PDA

View Full Version : Mobile mechanic, steering repairs.

antg2378
03-03-2011, 08:07 PM
The steering on my Blue Fin Barracuda is getting increasingly heavy and I'm after a mobile mechanic who is willing to travel to the Redlands. I phoned a mobile mech' two days ago and am yet to receive a quote. I'm unsure if its just the cable or the sleeve that the motors pivots on. I'd prefer to get the lot replaced and be done with it. The steering is Teleflex and the motor is a 50 Mariner.

Any help, recommendations and pricing would be greatly appreciated.

Marlin_Mike
04-03-2011, 08:48 AM
The steering on my Blue Fin Barracuda is getting increasingly heavy and I'm after a mobile mechanic who is willing to travel to the Redlands. I phoned a mobile mech' two days ago and am yet to receive a quote. I'm unsure if its just the cable or the sleeve that the motors pivots on. I'd prefer to get the lot replaced and be done with it. The steering is Teleflex and the motor is a 50 Mariner.

Any help, recommendations and pricing would be greatly appreciated.

PM Spaniard King on here, aka Garry. He did mine, highly recommended.

Mike

Noelm
04-03-2011, 08:55 AM
toss the whole lot in the bin and get a simple side mount hydraulic system, not all that much dearer than a new cable setup, which will bugger up again. In saying that, cable steering is not terribly complicated to fix/replace, but if you feel it is beyond you, Spaniard King will be your mine

CRAFTY24
04-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Are you reasonably handy? I replaced one on my Cruisecraft about 3 years ago. I just bought a kit (BIAS boat world have them) and followed the instructions. Had a mate give me a hand and we did it one Friday night and it was much easier than I thought. I don't remember the cost but it really wasn't that expensive.

One thing I can tell you if it has been heavy for a while once you replace it you will think you have power steering.

As Noelm said if it is above you then Spaniard King sounds like the go.

Cheers

Fed
04-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Disconnect the drag link and find out where the problem is then grease it up & go fishing.

Heath
04-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Sounds like GD Marine Services ( Aka Spaniardking) has serviced a lot of boats of fellow Ausfishers.

Rightly so too, he knows his stuff.

Marlin_Mike
04-03-2011, 10:59 AM
antg2378, PM sent mate

Cheers

Mike

antg2378
04-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks guys, I'd probably be able to do it myself but the hardest part would be finding time to do it. I'm lucky if I get 1 day off a week and as I leave for work at around 4:30am and don't arrive home till about 5:30pm it doesn't leave much time for anything else and I'd rather be out in the boat than fixing it on my day off which is why someone mobile is perfect.