PDA

View Full Version : VMR membership?

Matt76
27-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Hi all,

As my boat is getting painfully close to being finished, I thought I would get in before it hits the water and join up my local VMR. I looked the local branches site and found their membership section, but it seems a little strange. I kind of thought it was an RACQ for the water type of set up, there for a safety back up for us, and I'm sure lots of other services we don't even know about.

Their membership blurb is as follows:

To become a member of VMR Brisbane Inc and enjoy all of its benefits, a prospective member must first complete an application form; send it together with the appropriate fee to the above address.

You will then be invited to attend a compulsory introduction night. This will be held on the fourth Thursday of the month at VMR Brisbane, upstairs in the function room at 7.30pm. Please call David Davis on
3269 7937 to express your interest.

On completion of the information night you will be asked to attend at least one other function or activity. This could be the monthly BBQs, fishing & cruising days, or outings with the Group of your choice - the Yacht Club, Canoe Club or the Dive Group. Your application will then be presented at the monthly meeting for approval.

This process is set in place so we can let you know what VMR has to offer you and what we would expect of you in return.

We hope you may be interested in becoming a valued
member of VMR Sandgate.

Is this the way they all work? I reckon the info night will be well worth its weight in gold to understand how they work, but does that mean I can apply but if I havent been to a social outing yet or my membership hasn't been approved a monthly meeting yet I won't be able to use their services? Maybe I am just being paranoid?

I hope I havent upset anyone by pasting details, please let me know if you think it's out of line.

stevel3
27-02-2011, 08:39 AM
I recently sent my application away with the $55, I got the form from the boat shop and I didnt notice anything like that on it. I just had to tell them my, and my boats details, I now wait to see if they ask me to do the same as you, Steve.

just had a thought, maybe there are 2 types of membership, full and associated maybe.

Matt76
27-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Yeah you may be right there Steve. I may have got my info mixed up.

Thanks for the help

TheRealAndy
27-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Hi Mate, that is my unit. The idea of inviting you along is basically to introduce you the club, facilities and how it all works. Saves the resident whingers from being able to complain because you park your trailer in the wrong spot etc... Its also to encourage you to understand and participate in the club and social events as well.

I think your membership has to wait for a monthly meeting to be approved, but this is to do with the incorporations act rather than club specific stuff. Dont quote me on this, best bet is to give David Davies a call, he is a friendly bloke and will explain it all to you.

DOGFIGHT
27-02-2011, 06:04 PM
I think your membership has to wait for a monthly meeting to be approved,

Ha, bit like shopping for electronics in Australia ;D

Matt76
27-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks Andy, I appreciate it. I will try get there this thursday and check it out.

Cheers
Matt

themerlin
28-02-2011, 07:55 AM
I joined just before xmas and didnt have to attend that so I'm not sure if they do it anymore, I think the site might be a little out of date.

Hi Mate, that is my unit. The idea of inviting you along is basically to introduce you the club, facilities and how it all works. Saves the resident whingers from being able to complain because you park your trailer in the wrong spot etc... Its also to encourage you to understand and participate in the club and social events as well.

I think your membership has to wait for a monthly meeting to be approved, but this is to do with the incorporations act rather than club specific stuff. Dont quote me on this, best bet is to give David Davies a call, he is a friendly bloke and will explain it all to you.