PDA

View Full Version : kevlacat 5.2 anchoring questio

dan12345
02-03-2011, 05:19 PM
hey all so i finally got myself a 5.2 kevlacat;D an cant stop smiling. (i never thought finding one for a sensible price was possible but thanks to a little old man on the gold coast i have finally got one)question is what do u guys do for anchoring set ups, surely u dont all climb around the front or over the screen,just after some ideas etc, and any other info or tips u have to improve them would be great
cheers dan

Dean1
02-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Congrats did you buy the grey coloured one with the f 60's?? The only way to run an anchor in these 5.2's is have a tub in the back that the anchor lives in. Store it in there and use that bin as a kill bin to bleed your fish in when your out there. You will obviosly have to get up front to adjust the rope length when you fish different depths throughout the day.

I dont bother putting it in between anchoring up out there just put it on the floor but when you pull it in for the last time for the trip neatly store the rope/chain/anchor in there ;)

finding_time
02-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Just run your anchor from the cockpit and use a lift bouy like you would any other boat! Run the line from the anchor up through the bow roller but tie it off back at the transom so you can adjust the rope length with ease without going foward! When you retrieve never tie directally off to the transom make sure the rope goes through the bow roller the retrieve the anchor back into the cockpit! Make sense??:-?

dan12345
03-03-2011, 02:32 AM
nah dean the one i bought had only been for sale for 2 days:) one owner an sitting on a pontoon at the back of his house hes had it since new.bit of good luck actually took the misses out crabbing an was cruising up the canal talking about kc 5.2 an how i cant seem to find one for a good price an heres one sitting on a dock up ahead,so she tells me to go closer so she can have a look at them to she if she likes them,well turns out the old fella was on his dock doing a bit of fishing ses hi an i explain i was just admiring the boat an he ses would u be interested in buying it:o i enquire about what he wants an nearly fall out of my boat when he tells me,quick test drive a day later an then bought it the day after.

ok finding time im pretty sure i understand what your trying to explain,seems like the tub in the back is the way to go

Smithy
03-03-2011, 04:07 AM
I use 8mm rope in the cockpit as there is less water drag on it so you have more chance of your ground tackle staying put. What I do though is have a fixed, 6m length of 12mm with a Carabina clip (actually more the snap hook thing) one end and an eye splice the other. The eye splice goes over your bow roller. Tie this rope back to a cleat in the cockpit but once you deploy your anchor, clip on your bouy with an Ezy Lift Clip or Anchor Yanka etc. then clip onto your anchor line with a grannys glasses clove hitch and let the clip come around the front for the 6m. You will now have to cleat off your anchor rope that is coming out of the cockpit but you can put a bit of weight on your cleat and walk yourself across if you missed the spot as it is a bit of bridle. Obviously you can turn your motors left and right and get yourself over the spot but with my method you never need to get out of the cockpit ever.

brisbane_boy
03-03-2011, 06:30 AM
it wasnt krazy kate was it? saw it for sale

dan12345
03-03-2011, 02:55 PM
it wasnt krazy kate was it? saw it for sale

no mate not krazy kate, the boat i got wasnt even advertised

frankgrimes
03-03-2011, 03:25 PM
no mate not krazy kate, the boat i got wasnt even advertised

Post some pics of her mate!

tropicrows
03-03-2011, 03:43 PM
I use 8mm rope in the cockpit as there is less water drag on it so you have more chance of your ground tackle staying put. What I do though is have a fixed, 6m length of 12mm with a Carabina clip (actually more the snap hook thing) one end and an eye splice the other. The eye splice goes over your bow roller. Tie this rope back to a cleat in the cockpit but once you deploy your anchor, clip on your bouy with an Ezy Lift Clip or Anchor Yanka etc. then clip onto your anchor line with a grannys glasses clove hitch and let the clip come around the front for the 6m. You will now have to cleat off your anchor rope that is coming out of the cockpit but you can put a bit of weight on your cleat and walk yourself across if you missed the spot as it is a bit of bridle. Obviously you can turn your motors left and right and get yourself over the spot but with my method you never need to get out of the cockpit ever.

Sorry Smithy, I'm a pictures man..;) .. always have been. I think I get what your saying but a sketch would really help my head get around what your saying.

dan12345
03-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Post some pics of her mate!

mate will post some pics as soon as i have her at home,im away for work till the 17th >:( bought it 2 weeks ago the day i flew out for work an have to wait 4 weeks till i can be home again to pick it up,possibly the longest 4 weeks ever:-?