PDA

View Full Version : 1770 - The Usual Suspects

Spot82
01-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Report will be done for cruisecastcatch in the near future, and I have almost finished the rigs article for those that were keen to have a read, just have to take some pics and possibly do some video.

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/396/redtripledsc6864.jpg
Triple Hookup - Someone had to take the pic so the old man got the arm tiring job of holding up his and my fish.

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/9726/reddoubleheaderdsc6876.jpg
This was another triple hookup but the old man got busted by a solid 10kg plus red. Had an awesome session with 3 triple hookups in 3 drifts on the one spot, Dad managing to loose his fish all three times and there was a few words said!! :o

He then come back and landed 2 solid 10kg + models below! The better fish falling for the PEtackle Slimey Mackeral Glow and Red Zebra Glow flys

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/47/reddaddsc6893.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1706/reddaddsc6882.jpg

I was then asked by Adrian to take him out to try get him onto some red fish, unfortunately he did everything in his power to ensure we didn't :P His father-in-law got his first legal red at 4-5kgs but other than that no reds made their way to the esky, couple of other nice species did though...

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/5020/maoridsc7020.jpg
My first ever Blue Maori Cod, was stoked to finally get one of these beauties - Petackle Fusalier Fly

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7356/troutdsc7016.jpg
PB Coronation Trout taken in 20 metres of water! Chartruse Prototype Fly

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/1576/troutadriandsc7012.jpg
Adrian with his PB trout taken on PEtackle Krill Fly

Bait was in the majority Mullet, Hussar, Cuttlefish. Lots of sharks about too and many rigs were lost as was the ability for me to move my arms after battling a 3 metre plus model for over 40 mins as it was foul hooked in the pec fin!

Plenty of drama including 2 broken rods, 11hr trip to 1770 from Brisbane and bilge pumps on boat boats I was on playing silly buggers! Thats me fished out for at least the next month!

Anthony

cuzzamundi
01-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Phoah! Simply awesome yet again, Anthony! Great to see you always give your folks a bloody ripper time, too. Always look out for your folks. Great stuff, mate - you slay 'em!

Cuzza

MEGA'bite
01-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Thanks Anthony it was an experiance and a trip one wont forget in a hurry
cheers Adrian

vertico
01-03-2011, 03:41 PM
haha good times adrian :P

The-easyrider
01-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Some great fish caught those big reds would have had me grinning from ear too ear. Hope I get weather like that at easter

tropicrows
01-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Great pics Anthony, your dad looks like he's have trouble holding up the reds. The sea conditions look shocking.
Looking towards reading the article o the rigs etc, could you also include what rods/reels you find better suited to chasing these beasts.

frankgrimes
01-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Faark - conditions looked ordinary ;) nice fish as always!!

Mick

trueblue
01-03-2011, 05:24 PM
can everyone else see the pictures?

I am getting a frog in an ice cube, with message saying 'domain unregistered - to view register at image shack'

wtf?

Spot82
01-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Faark - conditions looked ordinary ;) nice fish as always!!

Mick

On Saturday arvo when we headed out last week they were! Luckily the forecast come through! We run into OutWide1 aka Mick in Bundy and headed out roughly together, he was about to turn around and go back due to the 20knot winds and 2 metre seas, blew 30 knots during the night and on sun up sunday the wind backed out and stayed away till Monday arvo.

It was stinking hot to say the least! And the fish really didn't want to play the game until late Monday arvo when we had a hot session that I won't forget in a while!

Was good to meet you by the way Mick, have to catch up for a beer sometime :)

Tropicrows - After 2.5 days of hard fishing 16 hours a day holding onto these buggers for pics certainly takes it out of you! That and the gill rakers make a nice mess of your fingers! I will add in some info about gear in the article as well. :)

Cuzza - thanks for the kind words mate! My mum fishes a lot harder than a lot of guys I know and loves every bit of it!! That is until her bung shoulder gives up, and even then she still won't put the rod down. She got 4 reds this trip with the biggest going just shy of 10kg, not bad for someone in her 50's! Its great to spend moments like those with my parents and I am lucky to have such great parents :)

Chris1984
01-03-2011, 05:43 PM
awesome report and pics mate.

trueblue
01-03-2011, 07:01 PM
whats with the photos - this is how they are viewing for me.........

champion
01-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Hey Easyrider, i will be up there for easter as well,lets hope the weather is kind to us. cheers dave

kitty_cat
01-03-2011, 07:24 PM
well done mate , mick will have his turn soon i know he does the hard yards too .

pics fine for me

champion
01-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Hey Anthony, as usual a great read and great hual of reds, ur tackle flys really seem to do the trick,may have to invest in them befor my trip up there over easter. maybe see you up there over easter. cheers dave

Vitamin Sea
01-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Nice Trout Adrian, talk to you tomorrow

Cheers

jarhead
01-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Top pics and nice reds Anthony.

Wal

Spot82
02-03-2011, 03:07 PM
well done mate , mick will have his turn soon i know he does the hard yards too .

pics fine for me

I'm sure he will get onto em up there soon enough, you boys obviously know where to get em off DI/Fraser, its always hard not having fished an area before!! It was a very slow couple of days except for a few hours as well, just have to get lucky when it is like that!

Maybe if he had of shared your GPS marks with me I could have pointed him in the right direction :P

outwide1
02-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Gday anthony,good report mate and some nice fish.Outwide ended up with some nice trout,red throat,parrot and cod but no reds.It was awsome to have you,your mum and dad out there especially anchoring up togethere that night for a feed and a few ales.It was also handy for me as a skipper not 100%certain how to get into fitsroy or out of it.If it wasnt for the guys who called us over as we entered we would of hit the large bombie out front.You will need to talk to wayne regarding those marks mate and if anything it shows to you that if im given marks and promised they werent go any further im good for my word,hint hint sean and anthony.
Thanks again mate and i didnt want to bug you by following you around even after your freindly invite.
I will be back there and look forward to exploring that country and succeeding in pulling a nice bag of fish.WHAT AN ADVENTURE.
Cheers Mick.

Lucky_Phill
03-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Anthony,

Just wondering if Adrian got my text messages ?

Nice Reds once again. As per my report, I didn't find the big ones, but hey, it was a magic couple of days out there.

Cheers Phill

Spot82
03-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Anthony,

Just wondering if Adrian got my text messages ?

Nice Reds once again. As per my report, I didn't find the big ones, but hey, it was a magic couple of days out there.

Cheers Phill

Hi Phill,

Pretty sure Adrian got your texts when we got back to the ramp on Monday around midnight, then we headed straight back to Bris.

Heaps of red ground out there Phill, I found four gun spots in a couple of hours of looking, pity they were quite finicky and weren't on the chew. We didn't hit any of my marks and basically and picked up 35 good fish pretty easily in amoungst bilge pump dramas :P

Tim_N
04-03-2011, 07:41 AM
Wow Anthony,
Up to your usual standards again.
Tell me, when and where do I read the article you mention.
Tim

Spot82
04-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Wow Anthony,
Up to your usual standards again.
Tell me, when and where do I read the article you mention.
Tim

Hi Tim,

Here is links to a couple of previous articles, hope to have another couple up in the coming weeks being outfits, rigs, and tackle and probably a article on shallow water reef fishing.

http://cruisecastcatch.com/big-red-secrets/

http://cruisecastcatch.com/seeing-red/

So if you keep and eye out the new articles will be up soon :)

Anthony

XtremeBoony
05-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Very nice catch once again there tony. After being out there for an overnighter wed thurs we got a feed but couldn't manage to put a stonker red in the boat. Just goes to prove how persistance and expierence from your self and sean gets those big fella's to the boat. Well done.

vertico
05-03-2011, 05:55 PM
thanks boony, its just not as easy as everyone thinks it is :P

scw1970
01-04-2011, 12:25 AM
can't wait to see how your pe tackle fly's go in the rainbow comp. wonder how they'll go against live bait. you might catch the odd hungry reds calling an isolated bommy home but how will they go on a big school of reds feeding on bait eg hussar.

brisbane_boy
01-04-2011, 12:18 PM
The flies will go well mate, the trick is to add a hussar or mullet to the fly for some smell.

mangomick
01-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Top Stuff.....you make that Red fishing look just too damn easy....