PDA

View Full Version : Painting spatter?

matt fraser
04-03-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm about to paint some ally mods I did in my bluefin ages ago. I've got the right colour white, but wondering how I go about trying to get the spatter finish - to match the rest of the boat interior - as per pics below.

Is there anyone out there who can help?

Cheers,

Matt

Noelm
04-03-2011, 01:18 PM
there is a couple of ways to do it (so I am told) I messed around a bit when I did the inside of my boat, you can use a cheap spray gun, and adjust the jet to splatter instead of spray, some remove the jet altogether, for bigger blobs, buy a cheap sand blaster from Supercheap and muck around a bit with it to see what sort of effects you can get, that's what they use for fibreglass, you can buy a special fleck gun, but a home handyman will probably never use it again.

jighead
04-03-2011, 01:58 PM
You can also under thin the colour (use less reducer) and paint at a low pressure
but what ever method you use try painting a few pieces of cardboard till you get the desired effect.
Cheers Mal

Si
04-03-2011, 08:38 PM
hows the conversion goin Matt?

matt fraser
05-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the tips Mal and Noel, Looks like I'm not going to get a crack at it this weekend though.

Good news is I've now got a day to hook into the Haines. Seriola - just getting back into it after about 4 months of nothing. I'll have to do an update after this weekend. Still on stringers.....

Cheers,

lippa
05-03-2011, 08:47 PM
you can buy it in an aersol can from dulux/bunnings, dear at 20 odd bucks a can though.

Stuart
06-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Matt

It very simple to get that effect using a HVLP spray gun. You simply turn the pressure down on the gun and turn the paint volume knob up untill you get the effect you want. I have done this on a few of my boats over the years and it turns out great. Set it up on a test piece first. You can also set the gun to spray it on thick or almost like a fine mist.

Stu

trilogy
06-03-2011, 08:45 PM
If you only have a small area to do, dip a bit of paint on a toothbrush and flick it on by holding the handle in one hand and the bristle end in the other and bending the handle and just let go.As the others have said try on a bit of cardboard fist. In 10 minutes you will be an expert.

matt fraser
21-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks for all the advice on this one. Turned out to be a bigger job than expected, but now all finished - bar some wiring, and it all turned out well.

After painting the livewell and rod locker, the new paint was way too white, incomparison to the original colour. Even though I rang Bluefin got the code, and bought the exact same paint from the same supplier - Protec.

So I decided that I would have to do all the interior!

Then looking at the white topsides, I decided to do them too!!! i had some paint bubbling (corrosion) around several fittings where I had used stainless screws.

So I removed all flooring, decking, hatches, and fittings and started sanding. About eight hours later - over several afternoons, I was ready to paint. So I masked it all up (another two to three hours), then I was finally ready to paint!

Several coats of paint, and another trip to Protec for another litre, and it was looking shmick, and ready for the spatter finish.

First option - look for a spray can. Tried Bunnings, autopro and Bias - no one had it.

Second option - tried flicking brushes. About half an hour of trying different brushes, and still looked crap and inconsistant.

Third option - spraying through gun. After about half an hour and trying two different guns I finally got a consistant and decent pattern happening. So went to work. Fortunately it all went well - really well actually!

Reading back over Stu and Mal's posts really helped, as I ran the mixture thick, with very low pressure. I had to regularly wipe the nozzle with a rag to clear the blockages, but there was no dripping or mess, and the finish was very consistant. So thanks.

I refitted all the fittings with alluminium rivets as well as the flooring. While I was at it I repaired some dodgy mods to the main floor sections, fibreglassed them for a extra strength and waterproofing, then recarpeted them.

Early on in the job I bogged and sanded the inside corners of the livewell to cover up all my rough welding. It now looks like a fibreglass livewell - but geez that took some time.

It funny how even small jobs on boats grow and grow......

Cheers,

Matt

jighead
22-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Well done ! Matt
Looks like she came up a treat. It is amazing how a job you thought might take an hour or two turns into a Cecil B Demille epic

Nathan Tuskes
22-03-2011, 04:42 PM
how did the re carpeting go after that catastrophic disaster i saw when you were doing that floor panel... sorry had to dob haha

matt fraser
22-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Yeah thanks Nathan! Luckily it worked the second time around, must have been the heat.?

Didn't happen with the other panel.

Nathan Tuskes
22-03-2011, 07:25 PM
yer well its come up a million bucks, top stuff!!!, hook into that haines now, I can't wait to see the quality after seeing the way you sanded that live well