PDA

View Full Version : 1770 Quickie.

Lucky_Phill
03-03-2011, 08:53 AM
.After spending 7 days on the road working, I needed a break and as luck would have it, the weather turned FANTASTIC.

I posted a “ deckie wanted “ ad here on Ausfish on Sunday night for a Monday start, and soon enough had a response. Trymyluck, ( Mark ) put his hand up for a 2 day trip to 1770. Yes, it was short notice, but when the weather is good you have to make the most of it. 8-)

I collected Mark from his place at Glenwood on the way up from Brisbane and we made good time to reach Agnes Water late arvo and settle into the digs with a nice Stones Ginger Beer and an early night.

5am saw us at the servo for a big bag of ice, some breakfast and then onto the ramp. Wind was gusting to 2 knots but in the main was blowing 3 knots less than that.

The livies out the front were non-existent which disappointed me a tad and the water in close was still ‘ off colour “.

Pointed ReBait in the direction of new ground, set the rpm to 4400 and sat back for the 2 hour trip.

Found the area and saw the sounder get excited, so I drifted to see what’s doing. Seemed OK and sent down a nice slab of mullet. Bang ! Up comes a good Parrot over the 3kgs. A few more in the boat as well as Maori Cod and of course a Hussar made it’s way into the esky.

This place shut down for lunch so a move North West was in order. More ground and a few more esky fish including a nice RTE on a PE Tackle fly. ( Thanks Sean ) Went quite so into the area known as Stuart Shoals and trolled a couple of Lively Lures… “ Purple Pilles “ ( you’ll remember these brisbane-boy ). Wasn’t long before the target Spanish jumped all over one. ( yes Timi, this was your requested fish and delivered as promised ) :P

Moved to another area north and put more finned creatures into the esky then off into Musgrave for a re-think and re-hydration. A decision was made to head west to a small area halfway back to the mainland. Found this in no time and Mark dongs a huge Wire Netting Cod ( Honeycomb Cod to some ! ). More fish about, and around this time we were both feeling drained. Sun coming down all day, not enough wind to blow out a candle and 15 ltrs of water between us. Homeward bound for a refreshing shower, feed and good nights sleep on dry land. Yes, we were going to do the overnighter, but plans always do not work out.

7 hours sleep and back at the ramp for a crack at places north of the bar. Mark dropped a yakka down to tease a Nanngai onto his hooks in 35mtrs of water and smiles all round. Current had picked up so we moved to Outter Rock and trolled for a while. Birds about but no Pelagics. Again heading North east of Bustad Head to a place I had fished once some 5 or 6 years ago. Not knowing what to expect but was pleasantly surprized by the extended shows of fish of varying sizes.

First drop and I’m onto a nice Red. Mark pulls a big Yellow Hussar, so I believe it is time to anchor. Current was running at a reasonable rate, but certainly fishable. Fishing was slow but a couple came on board, it was the middle of the tide and day, so no high hopes about ! Then the Penn 114H screams. I had a slab of mullet on the PE tackle Fly, sitting 50 mtrs behind the boat and about 5 – 10 mtrs off the bottom. Cobia took a liking to this setup and was promptly subdued, bled and placed on ice.

The Slatey Bream from hell was also boated, and these critters go great fresh, in a mornay etc, and Chong was the recipient of this one.

We pulled the pin at midday, due to “ old age “ ……….. well really, the conditions were fantastic. But the heat and sun took a lot out of us and with the 150ltr esky looking as full as a Doctors Wallet, a call went out to head home. Trip back was at 4400 rpm again, not fast but a great cruising speed.

Stats, well, we traveled 332k’s over 2 days and used about 230 ltrs of fuel. Fuel was cheaper at Agnes Water than Brisbane. Servo at Agnes opens at 5am, closes at 9pm and makes a great burger… well I reckon, Mark may think differently !!! ??? I took 14 kgs of mullet fillet ( left over from last years M & G ), 6 yakka and still managed to come home with some mullet fillet. We didn’t use any caught fish for bait, because we didn’t catch fish considered bait. I did let 1 Trevally go. Also got monstered,as per a normal 1770 trip.

Species caught were, Red, RTE, Slatey, Hussar, Parrot, Maori Cod, Nannygai, Wire Netting Cod, Yellow Hussar, Cobia, Spanish….. and as said, the esky really wouldn’t hold any more. Fish to elude me were Trout. Although I like the new ground, there was not as much “ structure and features “ as places further north, around where I usually fish, near Boult Reef etc.

I’d like to thank Mark for the great company and was good to have a deckie who pulled their weight and provided the “ slip and fall “ entertainment. YES, I had to mention it :-X

Got a couple of pics below.

I tried to call Anthony and Adrian on Tuesday by mobile and VHF with no luck ?? :-?

I am sure Mark may add to the story…..

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/Parrot.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/Maori-Cod-Mark.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/RT-on-Fly.jpg

without fly in gob....

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/RT-eyes-closed.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/Span.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/Red-Fish.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/By-Catch.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/Cobe-on-Fly.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/Flock-nth-47.jpg

Looking west to Musgrave Island.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/Look-west-to-Musgrave.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/Water-ripples.jpg

Heading home.........................

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/Wake.jpg

Cheers Phill

PS. Yes Scotty. The spiral wrap got a work out and accounted for most fish.

TimiBoy
03-03-2011, 09:14 AM
See you today! Thanks a heap, Mate!

Cheers,

Tim

Spot82
03-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Sounds like you had a good trip Phil! That red throat is a good size!! Try botom bashing Stuart Shoal up in the 20m area, we got some nice red throats there and i scored a very nice coronation trout and missed some other trout too!

Looks like you scored the best of the conditions we got a bumpy ride out and home, wasn't too bad but enough to be a pain in the you know where.

Thanks for the report and pics

Anthony

brisbane_boy
03-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Not bad going Phill, good bass fishing weather. just a tip thou, if you are to have lots of quickys there are better nut protectors around, those blue things are horrible and the rod always slides out and helps the hernias along, check out rootas alutecnos ones.

Tickleish
03-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the report Phil, heading up there next week.

Do you rate the flies (PE) - never really considered them before?

tropicrows
03-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Well done Phill. Good weather, good fish, good company = good trip.

Vitamin Sea
03-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Good stuff Phill, fantastic conditions, with some good fish, sort you dream about.

Bill

oddbudman
03-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Nice pics- look like great conditions. What's going on with the guides on that overhead? New style?

oddbudman

Lucky_Phill
03-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Nice pics- look like great conditions. What's going on with the guides on that overhead? New style?

oddbudman

That is a spiral wrap rod. Yes, it is meant to be that way.

In effect, it stops the rod & reel twisting in your hand when winding in. Yep, it does.

Rods have mostly, two spines on which you can build your guides on. Usually one or the other, with a spiral wrap, the first guide is on a spine and then guides are added to eventually form on the other spine.

LP.

finga
03-03-2011, 04:14 PM

Yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah.
Blow by blow story for the spiral kills please?
Any close up pictures??
I feel a bit like a proud dad hearing about the their son scoring the winning try at the footy in his first game at the moment.....
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Respect/respect-050.GIF

Gunna have to think of a good name up for it now.

burleygu
03-03-2011, 04:49 PM
bloody hell phill what good weather!!! glad you blokes got onto some very much looking forward to september!!

vertico
03-03-2011, 04:59 PM
top stuff phill , very nice RTE

jarhead
03-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Top fish and read, can't beat conditions like that other than the heat.

Wal

trymyluck
03-03-2011, 07:32 PM
.After spending 7 days on the road working, I needed a break and as luck would have it, the weather turned FANTASTIC.

I posted a “ deckie wanted “ ad here on Ausfish on Sunday night for a Monday start, and soon enough had a response. Trymyluck, ( Mark )Mmmm go to work or go fishing............Decisions Decisions.........Not. put his hand up for a 2 day trip to 1770. Yes, it was short notice, but when the weather is good you have to make the most of it. 8-)

I collected Mark from his place at Glenwood on the way up from Brisbane and we made good time to reach Agnes Water late arvo No thanks to the road works and wide loads.:-?and settle into the digs with a nice Stones Ginger Beer At least it wasn't pink or blue and it does have beer as part of its name....:-X and an early night.

5am saw us at the servo for a big bag of ice, some breakfast and then onto the ramp. Wind was gusting to 2 knots but in the main was blowing 3 knots less than that.

The livies out the front were non-existent which disappointed me a tad and the water in close was still ‘ off colour “.

Pointed ReBait in the direction of new ground, set the rpm to 4400 and sat back for the 2 hour trip. All that jiggling around did nothing for Phills aroma.....:P

Found the area and saw the sounder get excited, so I drifted to see what’s doing. Seemed OK and sent down a nice slab of mullet. Bang ! Up comes a good Parrot over the 3kgs. A few more in the boat as well as Maori Cod and of course a Hussar made it’s way into the esky.

This place shut down for lunch so a move North West was in order. More ground and a few more esky fish including a nice RTE on a PE Tackle fly. ( Thanks Sean ) Went quite so into the area known as Stuart Shoals and trolled a couple of Lively Lures… “ Purple Pilles “ ( you’ll remember these brisbane-boy ). Wasn’t long before the target Spanish jumped all over one. ( yes Timi, this was your requested fish and delivered as promised )

Moved to another area north and put more finned creatures into the esky then off into Musgrave for a re-think and re-hydration. Frinkin Hot A decision was made to head west to a small area halfway back to the mainland. Found this in no time and Mark dongs a huge Wire Netting Cod ( Honeycomb Cod to some ! ). More fish about, and around this time we were both feeling drained. Sun coming down all day, not enough wind to blow out a candle and 15 ltrs of water between us.And none of it was recycled as normal:-? Homeward bound for a refreshing shower, feed Cold chicken that somehow got left in the fridge when instead of the esky ::):-[ and good nights sleep on dry land. Yes, we were going to do the overnighter, but plans always do not work out. Yep really need air cond for summer........8-)

7 hours sleep and back at the ramp for a crack at places north of the bar. Mark dropped a yakka down to tease a Nanngai onto his hooks in 35mtrs of water and smiles all round. Current had picked up so we moved to Outter Rock and trolled for a while. Birds about but no Pelagics. Again heading North east of Bustad Head to a place I had fished once some 5 or 6 years ago. Not knowing what to expect but was pleasantly surprized by the extended shows of fish of varying sizes. Phill your gps co-ordinates weren't big enough, couldn't read them.........And it would be a bit obvious to pull out the hand held gps.........:-X If I had one.

First drop and I’m onto a nice Red. Mark pulls a big Yellow Hussar, so I believe it is time to anchor. Current was running at a reasonable rate, but certainly fishable. Fishing was slow but a couple came on board, it was the middle of the tide and day, so no high hopes about ! Then the Penn 114H screams. I had a slab of mullet on the PE tackle Fly, sitting 50 mtrs behind the boat and about 5 – 10 mtrs off the bottom. Cobia took a liking to this setup and was promptly subdued, bled and placed on ice.

The Slatey Bream from hell was also boated, Not to mention the second one that got released and these critters go great fresh, in a mornay etc, and Chong was the recipient of this one.

We pulled the pin at midday, due to “ old age “ ……….. well really, the conditions were fantastic. But the heat and sun took a lot out of us and with the 150ltr esky looking as full as a Doctors Wallet, a call went out to head home. Trip back was at 4400 rpm again, not fast but a great cruising speed.

Stats, well, we traveled 332k’s over 2 days and used about 230 ltrs of fuel. Fuel was cheaper at Agnes Water than Brisbane. Servo at Agnes opens at 5am, closes at 9pm and makes a great burger… well I reckon, Mark may think differently !!! ??? No they are a great hambuger, just mayby not the night before heading offshore. Not crook but felt ordinary. I took 14 kgs of mullet fillet ( left over from last years M & G ), 6 yakka and still managed to come home with some mullet fillet. We didn’t use any caught fish for bait, because we didn’t catch fish considered bait. I did let 1 Trevally go. Also got monstered,as per a normal 1770 trip.

Species caught were, Red, RTE, Slatey, Hussar, Parrot, Maori Cod, Nannygai, Wire Netting Cod, Yellow Hussar, Cobia, Spanish….. and as said, the esky really wouldn’t hold any more. Yep bigger esky needed Phill...;D Fish to elude me were Trout. Although I like the new ground, there was not as much “ structure and features “ as places further north, around where I usually fish, near Boult Reef etc.

I’d like to thank Mark for the great company and was good to have a deckie who pulled their weight and provided the “ slip and fall “ entertainment. YES, I had to mention it :-XYep went to step into Rebait with thongs on and went arse up.........:-[:'(:-X

Phill, it was great to have the opportunity to fish on rebait and with you, a great couple of days and learn't a few things along the way. Looking forward to the next time if I get the invite.........;D

Got a couple of pics below.

I tried to call Anthony and Adrian on Tuesday by mobile and VHF with no luck ?? :-?

I am sure Mark may add to the story…..

Cheers Phill

Thanks again Phill

Mark

Tangles
03-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Geez tough conditions there fellas, nice work.

popgun19
03-03-2011, 10:06 PM
A few nice fish, well done Phill and Mark !

PinHead
04-03-2011, 04:46 AM
well done guys but Phill..the title? a quickie? you and Mark???

theoldlegend
04-03-2011, 05:54 AM

Hmmmmmm,

The pink drinks maybe? :o ::)

TOL

odes20
04-03-2011, 07:47 AM
Hi Phil

Good fun trip for you guys, and some real nice fish.

Just an idea on some of the pics mate. A photographer taught me to use 'forced flash on my camera when taking a shot of fish on the boat into the sun in broard daylight. It gets some light onto the face of the fisher and highlights the fish etc. it really works.

Cheeers
John

Lucky_Phill
04-03-2011, 07:52 AM

??? A quick trip up. Quick burger. Quick drink. Quick sleep. Quick baiting. Quick catching. Quick travel. Quick esky fill. Quick return.

Certainly wasn't a Kwiky, or Quicky, or Quiky. and definately not a Koowikie ;D

TOL,

mateeeeee, as I said earlier, I am off the coloured drinks. Despite the fact they contain more alcohol than Sooky Lala .... Beer, cost more ( meaning, you have to THINK before buying ), ya have to " man up " to actually drink them in a public bar surrounded by " blokes " and they are the perfect product when in conversation ( seducing ) with the fairer gender of our society.

Downside................ Sooky Lala beer drinkers ( sub peers ) appear to be unable to grasp the emotion of walking away from the sheepole path and are restricted in their ability to see that the ' pack ' can have a leader and in so, leading into uncharted territory that only the brave and fearless dare to venture. Unable to take the first step to redemption, the Sooky Lala sub peers, remain forever attached to the apron strings of their mother metaphors. NOT, that theres anything wrong with that. ;D :-? :P ;D

I do believe it's DDD ?

Cheers Phill

Apollo
04-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Hi Phil

Just an idea on some of the pics mate. A photographer taught me to use 'forced flash on my camera when taking a shot of fish on the boat into the sun in broard daylight. It gets some light onto the face of the fisher and highlights the fish etc. it really works.

Cheeers
John

John

Have you ever seen Phil or Mark in the flesh close up? Trust me - the DARKER, the better! :LMAO:

Steve

Lucky_Phill
04-03-2011, 07:55 AM
Hi Phil

Cheeers
John

Thanks John, and yes, the flash was on. Mark was taking the pics. With this camera, you have to hold down the " button " to get a focus and ready it for the flash thing. If you simply push the button, it will take a pic, less flash. Also, let's face it. Do we all really need to see my mug in a fishing capture shot ?? ;D ::) ;D

LP

Apollo
04-03-2011, 07:57 AM
??? A quick trip up. Quick burger. Quick drink. Quick sleep. Quick baiting. Quick catching. Quick travel. Quick esky fill. Quick return.

TOL,

mateeeeee, as I said earlier, I am off the coloured drinks. Despite the fact they contain more alcohol than Sooky Lala .... Beer, cost more ( meaning, you have to THINK before buying ), ya have to " man up " to actually drink them in a public bar surrounded by " blokes " and they are the perfect product when in conversation ( seducing ) with the fairer gender of our society.

Downside................ Sooky Lala beer drinkers ( sub peers ) appear to be unable to grasp the emotion of walking away from the sheepole path and are restricted in their ability to see that the ' pack ' can have a leader and in so, leading into uncharted territory that only the brave and fearless dare to venture. Unable to take the first step to redemption, the Sooky Lala sub peers, remain forever attached to the apron strings of their mother metaphors. NOT, that theres anything wrong with that. ;D :-? :P ;D

I do believe it's DDD ?

Cheers Phill

You are drinking now, aren't you?

Silent
04-03-2011, 09:45 AM
What terrible condition background reckon my tinny could make it...:'(

Great report and love the quickie fishing don't you!!!

Chong
04-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Mornay is bloody good mate, thanks. All Chongetts are happy with the feed8-) ;) ;D

theoldlegend
05-03-2011, 06:31 AM

TOL,

I do believe it's DDD ?

Cheers Phill

I'm afraid you lost me with that last paragraph Phill.

TOL

Lucky_Phill
05-03-2011, 06:34 PM
John,

Let me explain it like this.

Beer drinkers, “ sub peers “, drink this liquid for they feel to venture forth into uncharted waters ( different alcoholic beverages ) would be akin to casting aspersions unto their fellow men and more importantly , their very own manhood. Beer, although it can be a refreshing ale, is not a true mans drink, but an alternative that requires no thought processes other than, drink with peers.

A beverage of standing in the ‘arden up ‘ community will be that of plus 5% per volume, therefore requiring affirmative action in delivering the necessary desired effect of re-hydration, piss-tication and improvo-personality.

To simply partake of the beverage know as ‘ beer ‘ puts one within the pack, but to lead that pack, one has to divert the attention from the sub peers to an advantageous position claiming meritorious accolades from that group by digressing to plus 5% coloured, non-coloured and uniquely ‘arden up men drinks. Fear not the retributions of your fellow peers, soon to be sub peers, as they too, may look deeply into their soul and realize they are not the men, they think they are.

Sure, beer gets desired effects…. Beer googles etc, but to really appreciate the wonders of the distilled plant matter of mother earth, one must, in all seriousness, take up the challenge and strut to the benchtop of barmaids and request with all the bravado of the Bull Stagg , a “ Strawberry Cruiser please ? “.

Well that is as about as clear as I can say it. You know it makes sense !! ????

Cheers Phill

vertico
05-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the report Phil, heading up there next week.

Do you rate the flies (PE) - never really considered them before?

mate I and many other rate them highly but my opinion is heavily biased....::)

finga
05-03-2011, 06:54 PM
So Phill and Mark......what's the inside story with the spiral.
Thoughts, opinions, problems???
Honest thoughts only though. The good, the bad and the fugly.

Lucky_Phill
05-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Spiral stick is very good.

Put a gimble butt on it, and she'll be perfect.

It had good middle grunt, a soft tip and spacing looked good.

PE flys went well and this time I didn't lose one.

Definatley a rig to use when chasing big fish.

Cheers Phill

Lovey80
06-03-2011, 05:00 AM
Phill that girly drink waffle is the worst i have heard since FNQ had his last DDD. Seriously what crap are you smoking before asking for a pink legg opener?

Scalem
06-03-2011, 06:23 AM
My girls bought a 6 pack of passionfruit and a 6 pack of guava cruisers, but didn't drink them all and I am PROUD to say I fought my conscience long and hard, to stay in the "sub peer" catagory for as long as I could. But I succumbed :-[ Now I realise after reading phils explanation that I should not be ashamed, I am LIBERATED and in another class of society to be revered, to be honoured. But it's another story if, next time I am at the bottle shop I actually order lollie water instead of the real stuff. ;D ;D

The effort of putting together a trip quickly is very rewarding Phil, well done!

Scalem

Lovey80
06-03-2011, 06:37 AM
Murf,

no one is begrudging a bloke that will take his alcohol any where he can get it in a pinch. If were sitting around the camp fire and I run out of beer, of course Phill will be in bed well by then, I'll have no dramas raiding his esky :D:D:D:D for a after dinner mint ;)

But to classify yourself as a higher level of society because you drink the same stuff as a teenage girl is a whole different story:X

trymyluck
06-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Murf,

no one is begrudging a bloke that will take his alcohol any where he can get it in a pinch. If were sitting around the camp fire and I run out of beer, of course Phill will be in bed well by then, I'll have no dramas raiding his esky :D:D:D:D for a after dinner mint ;)

But to classify yourself as a higher level of society because you drink the same stuff as a teenage girl is a whole different story:X

Mate, What crap are you on!!!!!!!! As if you would run out of beer while camping............:o If you, through very poor planning happened to run out of beer while around the camp fire then maybe you should be drinking pink girly drinks....;D

Lovey80
06-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Mate, What crap are you on!!!!!!!! As if you would run out of beer while camping............:o If you, through very poor planning happened to run out of beer while around the camp fire then maybe you should be drinking pink girly drinks....;D

Good call I'll cop that one!

four_button_arnie
07-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Boys well done, impressive catch;D, loving all the red people are dragging aboard,

Josh

trymyluck
07-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Boys well done, impressive catch;D, loving all the red people are dragging aboard,

Josh

So have ya blooded the new boat yet?????;D

rob tranter
08-03-2011, 06:19 PM
John,

Let me explain it like this.

Beer drinkers, “ sub peers “, drink this liquid for they feel to venture forth into uncharted waters ( different alcoholic beverages ) would be akin to casting aspersions unto their fellow men and more importantly , their very own manhood. Beer, although it can be a refreshing ale, is not a true mans drink, but an alternative that requires no thought processes other than, drink with peers.

A beverage of standing in the ‘arden up ‘ community will be that of plus 5% per volume, therefore requiring affirmative action in delivering the necessary desired effect of re-hydration, piss-tication and improvo-personality.

To simply partake of the beverage know as ‘ beer ‘ puts one within the pack, but to lead that pack, one has to divert the attention from the sub peers to an advantageous position claiming meritorious accolades from that group by digressing to plus 5% coloured, non-coloured and uniquely ‘arden up men drinks. Fear not the retributions of your fellow peers, soon to be sub peers, as they too, may look deeply into their soul and realize they are not the men, they think they are.

Sure, beer gets desired effects…. Beer googles etc, but to really appreciate the wonders of the distilled plant matter of mother earth, one must, in all seriousness, take up the challenge and strut to the benchtop of barmaids and request with all the bravado of the Bull Stagg , a “ Strawberry Cruiser please ? “.

Well that is as about as clear as I can say it. You know it makes sense !! ????

Cheers Phill

SoftessCockess, :P

That is a load of shite, if you want more punch, drink "RUM", not those Fairy Drinks.;)

Murf

It would seem that your posty has dissoed???? whats the go.:-?

Besides all this, not a bad couple of days by the looks of it, well done:)

Rob T8-) Go The Steji/150 Opti