PDA

View Full Version : Boarding ladders ?

Mark-P
21-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Just wanting to know if any one has a solution ?
Its a bit of a pain getting into, if your not agile !

Mark

thylacene
22-02-2011, 07:34 AM
You could try a boarding platform shaped to follow the curves in the transom and hang a ladder off that.

GRP Platform with a stainless U and offset hinges. PM me if you want a photo of something similar, I can email it to you.

Cheers

Thy

fez
22-02-2011, 07:50 AM
Mark,

What about something like below?

http://www.biasboating.com.au/images/PRODUCT/medium/1351.jpg

fez

Micadogs
22-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Hi Mark, I have a very similar ladder to what FEZ shows above. It does the trick, my 7 month pregnant wife can get in an out of the boat with this ladder. A couple of well placed handles also helps.

I have now fitted trim tabs, and the ladder is causing an issue (both space to fit the cylinder - got it in though), the flip down part hits the tab which isn't good. I recently tried larger spacers, and it worked ok, will try a few others.

There is another type of ladder I'm going to look at. The ones with a hook that go over the gunwale. They are approx $60 on Fleabay. Dont know how they will work, but they will fit in the side pockets and will only need to take it out when taking family and friends. When fishing, it can stay out of the boat. With this tyoe of ladder, you dont need to drill any large holes through your transom either.

Just another thought.

Mark-P
22-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Hi Mark, I have a very similar ladder to what FEZ shows above. It does the trick, my 7 month pregnant wife can get in an out of the boat with this ladder. A couple of well placed handles also helps.

I have now fitted trim tabs, and the ladder is causing an issue (both space to fit the cylinder - got it in though), the flip down part hits the tab which isn't good. I recently tried larger spacers, and it worked ok, will try a few others.

There is another type of ladder I'm going to look at. The ones with a hook that go over the gunwale. They are approx $60 on Fleabay. Dont know how they will work, but they will fit in the side pockets and will only need to take it out when taking family and friends. When fishing, it can stay out of the boat. With this tyoe of ladder, you dont need to drill any large holes through your transom either.

Just another thought.
I like the gunwale idea better i think !

Mark

deckie
22-02-2011, 07:03 PM
I like the boarding platform idea like thylacene describes ...even tho i've always had s/s ladders. Weigh a lot less too.
Maybe see if u can find an offcut of thickish klegecell and try to colour match to the hull at a good glass supplier...if going the platform route this would make it look truly schmick esp with the s/s mounts.
Whynot create it as a fold down boarding platform.
Sweet looking ride.

MACMATT
22-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Give Darren a call on 0417242911 . He makes custom swim/boarding platforms using King Starboard to suit any make and model boat.

Dignity
22-02-2011, 07:55 PM
As Micadogs recommends whether you go for a platform or ladder think about handles. I have platforms and there is a large handle on one side, my wife suggested a second one for the other side as she preferred to hold on with both hands. I went back to the boat manufactureer and they supplied me with the right gear and she has never been happier. I also found it worthwhile but I wont tell her that.

Blusta
22-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Ladders are a great addition to any boat. I would mount a permanant one as I use it to get in and out of the boat way more often on land than I do when involved in water sport. Climbing over the side and swinging the leg over the side gunnel is still okay in my boat but in some boats with much more freeboard than mine I imagine it could be problematic.