PDA

View Full Version : Hoo's Unlucky?

Tinlegs
21-02-2011, 03:44 PM
G'day Ausfishers,

With a good day Sunday 20th we joined the 1000000000 other boats at Hutchies and tried fishing for anything that wasn't banned at the moment.

It was pretty busy out there, with some people trolling, some diving, some anchored up and bait fishing, some drifting with plastics - all in the same small area - it was driving me nuts.

So after hanging around in the crowd for a while and getting zip we moved of to some structure adjacent to Hutchies that didn't have any boats on it and started to get bites, although nothing serious.

We were about to head in when a couple of floats on a bit of rope floated past. I thought "Goldmine" and I was right. Flicking plastics at it we got smashed up by a school of 3-4 wahoo, then the little dollies got in on the action and my partner landed one at 57cm. She later lost a mackeral which spat the lure next to the boat.

The school of dollies stayed around and wouldn't be tempted by anything further, so I put a couple of Halcos out and trolled around the float for a while.

On a whim, I flicked out a 3"Z-man softy on a 20lb leader and 17lb braid light soft plastics rod I was using for the little dollies.

Of course, it got nailed. I saw what it was and I thought - "Ah well, this won't go for much longer" but we stayed tight and connected and chased it with the boat. A few minutes in and things aren't feeling right and we could see the fish up on the surface - it was tail wrapped.

So, we got it close, I tailed grabbed it and we had a meter of extremely unlucky wahoo in the boat. There was a half loop of leader around the tail and the hook was trapped in the corner of its mouth by the tension of the tail wrap- it fell out as soon as I loosened the line.

Silly buggers using that gear out there for that sort of fishing, but it was heart-in-mouth exciting.

Sorry about the rubbish pics of fish and float, phone camera...

Thanks for reading,

Tinlegs/Mark

BrummyBoi
21-02-2011, 04:26 PM
ha ha iv heard stories of how lucky floating debris can attract good fish! top work mate!

carnster
21-02-2011, 04:35 PM
Great story. Nicely done.

Midnight
21-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Good onya mate! Well done on making the most of your opportunities. The Hutchies crowds drive me mad too, and I never last long there on a weekend. Midweek is the go;D

Cheers,
Myles

TimD
21-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Nice Hoo mate :thumbsup:

cheers tim

JACE...
23-02-2011, 07:31 AM
Awsome how a bit af rubbish can attract so much gold out there.
top stuff Tinlegs.

Jase.

Reefmaster
23-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Well done Mark good to see you have some fun and get a feed.

It also goes well with my article I wrote in the latest BushnBeach about fishing floating debris.

Regards,
Greg

Fish_gutz
23-02-2011, 07:35 PM
thats a ripper story well done.

Andrew

jarhead
24-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Most trips you get a few that get away, it's nice to have a bit of luck now and then. Nice hoo mate.

Wal

maimai
24-02-2011, 07:45 PM
good stuff, they are a ripper the Hoo