PDA

View Full Version : Berley Bucket setup

thylacene
03-03-2011, 06:54 AM
Have decided that a berley bucket could be a great advantage when chasing bait.

Anyone out there have any views on what type and what height it should be mounted at.

I have assumed that it needs to be mounted high enough to be out of the water when on the plane and above the bottom line of the hull so as no to drag when moving, but still low enough to cop a rinse at rest.

Your thoughts?

Noelm
03-03-2011, 09:02 AM
correct, it needs to be out of the water completely when on the plane, and make sure the "muncher" handle is long enough to make it easy to use, also one trap that people fall into is, the top of the bucket is not high enough, so, when at rest, the rocking of the boat lowers the top right under water, and this empties/floats all the burley out in one go, really bugs you after a while. Also make sure the holes are not too big (unless you are a Shark fisherman) or all the burley will just come out before it is minced up small.

Wazz01
03-03-2011, 09:38 PM
My burley bucket drags when on the plane, will this cause any serious issues or just cause drag and burn extra fuel?

Noelm
04-03-2011, 08:18 AM
yes, just extra drag, unless it is very deep, and it might just yank it right off the transom!

Fed
04-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Plastic ones are much quieter too.

Wazz01
04-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Mines plastic, and I suppose its is about 2.5 - 3 inchs below the water. I guess it'll be ok.