PDA

View Full Version : Evinrude 175 trim/tilt motor

RAGINGBULL
27-02-2011, 12:27 PM
To anyone that can help me
Unthinkable happened at the ramp tilt/trim failed, did not know where the manual release was, so it was home time.. at 5.30am
It was a solo trip so lucky now than with a full crew

I have tracked a no trim fault to the trim motor RELAYS ENERGISE but no happy whirring sound !!

1) from the wiring does the motor just change direction for up and down as there are no solenoids ? or are they cross tubed pilot operated non return valves??

2) how do I remove the last bolt in the far LHS corner without removing the entire motor, it seems the bottom swivel tube/ pin is jammed and a few smacks did nothing ( actually A bloody good flogging did not remove it, without the circlip )

3) Where can I get a new one pretty quickly "prefer original"
4) any other info

Cheers Mark

FishHunter
27-02-2011, 12:37 PM
those things are not cheap I suggest some fault finding before you just replace it it.

Spaniard king on here should be able to point to someone who can supply one if you pm him.

cormorant
27-02-2011, 12:56 PM
What year motor?

Is it the fast-trac unit? Does it look like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170607882801&viewitem=

or older version that has a curled hydraulic tube between the ramand the pump??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JOHNSON-AND-EVINRUDE-POWER-TRIM-AND-TILT-/220745010963?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item33656d8f13

Is it a 2 wire or a 3 wire motor?

Throw up a photo if you don't know.

You need to energise the trim motor directly to prove it is not a wiring fault.

There is lots you can do with it still attached so don't go flogging too much as it is a brittle alloy casting. Pins are impssible to remove if burred by flogging. The pins should run in a pair of nylon bushes that can ( if enough room ) be slipped a bit and lubricant put on pin. Good mechanics now those pins seize eventually and every couple of years check them out along with any rust on the motor housing. .

There are a few simple things that can be wrong and it may be as simple as brushes stuck or worn out , stuffed wire, water in motor.

I still have some spares for em and a complete unit but check out what you need first. Prices for good ones are high.

RAGINGBULL
27-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks guys

Evinrude Intruder 175hp 2000 model.

2 wire blue and green.
part no 438529 i think

I am pretty sure it is the hydraulic pump voltage is switching over on the thick blue and green in the cowling going to the pump but nothing is happening.
I assume the negative is the chassis ground
main Motor turns over fine so battery is OK..

seems like the motor, could something else cause it to stall ?

Thanks
Mark

RAGINGBULL
27-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Thanks Cormorant.

It is the later model definitely, the white one on your pics, only mine is a black beast.

My thoughts exactly hardwire and bypass the relay and see if it spins,
Its so friggen hot out there might wait until later this avo to try

Cheeers
Mark

Spaniard_King
27-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Hold the bus!!!!

These hydraulic units use a 2 relay system that when not in use fail to earth. can you confirm power to each blue/green wire using the appropriate switch (up/down) I suggest puting 12 volts (and earth)direct to the motor wires to confirm the failure, reversing the polarity to either go up or down.

you can change the hydraulic motor itself without removing the unit from the engine. witht he engine tilted up on the enginbe suppoert, Knock the top pin out and pull the unit slightly foreward.. with good tools you can remove the 4 bolts (3/8 head) and remove the trim motor.

RAGINGBULL
27-02-2011, 04:13 PM
SPANIARD KING YOU ARE CORRECT..

The de-energised down relay provides the negative for the up travel and when they swap they negatives and positives swap around

I suppose so that you can never energise both positives at the same time.
I have checked the voltage and the negative are there only on one side, so it is looking like the hydraulic motor is faulty.....
I have also bridged the 24v and no joy

Seems like I will need to remove the top pin and get the hydraulic motor out

Thanks for your help
Will keep you all informed of the progress as I may need some spares

BOAT = "Bring out another thousand"

Have to go out to a BBQ

Cheers
Mark

RAGINGBULL
27-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks every-one eventually sat this morning printed out your comments and sat next to the motor with a cup of tea and re-read what everyone wrote and the penny dropped on exactly how to get the PTT motor out. bingo
This was in between becoming a grandparent " never thought I would see that day" got the unit out pretty damn easy actually, it looked OK
Put it onto the bench and tried to bench test it powered it up and could here a low sizzling noise. bad connection cleaned the commutator still there..
removed power and did a continuity test blue wire failed opened it up completely and the blue wire had burnt off underneath the brush housing.
It a bit difficult to replace it (corroded right back) as then I would need to somehow re-ensure the water tight integrity.
I may just buy a new one .

Thanks everyone

Gon Fishun
27-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Firstly I must say thank you to all who posted on this thread.
On Saturday my son and I were at the Bribie Spinnaker boat ramp and had the same problem, (115 hp v4 evinrude) :-?, motor would go down but not up. After a lot of fiddling and thumping with a hammer we got it to perform, went out, got a few bream, and son got a 42cm jack, still hasn't shut up:-?, any way at home I hooked up a 12v battery direct to earth on the leg and used a piece of welding wire ground to a point to pierce the blue wire and nothing accept hot wire, so assume the motor has a problem internally.
After reading the other posts I now feel confident what the problem is and can attack which must gusto.
Thanks guys.;D
Bob.

cormorant
27-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks every-one eventually sat this morning printed out your comments and sat next to the motor with a cup of tea and re-read what everyone wrote and the penny dropped on exactly how to get the PTT motor out. bingo
This was in between becoming a grandparent " never thought I would see that day" got the unit out pretty damn easy actually, it looked OK
Put it onto the bench and tried to bench test it powered it up and could here a low sizzling noise. bad connection cleaned the commutator still there..
removed power and did a continuity test blue wire failed opened it up completely and the blue wire had burnt off underneath the brush housing.
It a bit difficult to replace it (corroded right back) as then I would need to somehow re-ensure the water tight integrity.
I may just buy a new one .

Thanks everyone

Not when you see the price.

Some had a rubber seal the wires went through. It isn't normally under water all the time so sealing it shouldn't be too hard. I'll look and see if the ones I have have a decent motor case and wires.

Spaniard_King
28-03-2011, 06:58 AM
The newer models have a plastic outer case so they dont rust as well.. I have a few knocking around as well