WA pillies from years ago. That's where we get them and squid.

Pazz

scuttlebutt
04-03-2011, 02:37 PM
They were on the chew yesterday morning. Went solo and bagged out in 2 hours. Water is pretty green and look out for logs. Heaps of little mac tuna around too

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad27/cairnshack/mini-010-2.jpg

Pazz01
04-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Jesus SB, that is awesome. What area did you fish for those ones?

Them greenies/blacks fight hard compared to the red one's I reckon. Lovely fish too.

Got to be happy with that. I need a new job so I can fish midweek.

Pazz

chop duster
04-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Nice one Scuttlebutt. Logs huh, not what i wanted to hear.

Pazz, didn't know they sold bait, will have to have a gander.

scuttlebutt
04-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Mate nothing too extravagant - just around the Arlington area. Water looked horrible so I didn't really expect to catch anything. Only pulled the anchor up twice (you can guess which fish came from each spot). Surprisingly the olive trouts came from deeper water than the red ones. Only got sharked once.

A mate went out today and they only caught 5 between 3 so maybe I just got lucky.

Pazz01
07-03-2011, 01:32 PM
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/reef-damage-from-yasi-patchy-scientists/story-e6freoof-1226017073956

Might be some of the reason why people are struggling to get onto a few trout.

Pazz

chop duster
08-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Headed out sat arvo, into 15-20knt breeze, rain and whitecaps as far as the eye can see....... beauty!
Water was as others have said, green soup.
Couldn't hold anchor a few times and got the shits..
25-30knot gust come thru (confirmed on BOM) and really set the day off.
Couple of fish over the gunnel but nothing decent, and then the sharks moved in.

Bit of thunder can be heard, quick check of BOM on the mobile shows a massive rain band heading right for us. Tried to stick it out with numerous boats high tailing it past us. Lightning got a bit close for comfort so decided to cut our losses and head for home with the esky a few beers lighter but still fishless.

5 minutes into the run home the power steering decides to give up the ghost (out of fluid). Fook me, what next!

Rest of the trip home was fairly uneventful thankfully.

Woke up on Sunday morning with the bloody Flu!

Moral of the story: should have stayed home and made sinkers.......

Pazz01
08-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Jesus CD, that's a trip to forget. I've come to the conclusion when fishing at night, got to be less than 10 knots, otherwise I'll stay at home. Just too much of a hassel to hang out there in anything above that. The forecasts are too iffy lately too.

Pazz

chop duster
08-03-2011, 02:27 PM
yer nah we come home before dark, storm come through late arvo. Glad we come in at that time in the end, got the boat cleaned and had sunday free. Sort of nice not having to fillet fish too? hahaha

Pazz01
08-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Yeah I get what you mean. Nice to get a boat load of fish, but a good couple of hours of filleting baggin and boning is on the cards. Our last trip overnight we only managed 3 keepers, it was a quick clean up that day. ha.

Nicko_Cairns
09-03-2011, 12:27 AM
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/reef-damage-from-yasi-patchy-scientists/story-e6freoof-1226017073956

Might be some of the reason why people are struggling to get onto a few trout.

Pazz

Unsure how much is visual too? Have been told that vis is crap since Yasi so that might be another factor? On a positive my deckie pulled an 85cm nanny from an inshore ground and we got another smaller large mouth and some small, smallmouth nannys too. It was good to have some red come aboard...and before anyone asks I can't remember the spot at all ;)

devocean
09-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Gday Boys

Live trout boys in Bowen have reported nil trout in the shallows. As usual RTE everywhere and reds mving into shallow water after cyclone. Unfortunately this means barra get a hiding in the creeks from nets. One boat went out 6 storey licence (about 3000 trout a trip) 6 blokes landed 6 trout for four days in the shallow country.

Spoke to another bloke who fished the reef off Ayr and TSV trout are all condensed in spots. If you can find one there will be heaps around