PDA

View Full Version : Catch & Release ...... why ?

NAGG
01-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Hi Ausfishers

We have another thread going about C&R but I'm interested to hear how & why people got into C&R ........ or . .......... why people have not ?

Now this is not a debate about the morals etc ........ just a why & how - so its not meant to be a shite fight - so lets refrain from it!

Finally - I have included a poll to get a feel if C&R is something that is associated with a certain generation.

Chris

TheRealAndy
01-03-2011, 09:00 PM
I dont eat much seafood, so makes no sense to keep it. Only keep it if I know I can offload it to someone who will eat it.

Tangles
01-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Nagg,

i do both as im sure a few Ausfishers do as well, for example a small squire, released, a pan sized ill keep. So if the poll was strictly C&R then no, though we released a few fish on Sunday and kept some for a feed.

mike

NAGG
01-03-2011, 09:07 PM
I will start it off

I predominantly practice catch & release because for me the thrill of fishing is the hunt & the capture ..... in an addition to often the environment or adventure associated.
I can take a photo for my own pleasure (& others) knowing that the fish has been released with care giving someone else the opportunity to experience the same.
I will take the occasional fish for the table - usually when away as part of the evening meal - but a feed is not my motivation for fishing.

Chris

NAGG
01-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Nagg,

i do both as im sure a few Ausfishers do as well, for example a small squire, released, a pan sized ill keep. So if the poll was strictly C&R then no, though we released a few fish on Sunday and kept some for a feed.

mike

Hi Mike .... That's why I said predominantly .

So if your the type of fishoe that catches a fish & throws it back more often or not ..... I'll call you a C&R fishoe ( If I go up north ..... I will fish through the day & throw everything back - till we say need a fish for dinner that night....... so i'm C&R

On the other hand - if you go fishing and take your bag (or enough to satisfy your needs ) then release your additional catch ...... I would say that you are not a C&R fishoe

Finally those that C&R everything or keep pretty well everything (within the law) - well they are straight forward

Chris

NAGG
01-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Nagg,

mike

Hi again Mike

based on that scenario - I would not say that you're not a C&R fishoe ( with no malice or judgement) as you fish with a goal of taking the right fish for a meal .

chris

NAGG
01-03-2011, 09:37 PM
I dont eat much seafood, so makes no sense to keep it. Only keep it if I know I can offload it to someone who will eat it.

So you fish for the enjoyment / sport ? - if you catch a fish and think that someone would enjoy it .. (every now and then) - I would say your fish C&R predominantly

I have a mate that never eats fish ...... but catches them to give to his parents regularly ( so not a C&R fishoe) - He releases a lot of fish but at the end of the day he has a fish or two to clean.

a young bloke I know who does a lot of gamefishing ( tag & release of marlin - tuna etc) ....... will always bring home his limit of YFT / dollies or kingies for the family - he will probably kill me - but he is not a C&R fishoe ...... boarderline but

Chris

Tangles
01-03-2011, 09:39 PM
hi Nagg,

I've never really caught a bag, just enjoy getting out there, fish are a bonus, always will be, company out there is more important to me, but I dont mind taking a couple home for the table, and will happily throw them back too.

Some of the best fishing trips ive had have been mixed, ie on charter with mates, or pure C&R with lures only with crushed barbs etc with no intention of keeping a fish, common thread is the company not what sort of fisho i am.

cheers
mike

Mark-P
01-03-2011, 09:42 PM
I choose the last option . When i do get to go, im usual entertaining my 2 girls !
I only have them on the weekend but they love fishing, for the first hour . We only
take home enough for the 3 of us, & thats if we get lucky ! The reason i started the other thread was based on experiences from my youth & some of the older generation i know ......... It refreshing to know the youth of today are conscious in some ways .

Mark

NAGG
01-03-2011, 09:49 PM
hi Nagg,

I've never really caught a bag, just enjoy getting out there, fish are a bonus, always will be, company out there is more important to me, but I dont mind taking a couple home for the table, and will happily throw them back too.

Some of the best fishing trips ive had have been mixed, ie on charter with mates, or pure C&R with lures only with crushed barbs etc with no intention of keeping a fish, common thread is the company not what sort of fisho i am.

cheers
mike

mike ... you are in the too hard basket ;D ....... but in honesty a fair few people would fall between that crack ,
So just ask yourself - what is your motivation for fishing ? - feed or fun

during the 90's - I would have sat close to the middle ( kept a lot - let a hell of a lot go) ....... there was a 150lt esky on mt boat to allow decent fish to be kept.

My current boat has a 60lt live bait tank & a 60lt esky

chris

TheRealAndy
01-03-2011, 10:15 PM
So you fish for the enjoyment / sport ? - if you catch a fish and think that someone would enjoy it .. (every now and then) - I would say your fish C&R predominantly

I have a mate that never eats fish ...... but catches them to give to his parents regularly ( so not a C&R fishoe) - He releases a lot of fish but at the end of the day he has a fish or two to clean.

a young bloke I know who does a lot of gamefishing ( tag & release of marlin - tuna etc) ....... will always bring home his limit of YFT / dollies or kingies for the family - he will probably kill me - but he is not a C&R fishoe ...... boarderline but

Chris

I am def C&R and I chose that in the poll. I do occasionally keep a fish for myself, but is very very rare. Beside the last 1770 trip on lucky phills boat, I think the last time I kept a fish for me to eat was a few whiting maybe 2-3 year ago.

Tangles
01-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Nagg,

motivation? never ever been out purely for a feed, more for relaxation/mates, i simply wouldnt want to fish for that pure reason of getting a feed, but saying that, a plate of fresh fish one has caught that day cant be beat, or the pleasure of giving some to family as well, more about getting away.

always been about getting out there with mates and enjoying the good/bad weather, using rods/reels for the first time, the anticipation of what may happen that day,... and the usual acceptance it didnt happen but next time.

I dont have any judgement on others who C&R or those who stay within the bag limits, their call.

dodgyone
01-03-2011, 10:46 PM
I fish 3-4 major comps a year that are predmonantly C & R. Plus the lead ups so that gives me pretty much 3-4 months that I fish a couple of times a week and rarely keeping a fish.
However, my family loves fish so I do a few specific trips a year with the purpose of a freezer stockup.

swabio
02-03-2011, 03:21 AM
i don't eat much fish at all, but my wife, kids and parents love it...... so I go for the fun side of fishing for me, and if lucky enough, will bring some home for them to enjoy..... also makes it that little bit easier to get the odd solo leave pass ;)

I also take the kids fishing, as they love it also, initially they wanted to bring all the fish home and put in the aquarium, now they are happy to let most go, and bring a couple home now and then for them to eat.

So all in all not a C&R!

Sevric
02-03-2011, 06:32 AM
I guess i have released more fish than i have kept in the last 10 years or so. For me it is no longer about showing how many fish you can catch but rather keeping a nice fish for a feed for the wife and i and releasing the others. The present Snapper closure has seen me change fishing tactics a little releasing all Snapper and keeping the Grunter by catch for the table. Previously this was reversed.
I am paranoid about releasing fish in the best possible condition and so never remove them from the water or touch them with my hands. My boat is small so i simply lean over the side with a pair of pliers and remove the hook while the fish is in the net and release it. If i determine the fish will not survive well it is kept.

TimiBoy
02-03-2011, 06:59 AM
If it's within the bag and size limit I keep it. I don't get out much, and I enjoy eating the stuff. I don't mind it frozen, sure, fresh is better, but frozen is still good.

If I feel I have a bit too much (whatever that is) I give some to my Staff. There are a couple of struggling Families out there that I have given fish too as well. Don't they love it!

Cheers,

Tim

Apollo
02-03-2011, 07:40 AM
As a general rule, I release most of my fresh water caught stuff and keep (within the rules) a feed of saltwater fish, depending on what is caught. It also depends whether I have some in the freezer. I love seafood and especially the ones I have caught. I fall probably in the same category as Mike.

Steve

Dodgy_Back
02-03-2011, 08:07 AM
I use to catch and release most every trip. Mainly because I hate cleaning fish.
Lately though I have been keeping more fish as the kids love them and I have got better at cleaning them makes the decision easier.
What annoys me of late is the rant some guys give you if you kill a few good bream or Jacks.

Some of our fellow anglers are a bit fanatical about the catch and release scene.

brenno360
02-03-2011, 08:34 AM
If I feel I have a bit too much (whatever that is) I give some to my Staff. There are a couple of struggling Families out there that I have given fish too as well. Don't they love it!

Cheers,

Tim

good on ya timiboy, seeing someone helping out a struggling family, we all know everyone needs help at some point, so good thing your doing there keep up the good work,

as for me I'm mainly C&R, but if i feel like a feed ill take a few fish just to feed the family for a night or two, but mainly i go down the creek spend a few hours with my brother flicking some softies just for the fun of it and to get away reality for a while,

cheers brenno

Scott nthQld
02-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Bit of a yes/no for me.

I personally love seafood, if i could have it everyday i would, so normally I go fishing and keep desirable species, any undesirables go back. but a lot of times I do go fishing with the specific intention of C&R, though these are mostly targetting undesirable species like fresh water barra, trevally, tarpon etc. I usually always take something along to keep fish in if i decide to take some home though

finga
02-03-2011, 09:40 AM
I eat them.
Nothing like fresh fish and chips on the table
When we get enough for a feed or two (more like lucky enough) we go home and wash the boat and/or gear and start peeling the spuds for the chips.
We all love a feed of fish around here even if the fish is a catfish...yummo!!

But if we get an undesirable species like a stingray or something we definitely release it unharmed and I have been known to do my narna at people killing a ray for the heck of it.

NAGG
02-03-2011, 09:41 AM
I use to catch and release most every trip. Mainly because I hate cleaning fish.
Lately though I have been keeping more fish as the kids love them and I have got better at cleaning them makes the decision easier.
What annoys me of late is the rant some guys give you if you kill a few good bream or Jacks.

Some of our fellow anglers are a bit fanatical about the catch and release scene.

Yeh , trying to avoid that hard core stuff of If you knock a decent fish on the head for the table - you're the worst bugger around .
I've gotta say though - there is a lot to be said for releasing bigger breeders ...... I know I'm not likely to kill a meter salty barra - a big flathead , snapper , bass , mulloway or even a bream ......... aside from that they are often not as good to eat as smaller ones - but they are the fish that will be either female & or the robust breeders (better level of recruitment & survival).

Something else that I noticed on a personal level was ....... as my fishing skills improved & I went from catch the odd good fish to catching them consistently ..... It became easier to put back a good fish rather than "wow look what I caught" , now bang it on the head / call the family as its fish tonight. I still have fond memories of releasing my first decent mulloway 65617 ........ & it got easier after that

Chris

Peter4
02-03-2011, 11:35 AM
I think a lot of it comes down to the reason as to why you go fishing.

To me its not about food. Got heaps in the pantry and can buy fish'n'chips whenever the mood strikes me...

Mostly I go fishing to spend valuable time with my son (constant fishing partner), to relax and to escape the stresses of modern day life. I practice 100% catch and release but that is my choice and I have absolutely no objections for anyone taking a legal feed of fish...

Regs

Pete

Spot82
02-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Most of my fish is kept for food, there is no way I am releasing a red emperor, they are far too tasty!! In saying that on the old occasion I have had to release them as we had our bag limit. In saying that a lot of by catch is released, spangled emperor, parrot, etc if it is in good condition. I wish fish like cod released better but unfortunately this isn't the case.

I have a lot of family and friends who love fish and I am happy to share it with them, because a lot of the fun is in the catching, although sitting round the table with friends/family enjoying a lovely meal is also very enjoyable! And those people that say fish don't freeze well, then you are packing your fish wrong or freezing the wrong types of fish... Being that I eat fish 3-4 times a week it would be very expensive for me to go to a shop and purchase it, and besides you typically get crap anyway!

In saying all of that if I go snapper fishing, i will release most of the catch unless someone i am out with wants one for the table. They don't eat well compared to other reef species however they are great fun to catch on light gear. And the big breeders are always released if possible, a 2-3kg fish is much better eating than a 5kg+ one.

PS if you don't like eating fish, why go out and harm animals for fun? Thats a bit like spanish bull fighting isn't it?? Plus there is all the other environmental impacts like pollution, etc.... Hence why C&R has been banned in many overseas countries! ;)

swabio
02-03-2011, 01:46 PM
If it's within the bag and size limit I keep it. I don't get out much, and I enjoy eating the stuff. I don't mind it frozen, sure, fresh is better, but frozen is still good.

Cheers,

Tim

Good job Tim, although my wife is an absolute bandit for fish! As is the whole family......pretty much everyone except me..... although I eat a bit if it is fresh out of the water....... they absolutely devour it all ;) Have been known to throw the odd fish to friends etc as well......

BTW can't bloody wait to actually catch some fish!

Chris Ryan
02-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Being allergic to seafood - and so is my immediate family - the decision to C&R is easy for me. Although the last fishing trip I had was last September.

:/

odes20
02-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Good to see you keep a feed as well Nagg, when you choose.

I keep most fish that are edible to eat or share. (within bag limits of course).

Also I find a lotof fish dont eat as well as they get bigger. A few exceptions are fingermark up north, Large mouth Nannygai, and Red Emporer.

Reef going Jacks are no prize eating fish after about 3 kg. Thay taste awful when big IMO.

Always release others with as much care as possible
John

NAGG
02-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Most of my fish is kept for food, there is no way I am releasing a red emperor, they are far too tasty!! In saying that on the old occasion I have had to release them as we had our bag limit. In saying that a lot of by catch is released, spangled emperor, parrot, etc if it is in good condition. I wish fish like cod released better but unfortunately this isn't the case.

I have a lot of family and friends who love fish and I am happy to share it with them, because a lot of the fun is in the catching, although sitting round the table with friends/family enjoying a lovely meal is also very enjoyable! And those people that say fish don't freeze well, then you are packing your fish wrong or freezing the wrong types of fish... Being that I eat fish 3-4 times a week it would be very expensive for me to go to a shop and purchase it, and besides you typically get crap anyway!

In saying all of that if I go snapper fishing, i will release most of the catch unless someone i am out with wants one for the table. They don't eat well compared to other reef species however they are great fun to catch on light gear. And the big breeders are always released if possible, a 2-3kg fish is much better eating than a 5kg+ one.

PS if you don't like eating fish, why go out and harm animals for fun? Thats a bit like spanish bull fighting isn't it?? Plus there is all the other environmental impacts like pollution, etc.... Hence why C&R has been banned in many overseas countries ! ;)

In simplistic way you are correct ..... but then you would have to kill everything you catch .... then eat it - live baiting would be a big no no.
In reality - most fish have a great survival rate if handled correctly - fish caught on lures even better , the use of circle hooks when game fishing - all add to a fishes chance of survival
Deep water C&R - that needs to be better thought out !
Fortunately most people who fish C&R do try their best to release fish in the best condition.
Thankfully C&R is allowed and encouraged ........

Chris

odes20
02-03-2011, 04:33 PM
In simplistic way you are correct ..... but then you would have to kill everything you catch .... then eat it - live baiting would be a big no no.
In reality - most fish have a great survival rate if handled correctly - fish caught on lures even better , the use of circle hooks when game fishing - all add to a fishes chance of survival
Fortunately most people who fish C&R do try their best to release fish in the best condition.

Chris

You struggled to answer his point Chris=in respect of hurting animals just for the thrill. I dont have a better explanation myself other than to say a preservation purist would never go and catch a fish on purpose, ever, so catch and release people could never feel above fish eaters again, from a love of animals/preserve the species philosophy?
It would be like, "Please dont eat all the fish as we want some left that we can hurt in the future just for our pleasure?"

Difficult Issues.

John

byron_moses
02-03-2011, 05:35 PM
have practised catch and release for a while now, dont get me wrong i do keep the odd flathead between 40-55cm and a feed of whiting. but there is just something about whatching a fish big or small swim out of the hand that gets me everytime

Spot82
02-03-2011, 06:05 PM

Chris

I have nothing against catch and release but find it difficult to be made out to be the "bad guy" for keeping fish, or the C&R fisho making themselves out to be above the rec fisho that goes and catches a feed.

I don't go estuary fishing nearly at all, and if i did it would be to chase Jacks which would be released after a happy snap. Rarely go trolling but once again would let any billfish go that was caught.

From my understanding there is very little data on the survival rate of released fish, especially reef species?? The fish might swim away but how long will it survive for?? Especially if you have had to deflate its swim bladder? the difference in pressure between the surface and 60m down is immense and this could not be good in any for for the internal organs of a fish, if it were a human we would undoubtedly get the benz and die if not treated. Obviously estuary species are a different story and bream and the like are very hardy species.

I took my point to the extreme because the minority groups that undoubtedly sway our governments legislations are very much extreme themselves. I think as recreational fisherman we all need to be united to ensure we can all enjoy our favourite passtime whether we keep a feed or not ;)

Big Deez
02-03-2011, 06:18 PM
I have nothing against catch and release but find it difficult to be made out to be the "bad guy" for keeping fish, or the C&R fisho making themselves out to be above the rec fisho that goes and catches a feed.

I don't go estuary fishing nearly at all, and if i did it would be to chase Jacks which would be released after a happy snap. Rarely go trolling but once again would let any billfish go that was caught.

From my understanding there is very little data on the survival rate of released fish, especially reef species?? The fish might swim away but how long will it survive for?? Especially if you have had to deflate its swim bladder? the difference in pressure between the surface and 60m down is immense and this could not be good in any for for the internal organs of a fish, if it were a human we would undoubtedly get the benz and die if not treated. Obviously estuary species are a different story and bream and the like are very hardy species.

I took my point to the extreme because the minority groups that undoubtedly sway our governments legislations are very much extreme themselves. I think as recreational fisherman we all need to be united to ensure we can all enjoy our favourite passtime whether we keep a feed or not ;)

DPI have done alot of research into the survival of line caught coral reef fish.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_5810.htm

In short red emperor, trout and small mouth survive well, large mouth not so good.

HeadBanger
02-03-2011, 08:25 PM
I voted 'yes, 10-20 years old'

Good idea for a poll Nagg, relfects on the other thread quite well I reckon.

I already stated why I enjoy C and R in the other thread, but I'll say it again.

1- I enjoy seeing fish swim off

2- The fish might be back there another day for me to catch them.

That being said, I'm not a 100% catch and release angler. I'll take a feed when I feel like it, and I'll release a few when I feel like it.

Cheers,
Kaidon

Chris1984
02-03-2011, 09:39 PM
i fillet and release every legal fish i catch8-)

wamjam
02-03-2011, 10:12 PM
I reckon we should state the type of fishing we do, this could change the way people look at our vote. I think a freshwater lure fisher is out fishing for the sport of catching a fish on an artificial bait. A deepsea saltwater fisher is out to catch a feed of bloody nice eating reaf fish. A soft plastic bream fisher would be more after the arti bait sport.
I'm a freshwater lurer, I love tricking a wild animal into bighting a peice of plastic or timber, so I C&R all the time, hoping to catch the same fish again or someone else could catch it.
But if I go to the Gulf fishing and get a fingermark or jack that is legal, its in the esky for tea....Normally we spend two weeks at the gulf a year and only bring half an engel of fillets home.
So I am a C and R when Im in the fresh and keep the odd salty.
Scott

wayno60
02-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Me and the ol girl love a feed of fish and probable have it twice a week.....so most fish i catch i keep but i have been know to release a big female flatties..last week while we out in the houseboat unless it was something substantial most of the bream and whiting went back.
For us fishing is about geting out on the water, spending time together (we both work shift work) and getting away from the daily grind.
Size and bag limits are in place for a reason and we stick to it.

NAGG
03-03-2011, 07:48 AM
I reckon we should state the type of fishing we do, this could change the way people look at our vote. I think a freshwater lure fisher is out fishing for the sport of catching a fish on an artificial bait. A deepsea saltwater fisher is out to catch a feed of bloody nice eating reaf fish. A soft plastic bream fisher would be more after the arti bait sport.
I'm a freshwater lurer, I love tricking a wild animal into bighting a peice of plastic or timber, so I C&R all the time, hoping to catch the same fish again or someone else could catch it.
But if I go to the Gulf fishing and get a fingermark or jack that is legal, its in the esky for tea....Normally we spend two weeks at the gulf a year and only bring half an engel of fillets home.
So I am a C and R when Im in the fresh and keep the odd salty.
Scott

Hi Scott

I wanted to keep the poll basic - interested in seeing the trend in age vs C&R.
I knew there would the caught in the middle group ...... that's why I said predominantly. I've got an upcoming trip to Borroloola & I can just about bet that a fish we be kept for the evening meal ....... :P but that's not the motivation for the trip .

Chris

kc
03-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Dangerous ground (or water) you tread. As was mentioned earlier. If the ONLY reason you fish is C & R then it is morally and ethically unjustifiable. If you C & R as a by product of a day out fishing which starts with the intent of catching a feed then you have a defendable position (in the court of public opinion). It does not need to be spent out here....you all understand the potential argument any well prepared anti-fishing activist could mount and there is no defendable explanation or excuse for C & R...for the pure fun of it.

KC

ejackulate
03-03-2011, 12:08 PM
This is easy for me in saltwater a feed of barra,thready or goldies are coming home with me,in the fresh all sooties barra and togas are always released unharmed to scare someone else.No eating swamp donkeys for me;D

nathank
03-03-2011, 12:25 PM
I almost always C & R.. Nothing better than seeing a big fish swim off knowing that you were lucky enough to have caught it. A picture is sufficient for me.
Will keep a flatty or two though and sometimes the whitting i have used as livebait gets filleted lol.

NAGG
03-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Dangerous ground (or water) you tread. As was mentioned earlier. If the ONLY reason you fish is C & R then it is morally and ethically unjustifiable. If you C & R as a by product of a day out fishing which starts with the intent of catching a feed then you have a defendable position (in the court of public opinion). It does not need to be spent out here....you all understand the potential argument any well prepared anti-fishing activist could mount and there is no defendable explanation or excuse for C & R...for the pure fun of it.

KC

So - once a feed has been obtained .... you should stop fishing.

As for morally & ethically unjustifiable (C&R) .... As far as I know , there is no law or morality issue which would suggest such . Fisheries NSW continue to do research on C&R and promote the practice.......
Fishing is also regarded as a legitimate sport.
Yes there are minority groups that would like to shut C&R down ...... followed by any forms of fishing ::).
That is one undeniable thing about C&R ....... fish survive

Chris

Camhawk88
03-03-2011, 02:45 PM

KC

Bullshit!!

Who are you to say it is morally or ethically unjustifiable? For the record I am a predominantly non C&R fishman but I have no issue with someone doing it just for fun.
So going by your above statement if you are fishing just for fun you cant justify it- so you fish purely for a feed? IF thats the case why not go to the co-op and buy it? Anyone will tell you it is cheaper than owning boats, fishing gear fuel etc etc.

I dont give a rats what a anit-fishing activist thinks- they do not desciminate over the reasons people fish- Im sure you will find these same people abhor others eating any form of seafood.

If we, as fishermen , feel twe can't express the joy we have for our pastime in a public forum for fear of being attacked by the tofu tossers then the fight has been lost.

You usually write good posts KC I dont know where this crap has come from.

kc
03-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Hi Chris,

agree with you and I am also guilty of being a hypocrit. I love fishing. I go away with mates every year to Weipa and C & R hundreds of fish, most that will make it, some that clearly will not. This isn't the point and it's not me you need to convince about the pure fun of fishing.....BUT....and I know this is the way the debate will travel in coming years.

IF the only reason you go fishing, is for the purpose of inflicting

.......Insert whatever emotive word you want i.e. pain/injury/ stress/ damage.............

on an animal, in the name of your "fun", how can it be morally justifyable.

I personally shudder at the "bream/bass comp" ACF thing, weighing the live fish in front of a cheering audience. I mean, what's the point. If the reason we fish is just for our own pleasure, and this pleasure is at the expense of a dumb animal.........hmmm! see where this is going.

Like I said, it's not me you need to convince. I have given up big game fishing a few years ago because I started to struggle with the ethics of it and now fish for fun but with the by product of my enjoyment being food. If I catch too many, or am in a situation (like at Weipa) where keeping lots of fish is not an option, then I C & R...but don't stop fishing...so, like I say, I'm a hypocrit...I get the "blood lust" up like any other "good old boy" and will C & R from daylight to dark when the bite is on. Doesn't make it RIGHT...it's just how I am.

The focus on C & R is our achilles heal, so is calling it a "sport". IMO the emphasis should be on catch and eat because there is not ethical problem what so ever in this approach.....Food for thought!!

KC

kc
03-03-2011, 03:07 PM
& Cam I guess this "crap" comes from seeing the way this went in Germany (the birthplace of green politics) and also an awareness of the way politics will be played out over here...maybe not this year, or the next but in due coarse, as the green movement spreads it tenticles...this is the way the debate will go over here and it just worries me, always has, that the focus more and more towards C & R leaves us wide open. If the focus was fish for food, no issue and C & R was a responsible by product of the primary "fish for food" mentality, again, a no brainer. I just think we are setting ourselves up for a fall. Underestimate these bastards at your peril. They are well funded, fanatical and won't go away. What has happened to fishing in my lifetime is just the tip of the icebreg and it gathers pace every year...more and more restrictions, more and more impediments and putting our heads in the sand about the way these guys think isn't going to make it go away.

Think of this "crap" as me being devils advocate.....blog it with me in one corner and I'm happy to wear some flack, knowing full well I am a hypocrit for even raising the issue, because I just love fishing....justy about all and any form and C & R'd literally thousands of fish over the years.

Again, I just think something I have spent a lifetime involved in, at all levels, has a biase towards C & R which makes it a target, and that worries the hell out of me. Not the ethics of C & R, but that we are setting ourselves up for a fall.

KC

Camhawk88
03-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Ok fair enough playing devils advocate and I have an awareness of the tact that will be taken by these pricks however as I mentioned they dont descriminate. To them a fisherman is still a dirty low eco vandal that takes great pleasure in the suffering of defencless animals regardless of the reasons.

As you say thay are fanatics and regardless of the reasons we give they will never be good enough- so i say enjoy your fishing and make no bones about why you enjoy it. I'll be a long time cold before I pander to the sensitivities of those pricks.

So if you are a greeny reading this and you dont like fishing- WELL I LOVE IT AND I DO IT FOR THE PURE FUN OF IT. FISH ALSO TASTE GOOD- BIT LIKE WHALE.

You see KC I believe if the shit hits the fan and fishing does get banned- that this comment I have just made will have absolutely no bearing on the outcome.

wayno60
03-03-2011, 03:22 PM
i knew where you were going with this one

.......Insert whatever emotive word you want i.e. pain/injury/ stress/ damage.............

on an animal, in the name of your "fun", how can it be morally justifyable.

So this takes in horse racing, the dogs, the trotts, cane toad racers, can it even mean the dolphins at seaworld........

Where will it end if we let it get out of hand?

At least we try and put the fish back into the water as easily as posable.....not like jap whalers, (but its for science)....crap!!!....and the way they massacre dolphins is just very wrong.

Chamelion
03-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Primarily catch and release to a large percentage. I very rarely keep a fish for the table.

odes20
03-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Well Well!

Any one could see where this thread would lead who has been on here for a while. Nagg is a constant preacher of the virtues of the catch and release brigade.

Ive seen him nagging away at this issue in other threads and its no suprise that in this one he created an opportunity for himself to keep trying to seed the debate with his pet beliefs that somehow the Cand R guys are just a bit out in front of the pack morally, even though in starting this thread he appealed to not have the discussions of the morality of the issues included.

Cunning. And he will plead he never meant anything of the kind. But it really is just like his moralising in other threads. And here guys are at each others throats
over misunderstandings. The debate has been had on here before nagg, so let it die instead of being a serial campaigner.

Cheers
John

FNQCairns
03-03-2011, 04:17 PM
My tastes have changed c&r is the fairly selfish side of angling today, today I would c&r a hungry jacks burger and a mackas burger but probably not a kfc chicken fillet burger.

I find I bring home over time a fair few of first two brands of burger because it's not all about me in this regard.

Fishing is much the same for some reason probably self interest/laziness bringing a fish home that was to be for me only, I may not do it and certainly wouldn't bring a lot back it's too much work after the fact with the boat thrown in and near dark.

I have known quite a few dedicated C&R anglers over my time and without fail every single one has fallen within a few category's 1. was simply do not like fish to eat , not to their taste, it's about the photo boast 2. Too lazy to do all the extra work involved and it is a lot extra sometimes 3.too much of a skirt to touch yucky things 4.cannot give a toss about those near to them who might enjoy a simple feed. 5. it's all about the bits and pieces of tackle/gear and nothing else 6. still too young/inexperienced and didn't have a solid role model to show/include them in the basics of what is bread and butter fishing while growing up, so their outlook remains stunted/immature

With my hand on my heart I can honestly say I have never known a C&R angler who did not fall into one of the category's above even if an amalgam of more than one still they will all trot out an almost radical like shade of green excuse as the real reason why they fish 'of to the side psychologically' never ever the personality trait/phobia/OCD that is the real driver of the behavior.

finga
03-03-2011, 04:46 PM
What's whale taste like?
Chicken??

kc
03-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Nah, more like a cross between koala and platapus;)

wayno60
03-03-2011, 06:09 PM
every thing taste like chicken...apart from fish and that taste like......ummmm fish

nigelr
03-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Hmmm..... Absolutely no interest at all in C&R.
Love my fishing but only go when we need/want a feed.
That's my kind of 'sustainability'!
Fortunately we all love eating fish!
Cheers.

Big Deez
03-03-2011, 06:51 PM
My tastes have changed c&r is the fairly selfish side of angling today, today I would c&r a hungry jacks burger and a mackas burger but probably not a kfc chicken fillet burger.

I find I bring home over time a fair few of first two brands of burger because it's not all about me in this regard.

Fishing is much the same for some reason probably self interest/laziness bringing a fish home that was to be for me only, I may not do it and certainly wouldn't bring a lot back it's too much work after the fact with the boat thrown in and near dark.

I have known quite a few dedicated C&R anglers over my time and without fail every single one has fallen within a few category's 1. was simply do not like fish to eat , not to their taste, it's about the photo boast 2. Too lazy to do all the extra work involved and it is a lot extra sometimes 3.too much of a skirt to touch yucky things 4.cannot give a toss about those near to them who might enjoy a simple feed. 5. it's all about the bits and pieces of tackle/gear and nothing else 6. still too young/inexperienced and didn't have a solid role model to show/include them in the basics of what is bread and butter fishing while growing up, so their outlook remains stunted/immature

With my hand on my heart I can honestly say I have never known a C&R angler who did not fall into one of the category's above even if an amalgam of more than one still they will all trot out an almost radical like shade of green excuse as the real reason why they fish 'of to the side psychologically' never ever the personality trait/phobia/OCD that is the real driver of the behavior.

Mate thats the biggest load of steaming hot excrement I've ever read on this site!! And thats saying something.

You're saying that catch and release anglers are stunted and immature? I have read alot of posts by you and have laughed off alot of them but this one really takes the cake. I know everyone is entitled to an opinion but saying catch and release fishers suffer from a personality trait/phobia/OCD is just plain rubbish. Surely everyone is entitled to do as they please and release fish if thats what they want to do and not be judged by you for doing so?

To categorise people you have never met in the way you have is just arrogance. But all in my opinion of course.

wamjam
03-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Nah, more like a cross between koala and platapus;)

Get it right kc, its pelican that taste a cross between koala and platapus !!::)

FNQCairns
03-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Mate thats the biggest load of steaming hot excrement I've ever read on this site!! And thats saying something.

You're saying that catch and release anglers are stunted and immature? I have read alot of posts by you and have laughed off alot of them but this one really takes the cake. I know everyone is entitled to an opinion but saying catch and release fishers suffer from a personality trait/phobia/OCD is just plain rubbish. Surely everyone is entitled to do as they please and release fish if thats what they want to do and not be judged by you for doing so?

To categorise people you have never met in the way you have is just arrogance. But all in my opinion of course.

Nah the post was not about you or those I had never met, I made it clear the cohort was only every dedicated C&R that I had ever known, i don't know everybody in the world and sincerely hope I never get to:)

NAGG
04-03-2011, 12:26 AM

Interesting ......... but you missed a biggy - Love angling but dont feel inclined to kill the fish.
I reckon the other group are the ones that see fishing as a challenge ...... the hunt (fly fisherman often fall into that category - the skill involved to entice a bite on an artificial) ....... these guys will target fish that have no eating qualities at all (Tarpon , bonefish , Saratoga etc) - I'm sure these guys & gals would take umbrage to your explanation.

Chris

NAGG
04-03-2011, 12:42 AM
Well Well!

Any one could see where this thread would lead who has been on here for a while. Nagg is a constant preacher of the virtues of the catch and release brigade.

Ive seen him nagging away at this issue in other threads and its no suprise that in this one he created an opportunity for himself to keep trying to seed the debate with his pet beliefs that somehow the Cand R guys are just a bit out in front of the pack morally, even though in starting this thread he appealed to not have the discussions of the morality of the issues included.

Cunning. And he will plead he never meant anything of the kind. But it really is just like his moralising in other threads. And here guys are at each others throats
over misunderstandings. The debate has been had on here before nagg, so let it die instead of being a serial campaigner.

Cheers
John

Way way off the mark John ....... This has nothing to do with my values , belief - whatever.
I'm curious to see if the trend for catch and release is associated with any age group ..... particularly younger fishoes.
Additionally - why ? ........ what drives someone to participate in catch and release rather than take the fish home for a feed.
so rather than second guess me ..... now you know:)

Chris

Lovey80
04-03-2011, 03:54 AM
Nagg,

I voted early but didn't comment because what Odes 20 wrote was almost bang on my thoughts also. I also thought you were trying to ascertain if finaly the younger generations were coming around to your ethics so that in the future all the rest of us will look like crazy old barbarians. You love to push your ethics onto others that are within the law. It has been a consistant pattern over time on this board. You can't blame anyone for taking this view of your intent. You made this bed yourself.

For me I am not a predominantly C&R Fisherman. I do have a personal size limit on a number of fish that is stronger than regulations ie Bream and Flat head. I guess part of that is because I find that killing a fish that is so small for so little benefit is a waste. It could be said that is a moral view although I have killed thousands of whitting in my time and will continue to do so because they taste great and are in abundance to take a lot.

Before anyone jumps on me and links the above comments with my advocacy of an increased size limit on Snapper in lieu of other restrictions. I will certainly take 35-40cm Snapper if thats all that is around. It's not moralistic ideals that push that advocacy. I simply want to catch bigger and bigger Snapper and am sick of releasing all of those just undersize fish.

I will also practice C&R fishing. If I ever find the time to make it to these dams of ours I certainly wont be eating any dam barra or jacks. I will often take a single trevally if that is all that is on offer but will C&R the rest because IMO the rest are not worth eating. Depending on the bait freezer stocks I will happily spin at mac tuna all day for fun.

Apollo
04-03-2011, 07:42 AM
I reckon the other group are the ones that see fishing as a challenge ...... the hunt (fly fisherman often fall into that category - the skill involved to entice a bite on an artificial) ....... these guys will target fish that have no eating qualities at all (Tarpon , bonefish , Saratoga etc) - I'm sure these guys & gals would take umbrage to your explanation.

Chris

Chris, most of my C&R fishing would fall into this category. Love chasing toga on fly. Wholly for the challenge - the preparation, the planning (including tying the flies), the hunt and the fight. I am finding that I am taking less and less photos now of the fish I catch, so the brag bit isn't an issue as much. Now it is usually just special ones (fish, catch, place, situation, etc) to remember or try for the more interesting photo (angle, close up, background, etc). All part of the experience and my enjoyment. Anyone who has fished with me knows I am passionate about ensuring the health of any fish I intend to return, but that is more of a respect thing for me.

Nothing green or superior about this. Actually it is pretty damn selfish on my behalf.

I take no offence to FNQ's comments as he doesn't know me (as he stated he doesn't know everyone) and his categories do account for a number of C&R fishermen and thats ok too.

As stated before, I also love going fishing for a feed (mainly saltwater species) as well and release only those outside the rules (size, species or limit) or not required as I love a feed of seafood - steamed ginger spanish fillets last night;D

I fish with mates that fall into all three categories of dedicated C&R, dedicated F&R and those like me - a bit of both. Great times with all of them.

An interesting situation occurred a couple of years ago when Mark (who enjoys more F&R) caught a black marlin off 1770, we had it boatside and I asked what he wanted to do? Bring it in to keep and eat? Bring it aboard to photograph and release? Release it boatside? I was happy and respected any option. As he was unconfident to being able to bring it aboard without injurying it, he gave the call to release it boatside. At that stage, he didn't even know if any of the photos I took during the fight had turned out. All about the health/respect for the fish. Fish swam away strongly. Happily the photos turned out. There is a bit of C&R and F&R in all of us.

All fishing - All good!!!

Steve

NAGG
04-03-2011, 08:13 AM
Nagg,

I voted early but didn't comment because what Odes 20 wrote was almost bang on my thoughts also. I also thought you were trying to ascertain if finaly the younger generations were coming around to your ethics so that in the future all the rest of us will look like crazy old barbarians. You love to push your ethics onto others that are within the law. It has been a consistant pattern over time on this board. You can't blame anyone for taking this view of your intent. You made this bed yourself.

For me I am not a predominantly C&R Fisherman. I do have a personal size limit on a number of fish that is stronger than regulations ie Bream and Flat head. I guess part of that is because I find that killing a fish that is so small for so little benefit is a waste. It could be said that is a moral view although I have killed thousands of whitting in my time and will continue to do so because they taste great and are in abundance to take a lot.

Before anyone jumps on me and links the above comments with my advocacy of an increased size limit on Snapper in lieu of other restrictions. I will certainly take 35-40cm Snapper if thats all that is around. It's not moralistic ideals that push that advocacy. I simply want to catch bigger and bigger Snapper and am sick of releasing all of those just undersize fish.

I will also practice C&R fishing. If I ever find the time to make it to these dams of ours I certainly wont be eating any dam barra or jacks. I will often take a single trevally if that is all that is on offer but will C&R the rest because IMO the rest are not worth eating. Depending on the bait freezer stocks I will happily spin at mac tuna all day for fun.

Just to quote myself

"Now this is not a debate about the morals etc ........ just a why & how - so its not meant to be a shite fight - so lets refrain from it!"

Now .... didn't I try to make it quite clear in my original post ?. Have I had a go at anyone who made a comment that did not practice C&R ? ....
I can tell you here & now , I have no hidden agenda ....
If I wanted a debate - I would have done so ..... I'm a pretty straight up bloke like that, so we can leave the conspiracy theory alone and let the poll run its course. Then if you like we can get stuck into ;)

Chris

Gazza
04-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Hmmm..... Absolutely no interest at all in C&R.
Love my fishing but only go when we need/want a feed.
That's my kind of 'sustainability'!
Fortunately we all love eating fish!
Cheers.Ditto

jmo DEEPwater C&R should be banned, unless undersize or a protected species, where C&R is mandatory by law.

Limit your C&R to shallower waters < 20mtrs or surface feeders,or throw your lures into a tree branch in the backyard and wear a blindfold ;D

NAGG
04-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Chris, most of my C&R fishing would fall into this category. Love chasing toga on fly. Wholly for the challenge - the preparation, the planning (including tying the flies), the hunt and the fight. I am finding that I am taking less and less photos now of the fish I catch, so the brag bit isn't an issue as much. Now it is usually just special ones (fish, catch, place, situation, etc) to remember or try for the more interesting photo (angle, close up, background, etc). All part of the experience and my enjoyment. Anyone who has fished with me knows I am passionate about ensuring the health of any fish I intend to return, but that is more of a respect thing for me.

Nothing green or superior about this. Actually it is pretty damn selfish on my behalf.

I take no offence to FNQ's comments as he doesn't know me (as he stated he doesn't know everyone) and his categories do account for a number of C&R fishermen and thats ok too.

As stated before, I also love going fishing for a feed (mainly saltwater species) as well and release only those outside the rules (size, species or limit) or not required as I love a feed of seafood - steamed ginger spanish fillets last night;D

I fish with mates that fall into all three categories of dedicated C&R, dedicated F&R and those like me - a bit of both. Great times with all of them.

An interesting situation occurred a couple of years ago when Mark (who enjoys more F&R) caught a black marlin off 1770, we had it boatside and I asked what he wanted to do? Bring it in to keep and eat? Bring it aboard to photograph and release? Release it boatside? I was happy and respected any option. As he was unconfident to being able to bring it aboard without injurying it, he gave the call to release it boatside. At that stage, he didn't even know if any of the photos I took during the fight had turned out. All about the health/respect for the fish. Fish swam away strongly. Happily the photos turned out. There is a bit of C&R and F&R in all of us.

All fishing - All good!!!

Steve

Hi Steve - There are too many motivations as to why one fishes .....
I know I have many reasons and different reasons for different styles of fishing. Fly fishing the alpine rivers for trout ..... is a stalking game , no blind casting (sight fishing) & then hope you are good enough to handle the situation , environment...... & have the right presentation - a surface take on dry fly is for me pretty close to the pinnacle of angling - not to mention the environment (except for those snakes) ....... love it

Chris

NAGG
04-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Ditto

jmo DEEPwater C&R should be banned, unless undersize or a protected species, where C&R is mandatory by law.

Limit your C&R to shallower waters < 20mtrs or surface feeders,or throw your lures into a tree branch in the backyard and wear a blindfold ;D

I'm good at throwing lures into a tree ..... just ask anyone who has fished mangrove creeks with me for jacks / barra on lures;D
I totally agree on C&R in deeper water ....... I'm sure the survival rate would be greatly diminished unless fish were handled with care and released at depth with a release weight.

Would it ever be possible to ban C&R without banning fishing :-?

Chris

Steve B
04-03-2011, 08:48 AM
What's whale taste like?
Chicken??

Scotty,

It tastes marginly better than lungfish...but then whale is a saltwater fish. everyone knows they taste better than fresh!;) ;D

Cheers Steve

PS: kill for fish of edible value, enough to eat and take home for a few feeds. C&R everything else.

Pretty simple.

bennykenny
04-03-2011, 08:59 AM
DEEPwater C&R should be banned, unless undersize or a protected species, where C&R is mandatory by law.
Why is it ok to release a undersized fish or protected species in deep water then, these fish are surly just going to die anyway,aren't they???

Gazza
04-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Why is it ok to release a undersized fish or protected species in deep water then, these fish are surely just going to die anyway,aren't they???L.A.W. mate , not allowed to "keep"

Mortality % is significantly higher than shallower waters.....so keep what you legally catch for the frypan ;)

bennykenny
04-03-2011, 09:37 PM
L.A.W. mate , not allowed to "keep"

Mortality % is significantly higher than shallower waters.....so keep what you legally catch for the frypan ;)
your argument doesnt make sense, you say they should BAN C&R in deep water, but you have to BY L.A.W catch and release some of the fish(undersized and protected). then by that logic they should either BAN deepwater fishing altogether or let you take everything you catch

TimiBoy
05-03-2011, 06:05 AM
...then by that logic they should either BAN deepwater fishing altogether or let you take everything you catch...

Yeah, and the first one is what the Greens are after.

Cheers,

Tim

wags on the water
05-03-2011, 09:15 AM
I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon before this thread is closed....

While up north working, I will go fishing on my days off to relax the mind and body --> because fishing relaxes me (believe it or not). I have released all of these fish. It's a place I go on my own and forget all the bs I have to put up with while working 1000kms from home.

When I do have time off at home, I won't hesitate to fill my esky when fishing offshore. If any of you have been out to the camps I stay in, then you'll know the quality of food served isn't very high. This is why I enjoy a feed of reefies and macs any chance I get. I have never and will never eat fish served up out here because even the chefs/cooks can't tell me what type of fish it is. It's usually "birds eye fresh".

I'm not looking for an opinion from other fisho's on what or how or why I should fish. I really don't give a rat's @rse what you think! This (as I found out last year) is a private forum not a public forum and I am entitled to my opinion.

This is what I do and I'm happy doing it.

SunnyCoastMark
05-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Hey Guys,
Interesting Poll Nagg. Haven't posted much lately, but you've brought me out of the closet;D

Personally and I guess like most here - I fish for fun and to hopefuly catch a feed.

I do have Boat Limits - such as - everything has to be over 45cm. I just don't have the time - nor patience to waste on cleaning small fish. That being said - if we have been out all day and don't have too much to show for it - then in the last hour catch a few smaller legal fish - we might keep them. So my boat rules are really more like "guidelines" ( to quote "The Pirates of the Carribean")

In the past, on this forum, I have stated that I have concerns with members posting photo's of large catches, as it doesn't help us at all in our "fight" with the greenies. My posts then, attracted some positive comments, but more negative ones.
This was surprising, because the theme, I guess, was that - I wanted my kids and grandkids to be able to enjoy fishing - just as I do. (and I assume that we all want the same thing in that regard?) So we need to be smart in how we portray ourselves - otherwise in no time at all - we will find ourselves so regulated, that the only places we can fish will be the local Barra Farm! .....and even there - I think it's catch and release only now!:(

Of course - I understand when a trip out wide in a big boat has cost over $300 or more in fuel, bait etc and so you want to keep most of your catch - I don't have a problem with that. - Just, please be smart with the photo's that you post.

We don't need to be giving them more ammunition........

Mark.

NAGG
05-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Catch & Release or Catch & Keep ........ If one gets banned - Both will ! You cannot have size / slot limits or seasonal closures without C&R. That is unless it is open slather ....... then we wont have a fishery to worry about anyway:(

Chris

NAGG
05-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Hey Guys,
Interesting Poll Nagg. Haven't posted much lately, but you've brought me out of the closet;D

Personally and I guess like most here - I fish for fun and to hopefuly catch a feed.

I do have Boat Limits - such as - everything has to be over 45cm. I just don't have the time - nor patience to waste on cleaning small fish. That being said - if we have been out all day and don't have too much to show for it - then in the last hour catch a few smaller legal fish - we might keep them. So my boat rules are really more like "guidelines" ( to quote "The Pirates of the Carribean")

In the past, on this forum, I have stated that I have concerns with members posting photo's of large catches, as it doesn't help us at all in our "fight" with the greenies. My posts then, attracted some positive comments, but more negative ones.
This was surprising, because the theme, I guess, was that - I wanted my kids and grandkids to be able to enjoy fishing - just as I do. (and I assume that we all want the same thing in that regard?) So we need to be smart in how we portray ourselves - otherwise in no time at all - we will find ourselves so regulated, that the only places we can fish will be the local Barra Farm! .....and even there - I think it's catch and release only now!:(

Of course - I understand when a trip out wide in a big boat has cost over $300 or more in fuel, bait etc and so you want to keep most of your catch - I don't have a problem with that. - Just, please be smart with the photo's that you post.

We don't need to be giving them more ammunition........

Mark.

That's a good post Mark - thanks

I honestly wouldn't have too much concerns about the influence of the likes of PETA will have on fishing in Australia - Fishing is the most popular passtime in this country - we are a coastal continent where the majority of the population live close to the coast...... and so fishing goes hand in hand . Europe is a different kettle of fish where the population (%) who fish are far lower ..... so it is easier for PETA to gain political favour -
Any party that tried to ban fishing of any type in Australia would be committing political suicide (Like trying to ban firearms in the US) ....... they can try to limit it - but only to a point .

Chris

Gazza
05-03-2011, 01:25 PM
your argument doesnt make sense, you say they should BAN C&R in deep water, but you have to BY L.A.W catch and release some of the fish(undersized and protected). then by that logic they should either BAN deepwater fishing altogether or let you take everything you catchHi bk, understand your angle/pov m8 ;) .......my typo ;D

I "say" the C&R only dudes should be just dis-encouraged from DEEPwater skill/thrills :-* ...not BANNED persay :P
(I'll gimme self an uppercut:D , maybe 2 or 3 ;D )

odes20
05-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Catch & Release or Catch & Keep ........ If one gets banned - Both will ! You cannot have size / slot limits or seasonal closures without C&R. That is unless it is open slather ....... then we wont have a fishery to worry about anyway:(

Chris

True Grit greenies will have CR fishos banned first as thats where they would get the most support. Fishing for food will be impossible to uproot. I think if Swiss is any example.
There will prob be some real cheap boats around when it happens for us Catch and Eat fishos.

John

bennykenny
05-03-2011, 09:55 PM
True Grit greenies will have CR fishos banned first as thats where they would get the most support. Fishing for food will be impossible to uproot. I think if Swiss is any example.
There will prob be some real cheap boats around when it happens for us Catch and Eat fishos.

John
how can they possibly ban catch and release fishing, and not ban fishing for food at the same time. i could still go fishing and say im catching fish for food and then just throw them back in the water, whoops i dropped it!!!
Impossible to do it.

NAGG
05-03-2011, 11:22 PM

John

Tag & Release ....... for research :)

Chris

davez104
06-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Haven't had a chance to read the whole thread, but I got into catch and release by being involved with our local fish stocking group. Having the stocked fish in our local river made it a very enjoyable place to spend an afternoon soaking a bait or flicking a lure, so why wouldn't you put them back?

The only sort of fish I don't really C&R is reef fish, if I'm fishing for reefies then I'm fishing for food, if I don't want to put fish in the freezer I won't target reefies. I reckon the mortality of released reefies is too high to target them for the purpose of release.

I'm currently enjoying the challenge of targeting tuna on fly, that's all C&R too.

nathank
06-03-2011, 01:36 PM

Man thats nuts.. I know tons of ppl who catch and release only.. just for me anyway i have one good reason.. Ever had a chat to a old timer and heard him whinge about how good the old days where when you could go down the river and catch 2 or 3 sugar bags full of fish every day.. and in the same sentence say its not like that anymore.. catch and release is about general awareness that this fishery isn't endless.
The population has grown so has our technology. Try fishing for big yellowfin.. or southern blues.. ever seen gemfish on the menu at the fish and chip shops or blue grenadier or hake.. i just dont think that eating fish is a right.. its a privilage.
Bagging out on fish to give to your neighbours etc does nothing but feed our ego.. its so the ppl next door think ....mate he is a good bloke.

As far as your list is concerned i find the opposite on a few aspects. I catch and release and my mate who come with me who dont are the ones usually asking me to tie their knots and get the fish off etc. lol.
Anyway... i Guess its hard for some people to understand when you go reef fishing up north..

Gazza
06-03-2011, 03:20 PM
-Ever had a chat to a old timer and heard him whinge about how good the old days where when you could go down the river and catch 2 or 3 sugar bags full of fish every day..
and in the same sentence say its not like that anymore..

-The population has grown so has our technology.

-As far as your list is concerned i find the opposite on a few aspects. I catch and release and my mate who come with me who dont are the ones usually asking me to tie their knots and get the fish off etc. lol. Maaate , the bag & size limits ......c-h-a-n-g-e ::)

I reckon you "still could" catch a few sugarbags of SNAPPER/BREAM , if the sizelimit was 25cms :-* and the bag was unlimited.

The guys asking you to check their knots.....are just trying to bignote/pat you on the back , for being an eggspurt 8-)

and you should get their fish off , to put in the Esky , because NONE of yours are contributing to the FEED ;D

tic m8 , & why can't you C&R eggspurts fish in NFZ(s) withALL your "technology" :P :P :P

odes20
06-03-2011, 10:37 PM
how can they possibly ban catch and release fishing, and not ban fishing for food at the same time. i could still go fishing and say im catching fish for food and then just throw them back in the water, whoops i dropped it!!!
Impossible to do it.

They have done it in Switzeland . Google it

John

odes20
06-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Man thats nuts.. I know tons of ppl who catch and release only.. just for me anyway i have one good reason.. Ever had a chat to a old timer and heard him whinge about how good the old days where when you could go down the river and catch 2 or 3 sugar bags full of fish every day.. and in the same sentence say its not like that anymore.. catch and release is about general awareness that this fishery isn't endless.
The population has grown so has our technology. Try fishing for big yellowfin.. or southern blues.. ever seen gemfish on the menu at the fish and chip shops or blue grenadier or hake.. i just dont think that eating fish is a right.. its a privilage.
Bagging out on fish to give to your neighbours etc does nothing but feed our ego.. its so the ppl next door think ....mate he is a good bloke.

As far as your list is concerned i find the opposite on a few aspects. I catch and release and my mate who come with me who dont are the ones usually asking me to tie their knots and get the fish off etc. lol.
Anyway... i Guess its hard for some people to understand when you go reef fishing up north..

So you think hes nuts/ Pot calling the kettle black insnt it?

The species you have largely mentioned are declining from commercial overfishing are they not?
But too say anyone who has a good bag and shares them with neighbors is ego driven to just make your neighbors think he is a good bloke is being completely nutty.
Random acts of kindness is a beaut part of the expression of the better side of human nature, generosity is also.

Im glad I dont have you for a neighbor

John

wayno60
06-03-2011, 11:38 PM
From the starter of this thread

Now this is not a debate about the morals etc ........ just a why & how - so its not meant to be a shite fight - so lets refrain from it!

Starting to get that way...lets get back on track.

NAGG
07-03-2011, 06:46 AM
From the starter of this thread

Starting to get that way...lets get back on track.

Yep - agree .......

Some interesting figures coming out of the poll though ..... I just wish that I narrowed the age group down .

Chris

bennykenny
07-03-2011, 10:00 AM
They have done it in Switzeland . Google it

John
[The laws come into effect in 2009 but while the Swiss government does not mention Catch and Release specifically, it does say that "it is not permitted to go fishing with the 'intention' to release the fish." ]
As was my point, Intention is very hard to prove.

nathank
07-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Ok maybe my views are a bit limited to some species.. i guess im targeting fish that can be fished out of an area fairly easy.. Namely jacks, ive also seen a massive decline in other species as well at spots i have fished in the past. Jewies in the Narooma inlet is a prime example. I just guess i believe some fish are best let go to give other people the chance to catch them and keep the fishery healthy.. Anyway each to their own. I will still practice my C and R for my own reasons and if people want to keep their fill its no drama with me.. You have to admit though compared to 40years ago catch and release is now 100 times more popular.

Gazza
08-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Ok maybe my views are a bit limited to some species.. i guess im targeting fish that can be fished out of an area fairly easy.. Namely jacks, ive also seen a massive decline in other species as well at spots i have fished in the past. Jewies in the Narooma inlet is a prime example. I just guess i believe some fish are best let go to give other people the chance to catch them and keep the fishery healthy.. Anyway each to their own. I will still practice my C and R for my own reasons and if people want to keep their fill its no drama with me.. You have to admit though compared to 40years ago catch and release is now 100 times more popular.
Could explain why they do "mortality testing" nowadays , and create more & more NFZ(s) where YOU(s) can't C&R :o :o :P
Think about it , is it YOU(s) enjoying C&R/Sport for your "own thrills" , and NOT "Fishing for a FEED"

:-X

Gazza
08-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Yep - agree .......
Some interesting figures coming out of the poll though ..... I just wish that I narrowed the age group down .
Chris:P Yep ,when you're young :-* , you don't know how to Fillet properly :P so prefer to C&R

As you get "more mature".....YOU DO !! ;D so prefer to FEED your Family

TimiBoy
08-03-2011, 05:28 PM
You have to admit though compared to 40years ago catch and release is now 100 times more popular.

I'm not sure that's true. There are a lot more anglers now, have the proportions fillet vs C&R changed? Unless of course you have evidence to back your statement?

;D;D;D;D

Cheers,

Tim

Barry Ehsman
08-03-2011, 06:16 PM

I have been following this thread with great interest & in one aspect i have to agree with Nathank... 30 to 40 years ago i used to go to the coast for the annual holidays & keep every thing that was legal.. But nowadays i only keep what i need for a feed,, Unless i am out on a trip catching reefies where i will keep a few more.......

It also seems to me now that at some of my earlier holiday spots it is very hard now to even get a feed..

Cheers Baz

Big Deez
08-03-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm not sure that's true. There are a lot more anglers now, have the proportions fillet vs C&R changed? Unless of course you have evidence to back your statement?

;D;D;D;D

Cheers,

Tim
Alot of good reading here Timi:

http://eprints.utas.edu.au/2526/1/Henry_Lyle_Nationalsurvey.pdf

Interestingly in QLD, 25.4% of fishers stated that "fishing for food" was a "not at all important" reason to go fishing, while 35% stated it was a "very important" reason for going fishing. Page 180.

NAGG
08-03-2011, 06:25 PM

;D;D;D;D

Cheers,

Tim

Actually Tim ...... I think you will find that the percentage of anglers who practice C&R has increased significantly over the last 10 years & would be way higher than 30 years ago.
From my own experiences back from my ANSA days through to more recently ABT - I have seen C&R / Tag & Release go from a minor spot on the tournament / club scene to the major way that Game / sportsfishing tournaments are run these days .
The increase in popularity of lurecasting and soft plastics has gone hand in hand with C&R ...... the telecasts of the AFC has been a significant driver not only in ABT tournaments but social anglers alike. Digital photography has been a big plus for C&R
C&R has also seen a greater take up of women into the sport . ....
While this is all anecdotal - just walk into a tacklestore & see how much of the range is dedicated to lurecasting
Look at the sub 5M boat market ..... it is quickly going towards bass style punts or hybrids where bait tanks are replaced by live wells....... this is certainly a growth sector
Certainly , the way we fish and attitudes to why we fish are changing ......

Chris

TimiBoy
08-03-2011, 06:39 PM
None of you are any fun at all. Where is the evidence it is 100 times more popular? I don't doubt it IS more popular, but as you know, I like facts. 100 times seems a bit of a stretch to me...

Cheers,

Tim

Gazza
08-03-2011, 06:52 PM
If it "explains" the present Snapper BIOMASS drama ::)

I'll say 20 times :P :evil: :evil: ....do I have proof?....
YES as much as present Snapper Biomass guessimates go :-X

wayno60
09-03-2011, 05:58 PM
So from the poll what have we learnt?

People under 20 dont fish, dont have a puter or are not on Ausfish.

46.97% of the fishing public on here are old farts, over 40, yes im in that catagory and half of them have been converted. (you can teach an old dog new tricks)

48.05% are 20/40

More than 2/3 of the 20/40 age bracket C&R, (must be some new craze catching on?)

If you want to start a fight start a poll..

what else can we conclude from this thread?

byron_moses
09-03-2011, 06:02 PM
u just cant beat this sight

NAGG
09-03-2011, 07:54 PM
None of you are any fun at all. Where is the evidence it is 100 times more popular? I don't doubt it IS more popular, but as you know, I like facts. 100 times seems a bit of a stretch to me...

Cheers,

Tim

I would have said 50 times ;) + GST

Chris

Big Deez
09-03-2011, 08:35 PM

Cheers,

Tim
Timi you're a fisher, and have obviously been around the traps a long while. What sort of increase would you say you have seen in catch and release?

sandbankmagnet
09-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Big Deez,

Statistics are what they are. Have a look at the percentage of sample population for the east coast towns verses the inland areas in that link you supplied. At least twice. Then they extrapolate that over the population of Qld and bang! you've got a biased survey. I've done a maths degree and can tell you that 82.36% of statistics are made up!

I am not catch and release but don't keep fish if there's nothing on them or a crap species, but enjoy getting out. I'd rather be out there catching nothing than at work. Therefore I would be classified a C&R in that survey.

TimiBoy
10-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Timi you're a fisher, and have obviously been around the traps a long while. What sort of increase would you say you have seen in catch and release?

Well first of all I started fishing again in late 2007, after about 20 years off. So my comment wouldn't carry much weight.

In younger days, we took most of what we caught. We used to pickle the really small Tommies. Yum.

Now? We take everything legal until the bag is reached. Not too often, because my Deckies can't fish!;D;D;D

So the difference is minimal, in my limited experience.

Tim

NAGG
10-03-2011, 08:37 AM
keep the votes coming :)

Chris

Defore
10-03-2011, 09:58 AM
u just cant beat this sight

I don't know about that.

This sight looks pretty good. ;D

http://www.rawfish.com.au/images/macadamia-barramundi-restaurant-quality-australian.JPG

Ian

STUIE63
10-03-2011, 10:17 AM
that is what I was thinking when I read the post , and was the barra weighed with the boga grips and then released only to subsequently die from a broken back

NAGG
10-03-2011, 10:18 AM
I don't know about that.

This sight looks pretty good. ;D

http://www.rawfish.com.au/images/macadamia-barramundi-restaurant-quality-australian.JPG

Ian

mmmmm - Tofu ;D

wayno60
10-03-2011, 04:07 PM
yuuuucccckkkkkkk.:'(

PinHead
10-03-2011, 05:33 PM
I don't really care whether people catch and release or catch and eat..as long as they abide by the regualtions.
What does annoy me is these people that carry on about catch and release and show pics of a fish being held by lipgrippers..laid out on a brag mat on a hot esky and kept out of the water way too long..and then have the audacity to say something like.."it swam away for another day"..more like swam away and almost dead. Flathead are a classic example..most mags show pics of people holding a flathead vertically by lip grippers..might as well eat the thing..usually broken the throat latch and it has been proven that holding them vertically just tries to shove their guts down into the narrowest part of the body.

Big Deez
10-03-2011, 07:18 PM
I don't really care whether people catch and release or catch and eat..as long as they abide by the regualtions.
What does annoy me is these people that carry on about catch and release and show pics of a fish being held by lipgrippers..laid out on a brag mat on a hot esky and kept out of the water way too long..and then have the audacity to say something like.."it swam away for another day"..more like swam away and almost dead. Flathead are a classic example..most mags show pics of people holding a flathead vertically by lip grippers..might as well eat the thing..usually broken the throat latch and it has been proven that holding them vertically just tries to shove their guts down into the narrowest part of the body.

Pinhead
Flathead are quite hardy when it comes to catch and release. Here's a bit of info:

http://www.tafi.org.au/publications/FRDC_2004_071_Nov06.pdf

Basically says that deep hooking and bleeding are major contributors to mortality.

But I definitely take your point regarding lip grippers and holding fish up without supporting their body weight - not good for flathead or any fish for that matter.

NAGG
10-03-2011, 07:37 PM

Totally agree - It's all part of the education process ...... of

use knottless nets , wet the surfaces - mat etc , support the fish , minimal handling & be as quick as you can ......... if you can , keep the fish in the water till you are ready.
I think we are getting better at it

Those US bass events .... really put C&R in a bad light with their antics & how they handle the fish:(

Chris

Jono_SS
10-03-2011, 07:42 PM
that is what I was thinking when I read the post , and was the barra weighed with the boga grips and then released only to subsequently die from a broken back

if you're talking about byron_moses' "barra", it's got a very forked tail....

everything about this survey confused me. first, I'm 40, so I didn't know which age bracket to vote in. Second, I aim to keep fish, but I don't mind releasing fish. What I do on any particular day depends on so many things, like where I'm fishing (fw, estuary, ocean, beach), what I'm targeting, what I catch, which boat I'm using or from the shore, whether I've got an eski with me etc etc etc.

I love fishing. I love planning a fishing adventure. I love cruising around the ocean looking for fish. I love catching fish. I love watching fish get caught and talking to people that have caught them. I love eating fish. I love surfing as much if not more than fishing (this does affect my fishing - lots will know what I mean). Fishing is the best way to get a feed of fresh fish.

As they say, the devil is in the detail. This survey gives an overall picture, but when you think about the complexities of the issue, I don't think you can draw too many conclusions from it. However, you could probably think of it as a reasonable pilot study that would help you design your proper survey.

regards.

Jono.

NAGG
10-03-2011, 08:14 PM
if you're talking about byron_moses' "barra", it's got a very forked tail....

everything about this survey confused me. first, I'm 40, so I didn't know which age bracket to vote in. Second, I aim to keep fish, but I don't mind releasing fish. What I do on any particular day depends on so many things, like where I'm fishing (fw, estuary, ocean, beach), what I'm targeting, what I catch, which boat I'm using or from the shore, whether I've got an eski with me etc etc etc.

I love fishing. I love planning a fishing adventure. I love cruising around the ocean looking for fish. I love catching fish. I love watching fish get caught and talking to people that have caught them. I love eating fish. I love surfing as much if not more than fishing (this does affect my fishing - lots will know what I mean). Fishing is the best way to get a feed of fresh fish.

As they say, the devil is in the detail. This survey gives an overall picture, but when you think about the complexities of the issue, I don't think you can draw too many conclusions from it. However, you could probably think of it as a reasonable pilot study that would help you design your proper survey.

regards.

Jono.

Hi Jono

you're right - it is complex ..... but I was curious after another thread and had a bit of a theory .
So I went for a simple poll ...... hence why I said predominantly .
I do wish that I narrowed the age groups to 10 years ...... that may have been more revealing . that said a picture is emerging though :)

Like you ..... I also fish differently ( fresh water - always C&R ...... except when fishing for trout. Estuaries nearly always C&R .... but when away - some fish is kept for the evening meal ....... offshore mostly C&R but am partial to sashimi - so a yellowfin or bluefin tuna may be kept ............. but in the end I dont go fishing for a feed.

btw - if are 40 yo ...... you are in the 40+ group

chris

Jono_SS
10-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Perhaps next time you could consider asking something slightly more specific like "during a normal fishing trip, do you release more legal sized fish than you keep?".

Also, you would need to collect your info per species. For example, I would bet there aren't too many people that release more legal sized Spanish mackerel than they keep (except in Platypus Bay). On the other hand, I would bet that there would be a very high percentage of people would say they release more legal sized bass than they keep. These 2 examples were intentionally chosen as likely extremes.

Jono.

odes20
10-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Its also interesting that most of the medical fraternity advise people to eat fish regularly as a part of a healthy diet. You can read a plethora of info on the web about this .

C and R may appeal to some and this is respected, but it is a modified form of fishing none the less. Mankind has always fished to eat and I guess will continue to do so.

In a time when so much junk food and processed food is being consumed in the western world and a lot of it by children, maybe we should be encouraging our younger fishos to eat some fish as well as a part of a healthy diet.

It confuses me as well that greeny diehards actually eat food. So I wonder what they eat, seeing they dont want us eating fish per say. Im not referring to anyone on this thread, Im just asking generic questions.

I would have thought that the quest for a healthy planet should include healthy humans? And a huge part of being healthy, is a balanced diet which includes fish. The western world is awash with shite processed food.

Sustainability of fish stocks is about having fish to eat in the future is it not??

What do greenys eat? Surely they dont all eat vegies and processed and junk food only.
Very confusing philosophy

John

NAGG
10-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Perhaps next time you could consider asking something slightly more specific like "during a normal fishing trip, do you release more legal sized fish than you keep?".

Also, you would need to collect your info per species. For example, I would bet there aren't too many people that release more legal sized Spanish mackerel than they keep (except in Platypus Bay). On the other hand, I would bet that there would be a very high percentage of people would say they release more legal sized bass than they keep. These 2 examples were intentionally chosen as likely extremes.

Jono.

That's the problem ...... how do you do that in a simple poll ?

We already have 6 options for age groups

The reality is though - certain species are targeted for their sport value and others for their eating qualities - some both
its only my opinion ..... but I would say those that fish for spaniards would pretty well all fish for a feed .
everyone knows where they sit when they go out fishing ...... if you go and buy bait , fill a big esky with ice then you are going out for a feed of fish .
People that turn up to lake Awooonga or Monduran with a big ice box on board - well you know they are not there for C&R.

It's actually not hard to work out whether you are a C&R fishoe or catch & keep ...... PREDOMINANTLY

chris

NAGG
10-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Its also interesting that most of the medical fraternity advise people to eat fish regularly as a part of a healthy diet. You can read a plethora of info on the web about this .

C and R may appeal to some and this is respected, but it is a modified form of fishing none the less. Mankind has always fished to eat and I guess will continue to do so.

In a time when so much junk food and processed food is being consumed in the western world and a lot of it by children, maybe we should be encouraging our younger fishos to eat some fish as well as a part of a healthy diet.

It confuses me as well that greeny diehards actually eat food. So I wonder what they eat, seeing they dont want us eating fish per say. Im not referring to anyone on this thread, Im just asking generic questions.

I would have thought that the quest for a healthy planet should include healthy humans? And a huge part of being healthy, is a balanced diet which includes fish. The western world is awash with shite processed food.

Sustainability of fish stocks is about having fish to eat in the future is it not??

What do greenys eat? Surely they dont all eat vegies and processed and junk food only.
Very confusing philosophy

John

John - you really cant use the balanced diet as a justification for fishing - and keeping fish
some of the best fish to eat are not the ones that are commonly targeted - or available in Qld.
I love eating fish ...... but my favorites ( & are considered amoung the healthiest choices ) are the salmanoids ...... they just happen to be a bit scarce up here outside of a fish shop ::).
So I end up buying more fish than I keep during fishing trips. ...... go figure!

Now - being controversial ..... a common justification for fishing is catching enough to justify the expenditure on going fishing ..... car fuel , boat fuel , bait regos, insurances etc ........ I know blokes that have sold their boats because it costs them too much to go out for a feed ..... cannot justify their $100K boat & spending $300 / day to go out to catch a few reds , trag , pearlies etc

Chris

Apollo
11-03-2011, 07:09 AM
Now there is some votes in the poll Chris, is it as you would have thought? From my point of view it is pretty much as I would have. Fairly balanced with C&R a bit more popular with the younger blokes than the older ones. This is probably a reflection that more older blokes own bigger boats and do more offshore/deep fishing for tasty morsels whilst the younger guys (with the kick of youth) are a bit more sports orientated.

Steve

odes20
11-03-2011, 07:37 AM
John - you really cant use the balanced diet as a justification for fishing - and keeping fish
some of the best fish to eat are not the ones that are commonly targeted - or available in Qld.
I love eating fish ...... but my favorites ( & are considered amoung the healthiest choices ) are the salmanoids ...... they just happen to be a bit scarce up here outside of a fish shop ::).
So I end up buying more fish than I keep during fishing trips. ...... go figure!

Now - being controversial ..... a common justification for fishing is catching enough to justify the expenditure on going fishing ..... car fuel , boat fuel , bait regos, insurances etc ........ I know blokes that have sold their boats because it costs them too much to go out for a feed ..... cannot justify their $100K boat & spending $300 / day to go out to catch a few reds , trag , pearlies etc

Chris
I agree with you 100% on your second point. I dont match owning and operating a boat against my catch. It never enteres my thoughts.

But Chris I have no idea how you can say," John - you really cant use the balanced diet as a justification for fishing - and keeping fish ". Yes I can. Its part of the life choice of millions of people, not just a few who own boats in QLD.

Is that not a direct contradiction to the history of the world it terms of fishing? You have the luxury of going and buying the select fish you prefer.

Surely you dont think everyone in the world should Cand R and leave taking fish to the Commercial sector and people just buy fish they want to eat?
I dont think that you would take that position, but you havent thought this whole issue thru.
You needle away at fishos here for taking more than you think is practicle for sustainability, but will go and by fish caught by commercial fishers who are largely responsible for the decimation of species in most parts of the world??

John

TimiBoy
11-03-2011, 07:58 AM
But Chris I have no idea how you can say," John - you really cant use the balanced diet as a justification for fishing - and keeping fish ". Yes I can. Its part of the life choice of millions of people, not just a few who own boats in QLD.

John

But he believes he can, because he thinks it's ok to tell people what they can and can't do, while he does it himself. Pretty typical Left Wing mentality. Being happy to accept what others say without investigation of the Facts because the lie serves the desired outcome is another quality we can strongly identify in the Left: for these people the End justifies the Means.

Part of the reason I fish is because I want to eat fish as well. Very few fish I catch are returned because they're not good eating. Even a MILF is good if you curry it right.

Tim

NAGG
11-03-2011, 09:30 AM
I agree with you 100% on your second point. I dont match owning and operating a boat against my catch. It never enteres my thoughts.

Is that not a direct contradiction to the history of the world it terms of fishing? You have the luxury of going and buying the select fish you prefer.

Surely you dont think everyone in the world should Cand R and leave taking fish to the Commercial sector and people just buy fish they want to eat?
I dont think that you would take that position, but you havent thought this whole issue thru.
You needle away at fishos here for taking more than you think is practicle for sustainability, but will go and by fish caught by commercial fishers who are largely responsible for the decimation of species in most parts of the world??

John

It didn't quite come out right ......... :-[ what I was trying to say was "you dont need to go out fishing to end up with a balanced diet" - like you dont need to go out and shoot animals to get a feed of red meat.

I've never been against anyone taking a feed & I'm in no way a C&R nazi ...... not when I keep fish every now and then for a feed. Its just that my motivations for fishing is not about a feed.

Chris

NAGG
11-03-2011, 09:46 AM
But he believes he can, because he thinks it's ok to tell people what they can and can't do, while he does it himself. Pretty typical Left Wing mentality. Being happy to accept what others say without investigation of the Facts because the lie serves the desired outcome is another quality we can strongly identify in the Left: for these people the End justifies the Means.

Part of the reason I fish is because I want to eat fish as well. Very few fish I catch are returned because they're not good eating. Even a MILF is good if you curry it right.

Tim

Get it right Tim ........ I don't tell people what they have to do ! but I will give my opinions & views .
I actually have a fairly balanced view towards fishing - neither being totally a C&R or Catch & Keep fishoe ........Though my strongest view is that fish are not a limitless resource & that fish stocks are easily over exploited
If that is a leftist view - so be it !

Chris

NAGG
11-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Now there is some votes in the poll Chris, is it as you would have thought? From my point of view it is pretty much as I would have. Fairly balanced with C&R a bit more popular with the younger blokes than the older ones. This is probably a reflection that more older blokes own bigger boats and do more offshore/deep fishing for tasty morsels whilst the younger guys (with the kick of youth) are a bit more sports orientated.

Steve

Yeh Steve ........ It's pretty well what I thought & reflects more or less what I have noticed.
i'm still curious to know why fishoes lean toward C&R

chris

Scott nthQld
11-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Many of my mates are purely catch and release fisho's, they enjoy fishing but say they don't like eating fish, saying that though, nealry all of them that have this opinion of eating fish (ie don't like it) aren't from fishing families, that is they took up the hobby themselves and didn't get taken fishing by their dad/grandad/mum etc, so i think its more of a preparation issue. most don't have a problem eating fish others may bring to a bbq or something so I think with the way society has gone today ie fishing is viewed as tolerated but not welcomed, many families are letting it go by the wayside and not passing on the skills to prepare and cook a nice fresh feed of fish so more and more of the younger generation who did not grow up with fishing choose C&R simply because they don't know how to prepare and cook it properly

wayno60
11-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Just watching ET this arvo and the fisheries in NT are doing tests on the effect of picking up barra with lip grippers.
They chace a 1m barra around a pool to stimulate being line caught, scoop them up in a net and lift them out with the lip gripers. they release the fish back into one of their pools then in a few day aneathetise the fish, take xrays of the jaw area and do a visual inspection of the fish.
Where the grippers bite in thay can do damage to the membrain in the fishs mouth and when you lift a fish that big it does straighten out its back bone, but they said that it does go back to the originial shape after a short time.
they also said that it is way better to keep the fish horzontal and to suport it under the belly.

ranga7
12-03-2011, 06:40 PM
I only release if its undersize or if i have my bag (which isn't that often). Trips for me might be months apart, so i like to have a small stock in the freezer. Besides buying fish can be expensive and feels weird when you own a boat and could catch your own.

2BNVS1
17-03-2011, 11:52 PM
growing up with a mediterranean background has given me the taste of fresh seafood. I could live on seafood and pasta everyday hehe... I always keep a few (if im lucky lol) for a feed for that night or the next. Im not into catching a shitoad then freezing it all. So if i get enough legal size fish for 1 or 2 dinners then anymore after that is just for fun and they go back in.

Ben...

nathank
18-03-2011, 04:21 PM

Cheers,

Tim

Man timiboy you must be bored mate... 100 times more popular its a figure of speech... how could you ever get the stats on something like that anyway survey everyone that fishes past and present? so your saying its comparable to 40 years ago? did you ever see bragmats 40 years ago? where there lipgrippers? environets? cmon......

roz
20-03-2011, 05:33 PM
With certain species such as Australian Bass or Estuary Perch, catch and release really is the wise choice IMO, must add I'm referring to the wild population & not impoundment. I must have lure caught 100's of bass over many years and only ever kept two or three, they really are great little Aussie battlers.

It must seem odd to anyone not associated with sport fishing and I can certainly understand some may take a dim view of the practise, having said that, flattening barbs & minimal handling is a must if catch & release is to end well for the fish, I've also read lip grippers are not a good idea particularly for larger fish, they may do more harm than good.

Cheers R.

NAGG
20-03-2011, 06:04 PM
With certain species such as Australian Bass or Estuary Perch, catch and release really is the wise choice IMO, must add I'm referring to the wild population & not impoundment. I must have lure caught 100's of bass over many years and only ever kept two or three, they really are great little Aussie battlers.

It must seem odd to anyone not associated with sport fishing and I can certainly understand some may take a dim view of the practise, having said that, flattening barbs & minimal handling is a must if catch & release is to end well for the fish, I've also read lip grippers are not a good idea particularly for larger fish, they may do more harm than good.

Cheers R.

Thanks Roz

If people are going to involve themselves in C&R - they really should learn the best techniques & have the right gear .
There are lip grippers that do a much better job than others where the spring closing pressure is not that great - the problem is that people hang the fish by the lip grippers.... either for the photo or if bogas - to weigh the fish:( I would only use bogas on fish that can do harm to the angler or to control the head of a toothy fish.

Chris

01wombat
21-03-2011, 02:04 PM
I Love to Fish i do C&R as i dont want others to miss out on the fun and enjoyment it gives me and there is others how take everything trhay can witch i dont agree with so if i can have my fun and lit some one ealse enjoy theres then its all good

BLOOEY
24-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Yeah bit of a tough one to answer on the poll really. Predominantly i will keep fish for a feed. In fact sometimes i will kill several fish to end up with one fish to take home (kill a mullet for bait for tailor, kill the tailor for bait for a jewy then kill the jewy and eat it). All freshwater fish are released. A feed is still not the reason i set out on the trip for though. Just love fishing. Ben

Bronson
25-03-2011, 07:38 PM
catch and release all the way. Fishing for me is about the pure enjoyment.I know how to fillet fish and prepare fish and cook fish ive done it several times before. Love the taste of fresh fish cooked at home. But the past few years catch and release fishing has just been so much more rewarding to see that fish swim away once you catch it. And also knowing someone else can enjoy catching that fish just as much as you did is rewarding enough.

bron

sleepygreg
26-03-2011, 10:00 PM
I must be in the confused section of anglers. (though I voted C&R).
If I am fishing a Game Fishing comp...its purely tag and release for billies. If I am chucking lures around the foreshores and canals....its with a view to taking a couple for a feed, but C&R most.

If I am fishing the rocks or ocean beaches its for a feed. Though once I have enough for a feed..then its C&R the rest (and I dont mean the bag limit).

If I am bottom bashing the reefs...then its for a feed.

If I am waving the long wand in the trout streams..its C&R.

If I am fishing the impoundments....southern impoundments = Redfin in the bag, trout/goodoo/yellas released. Northern impoundments = Yellas one or two in the bag, Bass one in the bag, Barra and all else released (cept redclaw).

If I am baitfishing the estuaries....then I am after a feed..so one or two flathead/bream/whiting in the bag....the rest released.

If I am fishing a Sportfishing Tournament - then its tag and release all the way.

Still not sure which category I fall in to.

Greg

nathank
29-03-2011, 12:32 PM
catch and release all the way. Fishing for me is about the pure enjoyment.I know how to fillet fish and prepare fish and cook fish ive done it several times before. Love the taste of fresh fish cooked at home. But the past few years catch and release fishing has just been so much more rewarding to see that fish swim away once you catch it. And also knowing someone else can enjoy catching that fish just as much as you did is rewarding enough.

bron

Yep my thoughts exactly mate.. i was a chef for 11 years and worked on boats sometimes as a fill in deckie. So never has the hasstle of cleaning or cooking fish ever played a roll in my decision to let them swim off.. the enjoyment of fishing is enough.. anyway if i feel like a feed, i can go get whatever from the shop around the corner... and its also cheaper than buying a boat and heading out to the reef to bottom bash. Oh yeah i always land a red emporer or a trout at Petes fish shop lol

SnowE
29-03-2011, 02:41 PM
This is not clear cut for me, in the end I voted no, as I like to keep a feed of fish on most trips (if I catch fish that is!), having said that I also fish several trips throughout the year whereby everything is C&R.

I have self imposed limits that are more restrictive than the ones that apply via law, ie I would not keep a Barra over 90cm, as they do not taste as good in my opinion (plus they are the breeding future of our Barra fishery). I also tend to fillet the fish I keep, so the minimum size of the fish I keep are normally larger than that stipulated by the law (I want a decent fillet if I am to kill the fish). When the fish are "on" I will usually only take enough for several feeds - not really into filling the freezer as such.

I am also selective in what I keep to eat, I do not really like to keep fish for neighbors or freinds (unless they are doing it tough then I will), if they want fish to eat they can buy it or catch it themsleves.

Cheers,
SnowE

Gazza
29-03-2011, 07:47 PM
i was a chef for 11 years and worked on boats sometimes as a fill in deckie. So never has the hassle of cleaning or cooking fish ever played a roll in my decision to let them swim off.. the enjoyment of fishing is enough.. anyway if i feel like a feed, i can go get whatever from the shop around the corner... and its also cheaper than buying a boat and heading out to the reef to bottom bash. Oh yeah i always land a red emporer or a trout at Petes fish shop lolSo why not spend $10 on a hamburger , look at it , give it back ;) ;D ......and go Fishing for freshfood :D :o

Spot82
29-03-2011, 11:45 PM
Oh yeah i always land a red emporer or a trout at Petes fish shop lol

Are you sure that's what you are eating?? ;)

At least when i pull some fish out of the freezer I know exactly what it is, where from and how it was handled and prepared.... :)

Eating fish/seafood from restaurants and fish shops has almost put me off the stuff numerous times because it is rarely fresh or well prepared...

NAGG
02-04-2011, 09:52 PM
I must be in the confused section of anglers. (though I voted C&R).
If I am fishing a Game Fishing comp...its purely tag and release for billies. If I am chucking lures around the foreshores and canals....its with a view to taking a couple for a feed, but C&R most.

If I am fishing the rocks or ocean beaches its for a feed. Though once I have enough for a feed..then its C&R the rest (and I dont mean the bag limit).

If I am bottom bashing the reefs...then its for a feed.

If I am waving the long wand in the trout streams..its C&R.

If I am fishing the impoundments....southern impoundments = Redfin in the bag, trout/goodoo/yellas released. Northern impoundments = Yellas one or two in the bag, Bass one in the bag, Barra and all else released (cept redclaw).

If I am baitfishing the estuaries....then I am after a feed..so one or two flathead/bream/whiting in the bag....the rest released.

If I am fishing a Sportfishing Tournament - then its tag and release all the way.

Still not sure which category I fall in to.

Greg

Greg ..... Its why I said predominantly. You may fall into that middle ground , - so be it . - but you probably do know what you are :)...... If you fish the estuaries on a regular basis & the occasional tournament ..... by your own words - you would be not be a C&R fishoe as your first intention is a feed
I just spent a week away with mates & ate a fair bit of the fish that were landed on my boat ......... but I am still clearly a C&R fishoe , as we struggle to find a place to keep the fish on my boat ...... except for a live well. I was not there to fill a creel .

Chris