PDA

View Full Version : Catch & Release

Mark-P
28-02-2011, 09:07 PM
This has been stumping me for a while now !
Back in January @ Hervey bay, i was at the Pier getting livies.
A couple of young fellas ( mid teens ) were catching GT's, not unusual.
But the sheer excitement & panic that erupted on every strike was sensational.
The bit that amazed me the most was, every fish they caught
was released unharmed ! The youngest bloke even went & bought fish & chips
while the other kept doin !!! Rules out the bit about not eating fish. Is this a common occurrence these days or is it the digital age with cameras, cause back in the day it was taken home for proof...

Mark

aussiefool
28-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Great to see the younger generation practising C&R. I personally do not in most situations as I only target certain types of fish that intend to eat. I live on the Tweed river yet do not fish it as I do not eat bream, flathead or whiting and choose not to cause these fish any harm just for sport. If I'm on the rocks and get a Trev as by catch 9 out of 10 times it will go back in.
Andrew
Aussiefool

loophole
28-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Would it be unusual for me and my mates to go out and target Bream on lures, catch say 30 or so on a good day and throw every fish back? Id much rather post a pic of a nice bream up on here then post 20-30 bream siting in my esky.

I will occasionaly target whiting or flathead for a feed but only take what i need for imediate consumption.

BTW big GT's probly are not the nicest eating fish

Lovey80
01-03-2011, 12:51 AM
Maybe they dont like the taste of trevally and just did it for fun. Many people dont eat trevs, I dont mind them but there are certainly better eating fish out there. I'll only keep a trev if the other fishing is light on and I will eat it fresh that night.

Mark-P
01-03-2011, 04:43 AM
[quote=loophole;1257456]Would it be unusual for me and my mates to go out and target Bream on lures

Not at all, the point im trying to make is the education level !
These were kids..... Back in the 80s C&R was something the fish
did on his own .

Mark

Sorry loopehole, i deleted more of your quote, than i intended !;D

Noelm
01-03-2011, 09:03 AM
I think catch and release is fine, and I do practice it myself, but I do not go with the people who ram it down your throat! if you keep a fish and your a red neck! If I want to keep a fish for food, bait or anything else I will, but I will not keep something that I have no intention of using. Good on them for releasing the fish if they were not wanted, it would piss me off to see them piled on the wharf, then dumped afterwards.

NAGG
01-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Catch & Release is something that has really been taken up by the youngsters in the fishing fraternity . I guess Rex Hunt can take a big bow for the promotion of C&R during the past decades . Additionally the mainstream fishing programs like - I Fish , Escape with ET & aired tournament fishing (ABT) have continued to show fishing in a different light.......... The trend seems to go hand in hand with non bait types of fishing (Lure , fly , soft plastics) ..... kids like to be active.
The youngsters I know who fish - (every one) would be considered as c&r fishoes ..... with maybe an occasional feed - Intersetingly when asked ... a common response was "dont have to worry about eskys or cleaning them - we can have some fun & go home"
I also feel that the digital camera has also helped. -

For all the criticism of the younger generation - this is a positive:)

Chris

ejackulate
01-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Dont get me wrong i love fishing for a feed but it seems these young bucks could teach the grey nomad patrol up here a few lessons, can someone send them to the daly or roper rivers around june or july please:P !!!

Mark-P
01-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Catch & Release is something that has really been taken up by the youngsters in the fishing fraternity . I guess Rex Hunt can take a big bow for the promotion of C&R during the past decades . Additionally the mainstream fishing programs like - I Fish , Escape with ET & aired tournament fishing (ABT) have continued to show fishing in a different light.......... The trend seems to go hand in hand with non bait types of fishing (Lure , fly , soft plastics) ..... kids like to be active.
The youngsters I know who fish - (every one) would be considered as c&r fishoes ..... with maybe an occasional feed - Intersetingly when asked ... a common response was "dont have to worry about eskys or cleaning them - we can have some fun & go home"
I also feel that the digital camera has also helped. -

For all the criticism of the younger generation - this is a positive:)

Chris
Agreed Chris, they are alot more educated these days ! At that age i was always told about how many were caught & Fark my freezer full !!!:o Might need a bigger one.

Mark

Mark-P
01-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Dont get me wrong i love fishing for a feed but it seems these young bucks could teach the grey nomad patrol up here a few lessons, can someone send them to the daly or roper rivers around june or july please:P !!!
Yep i know of such a nomad, that cant wait to see me & show me all the meter long fillets cryovac in the freezer !! I just shake my head ...:(

Mark

Chris1984
01-03-2011, 05:58 PM
i can honestly say that everything legal that i catch i keep and eat or pass it on to family, in my opinion the money that it costs these days to fish is ridiculous so i would rather put it on a plate than back in the ocean. my 2 cents worth anyway.

Mark-P
01-03-2011, 06:17 PM
i can honestly say that everything legal that i catch i keep and eat or pass it on to family, in my opinion the money that it costs these days to fish is ridiculous so i would rather put it on a plate than back in the ocean. my 2 cents worth anyway.
Same here. Never needed to perform C&R, cause we only take enough for a feed !
Will not eat frozen fish... Imagine if it was performed say 20 years ago,
Instead of filling the freezer & going out AGAIN the next day ????? No RIS required !

Mark

HeadBanger
01-03-2011, 07:00 PM
As a young bloke myself, I practice catch and release pretty heavily, as do the few friends I fish with. I love a fresh feed of tailor fillets or baked flathead just as much as the next guy, but I'll get more kick out of watching a trev or good sized flathead swim off than I would for it to land up on my dinner plate. Call me crazy!

Cheers,
Kaidon

bigdonk
01-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Yup i get a buzz at letting fish go... To me taking one for a feed and taking photo's of the other ones to brag to mates;D ;D ;D

BD

scroman
01-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Devils Advocate - lets just add a couple of scenarios. Please don't jump this is just trying to stimulate further discussion not suggesting better tactics or strategies etc.
I have fished professionally and recreationally for a number of years and have had the cricket scores on the front yard, the trophy kills etc and fortunately have matured (so to speak, sometimes my wife would disagree:-? ) and have embraced the digital age with a positive enthusiasm (once again much to the dismay of the household budget:-X ) but let me pose this...
I fish because I love the sea, the smell, the hunt and the taste of fresh produce particularly snapper, whiting, cobia, mackeral bla bla bla. I am fair skinned, had my first cancer cut out at 16 due to sun exposure and fishing family. I fish hard in winter and store fish effectively in my freezer for further meals. Sometimes my freezer is fairly full and family benefit as do neighbours etc because I know that my fishing in summer is significantly limited due to sun and work commitments not allowing pm fishing. I am not breaking any laws and am not wasting fish surely that should not be judged as has been seen before and there has been a quote that storing fish is not 'ethical' in some eyes. I firmly believe that everyone is entitled to opinion but lets try and minimise the judgement made for those who do have alternative practices. I care for my catch very much and thank the gods for being able to enjoy the basics in a world of destruction and abuse.
My other concern is that if we are truly concerned about our footprint in todays day of carbon emissions etc then (hypothetically) would it not be better to make one or two less trips per week and catch enough to freeze for one or two more meals and lessen the fuel and energy cost to the environment???

As stated from the start - all played out in Devils Advocate mode, just a few thoughts:P

NAGG
01-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Devils Advocate - lets just add a couple of scenarios. Please don't jump this is just trying to stimulate further discussion not suggesting better tactics or strategies etc.
I have fished professionally and recreationally for a number of years and have had the cricket scores on the front yard, the trophy kills etc and fortunately have matured (so to speak, sometimes my wife would disagree:-? ) and have embraced the digital age with a positive enthusiasm (once again much to the dismay of the household budget:-X ) but let me pose this...
I fish because I love the sea, the smell, the hunt and the taste of fresh produce particularly snapper, whiting, cobia, mackeral bla bla bla. I am fair skinned, had my first cancer cut out at 16 due to sun exposure and fishing family. I fish hard in winter and store fish effectively in my freezer for further meals. Sometimes my freezer is fairly full and family benefit as do neighbours etc because I know that my fishing in summer is significantly limited due to sun and work commitments not allowing pm fishing. I am not breaking any laws and am not wasting fish surely that should not be judged as has been seen before and there has been a quote that storing fish is not 'ethical' in some eyes. I firmly believe that everyone is entitled to opinion but lets try and minimise the judgement made for those who do have alternative practices. I care for my catch very much and thank the gods for being able to enjoy the basics in a world of destruction and abuse.
My other concern is that if we are truly concerned about our footprint in todays day of carbon emissions etc then (hypothetically) would it not be better to make one or two less trips per week and catch enough to freeze for one or two more meals and lessen the fuel and energy cost to the environment???

As stated from the start - all played out in Devils Advocate mode, just a few thoughts:P

Hi Scroman ....... If your freezer contains no more than the in possession limit - then yes you have done nothing wrong :)
Now what I pose to you ..... is - Does your possesion limit cover you & your family - wife / kids ? - Did the family members fish with you & catch the fish ? or did you & or your mates catch the fish ?
You dont have to answer btw & I'm sure you fish by the law ........... Unfortunately there are way too many that flout the laws ...... stock up on fish (thus going over the allowable limit) - If they were caught , they would simply say ...... the missus & the 4 yo kid caught the fish ::)

I guess I'm dubious about stocking up on fish that ends up in the freezer

Chris

NAGG
01-03-2011, 08:37 PM
As a young bloke myself, I practice catch and release pretty heavily, as do the few friends I fish with. I love a fresh feed of tailor fillets or baked flathead just as much as the next guy, but I'll get more kick out of watching a trev or good sized flathead swim off than I would for it to land up on my dinner plate. Call me crazy!

Cheers,
Kaidon

Hi Kaidon

There is nothing wrong with taking a feed - so I hope you never feel guilty about it ! So ... out of curiosity why do you practice C&R ? and what got you into it ?

Chris

Daintreeboy
01-03-2011, 11:04 PM
There's something in the original post that really bugs me. What's the difference with catching and releasing all those fish when you go down to the shop and then buy some? A little hypocritical really.
If they just didn't want to bother processing the fish that's fine but the gist of the post was about promoting C&R with an intent that they are looking after the fishery. Are they?
I have no problems with people that actively choose C&R, just the ones who ram it down my throat. I like to eat fish, so I do by catching my own and do not break any laws when doing so.

TheRealAndy
01-03-2011, 11:44 PM
There's something in the original post that really bugs me. What's the difference with catching and releasing all those fish when you go down to the shop and then buy some? A little hypocritical really.
If they just didn't want to bother processing the fish that's fine but the gist of the post was about promoting C&R with an intent that they are looking after the fishery. Are they?
I have no problems with people that actively choose C&R, just the ones who ram it down my throat. I like to eat fish, so I do by catching my own and do not break any laws when doing so.

Wow, interesting response. I dont think anyone is ramming it down your throat. If you want to catch a feed I doubt anyone here has a problem with that.

I rarely eat fish, but sometimes I do. Occasionally I will eat something I catch, and occasionally I will eat fish from a shop.

Often you see idiots catch fish and not eat it. I used to catch fish and give it to friends only to see it sit in the fridge and eventually go in the bin. Now I dont bother. If it were eaten, I would not have a problem with it.

Chris1984
02-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Hi Scroman ....... If your freezer contains no more than the in possession limit - then yes you have done nothing wrong :)
Now what I pose to you ..... is - Does your possesion limit cover you & your family - wife / kids ? - Did the family members fish with you & catch the fish ? or did you & or your mates catch the fish ?
You dont have to answer btw & I'm sure you fish by the law ........... Unfortunately there are way too many that flout the laws ...... stock up on fish (thus going over the allowable limit) - If they were caught , they would simply say ...... the missus & the 4 yo kid caught the fish ::)

I guess I'm dubious about stocking up on fish that ends up in the freezer

Chris
I can't believe i just read this, are you in bed with the greens aswell??

Mark-P
02-03-2011, 07:54 PM
My point was, go back 20, 30 yrs... How many kids
would you say or see fishing for the thrill of it & some pics ???
Now some might say cruel sport :-?
I bet there fathers weren't teaching them !
I love fishing & i love eating them, but i don't abuse the right...;)
The tread is about my observation & my opinion only .

Mark

Chris1984
02-03-2011, 08:17 PM
My point was, go back 20, 30 yrs... How many kids
would you say or see fishing for the thrill of it & some pics ???
Now some might say cruel sport :-?
I bet there fathers weren't teaching them !
I love fishing & i love eating them, but i don't abuse the right...;)
The tread is about my observation & my opinion only .

Mark
Define abusing the right??
i believe that when you go into any supermarket and buy fish you are supporting commercial trawlers/fisherman and such WHO DONT fish for fun and are only there for the money and don't give a sh%t about killing small fish or anything else for that matter but nobody thinks of it like that hey??
You can't say any rec fisher who takes his bag limit everytime he goes out is abusing the right to fish.
Fillet and release!

HeadBanger
02-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Hi Kaidon

There is nothing wrong with taking a feed - so I hope you never feel guilty about it ! So ... out of curiosity why do you practice C&R ? and what got you into it ?

Chris

Never felt guilty about taking a feed, and I will never make anyone else feel guilty about taking a feed (as long as they are within the laws.) I'd like to make that clear, in response to those that feel catch and release is 'rammed down their throat.'

I practice catch and release for two main reasons:

1- I enjoy seeing a fish swim off after a few photos on the brag mat

2- I have a weird idea that if I release them one day, they'll be there the next for me to catch them. Doesn't always work out, but hey, that's fishing.

I don't know what specifically got me into it. When I started fishing a lot more (about 2 years ago now) I met up with a few guys who have the same ideals as me (take what you need if you feel like it, release them all if you feel like it), so I suppose they've had a fair bit of influence on me. My mum sure doesn't understand it! When I tell her what I've caught during the day or night, she'll always answer with 'well where are they now?";D ::)

Thanks,
Kaidon

Mark-P
02-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Define abusing the right??
i believe that when you go into any supermarket and buy fish you are supporting commercial trawlers/fisherman and such WHO DONT fish for fun and are only there for the money and don't give a sh%t about killing small fish or anything else for that matter but nobody thinks of it like that hey??
You can't say any rec fisher who takes his bag limit everytime he goes out is abusing the right to fish.
Fillet and release!
I would love to know where your going with this. MY RIGHT to hunt & gather !
Where did i say anything about your last statement.........:o

Mark