PDA

View Full Version : Found where Jack lives

No Fear
24-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Hey all,

Well the weather gods played the game and we headed to 1770 Friday arvo. Weather wasnt so good Saturday with one of the boys heading back in when we went to have a look over Round Hill. Dropped down to see him and he mentioned that some of the waves were 4m.... So we parkede up for the morning and waited for the weather.
By 3 pm we though it was ok and headed to the 13 mile where we fished and stayed the night. It was certainly a bit sloppy but we knew the next two days were good so we patiently waited.
Next morning at 4am the wind had died enough and we headed to Musgrave.
First drop and my mate gets smashed and busted off....certainly looked like a red..... That pretty much set the standard for the whole trip with us losing probably 10-15 decent fish (some were probably sharks) but some of them had to be reds. Sunday we drove around looked for ground and nailed 3 of the biggest pearlies I have seen (about 630mm) which were let go for next trip. The captain also had the best drop Ive ever seen landing reds (57 and 53cm) and a 63cm pearly all on the one drop on the drift - position store on the GPS for next trip!!! Sunday night after we found a spot, it was all action. Reds, snapper, a massive mangrove jack, hussar and a few red throat. The snapper would have easily gone 10kg so he was sent back for the 1st of April!!! Once again there was bust ups and a couple of sharks. I had one on for about 45 mins that must have easily been 80kg as it ran like youd never believe and wouldnt come up. It finally rubbed me off on the anchor rope but during this time, the other boys had nailed a few good fish and by the time I got rigged up again, it was started to slow down. Lucky enough I nailed a red and a few other mixed reefies.

Pics of the trip below with the new shrimp PE tackle flies earning the big thumbs up(theres a pic below with one hanging out of a big pearlies mouth). They dont seem to get tangled and the fish nailed them. As usual though we also nailed some fish on the traditional glow flies and the big 10kg plus Jack got to swim off with his left in his mouth......I wasnt losing my fingers trying to retrieve it!!!
Headed up to Boult Monday morning in glassed out conditions but am still a trout virgin....a couple of boats around us got a few up so I need to research the technique as we couldnt raise one....Got busted off from good runs a couple of times!!
Pics below tell the story and keen as mustard to get back there when the weather comes good....

No Fear
24-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Another pic showing the shrimp fly... Fishing was reasonably slow overall however the total catch would have looked a lot more impressive with a few of the reds we missed 3 big pearlies and the snapper from hell..... Oh and my mate scored a 1.1m cobia on Monday morning for a big bbq next week.
Love it when the weather plays the game!!

DAVE_S
24-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Sounds like a good trip , those snapper and pearlys must know they are protected at this moment ;D. Now i might be wrong but i reckon you found where mr red bass lives .

Fish_gutz
25-02-2011, 12:53 AM
top trip by the looks of the things and a top jack also(pretty sure it`s a jack Dave.)
thanks for the report Andrew

No Fear
25-02-2011, 06:23 AM
Yeah Dave, I didn't know which species it was either but I had a few reliable sources tell me it was a Jack. I'm sure someone will post up confirming what species it is......either way it's back down there chomping stuff with those big teeth!

XtremeBoony
25-02-2011, 08:47 AM
yeah fella's nice work and that sure is a reef jack :) (I would have released it too....straight into the esky :) ) Talked to a mate that was out there the same time and they said the same thing about the sharks being a big pain in the ass. But good looking mixture there especially the red ones :)

cheers from boony

No Fear
25-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Heres a pic of the total catch......once again plenty of hussar, and good to find some decent red throat as well...

Spot82
25-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Looks like a good trip Nathan!! That certainly looks like a jack to me :) How bad were the conditions out there!! :P

Nice catch, must have been a bastard letting those pearlies swim away! That gold spot wrasse is a horse!! Well done

Thanks for the report and pics

Anthony

Spot82
25-02-2011, 11:03 AM
PS you don't need to go to boult for trout, heaps in close around Musgrave, sun up is the best time for them :)

No Fear
25-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks Anthony,

I know the spot you are talking about now....... Do you fish for them like snapper? Ball sinker and Pilly?

Pazz01
25-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks Anthony,

I know the spot you are talking about now....... Do you fish for them like snapper? Ball sinker and Pilly?

Yeah mate, and hang on, cause they'll get you in the reef pretty quick. Up the drag flat out if on a rod.

Some good fish there, that is definately a reef jack. They get tuff when that big, good choice letting him go.

vertico
25-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Ill have to take you up there soon nathan :P get you onto some big trout up near 6kg :P

No Fear
25-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Yeah Seano - this marketing material doesnt come for free!!!!!!

We can put your boat on the pod if you want to save fuel on the way out and you can have a sleep in the cab.......
Watch out trout!!!