PDA

View Full Version : Kevlacat 5.2 Tournament

vertico
27-02-2011, 07:21 PM
calling all you 5.2 owners and I know there are a fair few of you guys hiding in the closets. If you do own one , is this one of the best boats you have owned ? Got any pros and cons on the 5.2 ?
Iam looking at the market and there are a few about, what is a good size of 4 strokes on the back ? 60hp yammies ?

Thanks

Sean

perko
27-02-2011, 07:39 PM
I had a 5.2 Kevlacat for a few years. Did over 500 engine hours in it of the Sunshine Coast. Fished in all sorts of conditions and never felt worried or unsafe. Had 70hp 2 stroke yamaha's on it which I reckon was perfect. Great allround boat. A 5.5 Sailfish is very similar in performance with a bit more room. I reckon if I had my time again out of the 4 cats I have had I would have kept the 5.2 KC and re-powered it with the new 70 hp Yammy 4's. Good time to be buying at the moment.

vertico
27-02-2011, 07:41 PM
all sorts of conditions from 0 - 10 knots :P
whats the worst you experienced perko, you know i love going out in 20 knots
sean

Greg P
27-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Don't muck around with the toy one Sean get a 2400. You need a good work bench for tackle testing - how about one of these :P:P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmyACNFBGFM

perko
27-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Plenty of trips to the banks and hards in 15-20 knots. Got caught out there in a few big SE changes and surfed it home in 2-3 hours. We fished every 10-15 knot forecast on weekends for 5 years in it and plenty of times they got the forecast wrong. That was back when I was young and dumb, but don't worry mate you will age one day too.

Lovey80
27-02-2011, 11:02 PM
I have only had a 5.2KC for a few trips, enough for me to say that I won't ever own another mono, and I will only get rid of it if I go bigger.

That said, there is no way I would buy a new one. At the prices KC are charging there is better out there. The Seatrek 5900 Superports cat is much better value for money and would compete seriously with everytihng up and including the 2400KC IMO.

Things I like:

1) Hard to beat the ride for a 5.2, simply amazing, cant wait to really learn to drive it to get the best out of it.

2) Deck space is huge for it's size.

3) Finish is good.

4) Power needed to push it is minimal the 60hp High Thrusts do the job well enough, I will keep them until someone finaly makes a light enough weight 90hp.

5) Tow weight with an ally trailer is under 2t or there abouts so you don't need a large 4wd.

6) Pretty good range out of the 120l tanks with 4 strokes.

Things i don't like:

1) The split windscreen and clears (only option available)

2) The side pockets have the drain holes to the outside of the boat but are sloped to the inside meaning water pools toward the back (easily fixed)

3) Needs some handy little touches to make the deck user friendly, The deck space gets eaten up with all your shit, esp if you use anchor box in the back. Those things to come.

That said I don't think there is a more fishable glass boat in the 5.2m size around. If there is I would like to know about it.

Dean1 will add some points, he gave this boat a good work out while he owned it and can give a better point of view.

Midnight
28-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Gday Sean,
A mate of mine is selling his, it is on boatpoint. "Tanjian" written on the side of it. 4 stroke 60 yammies on it.

Good boat and I know he has fished it in any weather. It is only for sale because he bought a 33 O'Brien. He loves the little KC.

cheers,
Myles

trueblue
28-02-2011, 10:17 AM
hey Sean

sent you an email with a photo of Tanjian

beautiful boat - well worth looking at