PDA

View Full Version : Importing - Best Option for Trailer?

LoungeLizard
21-02-2011, 07:57 AM
OK, so I think I have found the boat I want in Florida. It comes with an EZ loader (ally) trailer which is pretty much new and is legal to tow in Aus i.e <2.5m wide. Boat + trailer will be less than 2 tonnes.

What would be better: Importing the trailer and fixing up wiring, coupling etc or getting a new Aus spec trailer made in the US? Can anyone recommend a trailer manufacturer in Florida that make a decent trailer?

Noelm
21-02-2011, 08:45 AM
yep, bring in the trailer too, if you are sending it in a container, try to share with someone, two boats will fit easy in a large container, to get more in, the trailers are dismanlted and shipped on their sides in the container. But to be sure, price a decent Aus trailer and do the sums!

Noelm
21-02-2011, 08:46 AM
OH, I forgot, most shipping ports will not let you take the boat until the trailer is Aus compliant, that can be a real hassle, seen it a few times now, some just tell you to get going, while others make sure it is all A/OK before you can even hook your car up.

LoungeLizard
21-02-2011, 10:21 AM
OH, I forgot, most shipping ports will not let you take the boat until the trailer is Aus compliant, that can be a real hassle, seen it a few times now, some just tell you to get going, while others make sure it is all A/OK before you can even hook your car up.

So how do you get it compliant? Catch 22 sort of thing?? I was under the impression you load boat + trailer on a flatbed or similar, then get the trailer fixed, then rego it.

Moonlighter
21-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Actually, before you can import the trailer you will need an import permit, and best to have it in your hands well before the trailer arrives here, otherwise they will not let it off the wharf and you WILL be hit with some serious storage fees.

The permits are not too hard to get, you can apply online and the fee I think was about $50 when I imported mine a year ago from NZ.

I dont think you have to have them "compliant" etc with Aust rules before they leave the port, but they will obviously need to be compliant before you can register them. If youre under 2 tonnes it wont be too hard or expensive - just lights, coupling and brakes to be compliant.

See all the info here at this link - tells you pretty well everything you need to know.

Cheers

ML

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/Application.aspx

Noelm
21-02-2011, 11:54 AM
I have seen rigs that need to have the tow coupling changed, and a light board before you can tow it anywhere, and one more thing, do NOT take the sellers word for it that it is under 2.5M.

Flex
21-02-2011, 12:12 PM
and one more thing, do NOT take the sellers word for it that it is under 2.5M.

Truer words were never spoken!

Had this very issue with my trailer, Dealer told me it was 2.44 when infact it was about 2.56.

So I initially had some dramas with changing a few things to make it compliant.But once sorted I have a brand new aluminium trailer worth twice as much as I paid.

Make sure your Trailer permit is in your hot little hands before your boat arrives.
If you have assigned a broker they will make it easier for you.

I had no issues picking my boat up.I just took down a lighting board and towed it home using the USA coupling(USA couplings while not legal here are way better than anything we have) Its not strickly legal and you may not want to risk the tow home like I did. I know of one bloke who changed his coupling on the side of the road at the port.

Also there is the registration issue as you cant two an unregistered vehicle.

To get around this, Grab a registration form from QLD transport, fill it out best you can and have it in your glove box. If the police pull you over tell em your on your way to the QLD office to register it. Its totally legal to tow an unregistered vehicle to get registered.. :)

Now changing the coupling was much easier than I thought. Took off the USA one, Bolted an Aussie one and connected the brake line. Took me all of 1 hour.

Bought the coupling from Active Fab for about $120 and 4xbolts so it was really cheap too.

Cut off the USA plug(which again was way better than anything we have) and wired in a new one.

All in all it was very easy to do, If you dont wanna do it yourself most caravan places will do it for about $300. As they do the change over every day from imported international caravans...

Noelm
21-02-2011, 12:38 PM
It is silly why you have to scrap certain items that are better than some of the shit you fit, but from what I can gather, if someone never offers the item to be compliant with any ADR laws, then it is deemed to be unsuitable and has to be swapped over, and I see you mentioned a flat bed truck, of course you can take your boat on a flat bed, and most just tow them off, but some get caught, just be aware it can happen and keep your cool (I guess)

Noelm
21-02-2011, 12:43 PM
some of those US "hitches" are certainly well made, and the fold away drawbars are a nice bit of kit too, and when you consider they tow these huge trailers down freeways and frightening speed they must be good, and we can swap them for a cheap crap Chinese made tow coupling and all is sweet! what a laughable scenario that is.

LoungeLizard
21-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Make sure your Trailer permit is in your hot little hands before your boat arrives.
If you have assigned a broker they will make it easier for you.

I know about the tow permit so that'll be the first thing I get once I've decided to buy the boat. I'll get the surveyor to double-check the width as well.

A couple of questions:

1. Did you do anything else on the wiring? I thought they use the body on the trailer as negative which is not allowed here i.e. you have to run in a complete wiring loom.
2. What about tyres/rims/bearings? Are these the same size/configuration as Aus ones or would you need to import that as well when the time comes to replace/repair?

Noelm
21-02-2011, 01:42 PM
I have heard of tyres that had to be replaced, no idea why though, and a simple light board will get you home as far as that side goes, all the other stuff you have to just try and see

cormorant
21-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Truer words were never spoken!

Had this very issue with my trailer, Dealer told me it was 2.44 when infact it was about 2.56.

Also there is the registration issue as you cant two an unregistered vehicle.

To get around this, Grab a registration form from QLD transport, fill it out best you can and have it in your glove box. If the police pull you over tell em your on your way to the QLD office to register it. Its totally legal to tow an unregistered vehicle to get registered.. :)

Now changing the coupling was much easier than I thought. Took off the USA one, Bolted an Aussie one and connected the brake line. Took me all of 1 hour.

I'd be a bit careful about regp. Don't know if it still does but it used to state that you could tow a unreg trailer or drive a unreg car in a direct route to nearest supplier of services that you have a appointment with for the purpose of inspection. Guess what I am saying that Port of Brisbane to Weipa isn't going to cut it. Doing it at midnight probably won't wash either.

The old using your existing trailer number plates has a whole other bucket of hell if caught out and uninsured.

In regards to measurements you have to ask the right question as in different countries people measure axel width and tyer centerline widths so you must be specific that you want a total width measurement of trailer to it's widest point. A lot of blokes won't include extra width of running lights etc. Laws are different in different states in Australia . Careful if collecting from a interstate port

Insurers know all the tricks , Police know most of em if they could be bothered. All is good till there is a accident and you are left holding the can as the insurer is looking for a escape clause. I never want to be the " one in a million" " It'll never happen etc.

Thinks like safety chains, being rated and the way they are welded never mean jack until something goes wrong and someone is trying to shirk their $ . Half the Aussie made trailers wouldn't have rated chain as the safety.

Insure the whole rig before moving it. May be hard without the trailer registered as there is usually a clause about trailer complying and regstered.

Flex
21-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Yeah very good points,

I suppose if you wanted to be 100% compliant you'd get your boat and trailer trucked to your house first.

CTP and most car insurance will cover any trailer your are towing. If you are towing a non compliant trailer it could open a can of worms. But I'd imagine only if the Non-compliance caused the damage?

You could also organise your trailer to be made Aus standard compliant over the in USA. that would make life easy for you.

In terms of wiring, I didnt have to but I re-wired my whole trailer.
It seriously takes all of 5 minutes to re-run trailer cable. I put new lights on and a new plug. Very easy to do.

Noelm, your right on the standards being crap.
The USA coupling I had on my trailer was an awesome bit of gear. It was hydraulic overide and worked fantastic. Also had a special tongue that clipped underneath your tow ball for added security. Also had a breakaway pin(not needed but good idea)

Im yet to see a decent Aus compliant override coupling. The peice of crap I was forced to put on is a struggle in making it work like the old one..

MEGA'bite
21-02-2011, 04:30 PM
lounge liz you could bring in a 2 inch tow ball and keep using the us coulpling, yes they are much better.but not legal
You will find the wheel bearings are differant, but you can get all the trailer parts you need from titan trailer brakes at cleveland ph 0732861199 ask for Don tell him Adrian sent you.

cormorant
21-02-2011, 05:33 PM
I have seen some engineers stamp the USA hitch as compliant. Not quite sure how they have done this or whether it was just a sign off to get their clients trailer through rego.

Some USA couplings are brilliant and others are very aveage and they have a whole different way of rating things so you can't just take the numbers on em. I have used and like the breakaway ones but then again I would not be happy towing teh weights they do with just overide- well not after having used good electric over hydraulic systems.

Recently told that the importer of any product in law has the responsibility for it for it's life so on selling a trailer later may not clear you and it can bite you in bum later. Some importers of other products have been hammered recently. Might need to put a " buyer beware and takes all responsibility clause " on sale and have seen a couple of the USA boat trailer sellers stating on receipts that they are not selling a trailer and that it doesn't comply with Aussie rules

Muddy Toes
21-02-2011, 07:15 PM
I bought a 24 ft boat in last year and the mob in Florida i bought it off had an Ezyloader ally I beam trailer there all ready to go with Au.spec Led lights, 4 wheel electric over hydraulic disk brakes, 2.45 wide. It was pretty much ADR compliant except for the AU. stamped hitch and rated chain.They export alot of boats to Australia and had one in stock ready for the occasion.It cost $4700AUD.Brand new.I rung Ezy loader direct and they said they could do it with the right hitch and chains if i could buy them here and ship it to them.I couldn't be assed.The boat and trailer came over and it left the dock on a tilt tray and went to Opal trailers at cleveland to get the hitch and chains done.$150.Opal have their own tilt tray so it was pretty easy for them to pick it up and take it back to get the stuff done.When i was looking for a boat i got a quote from Dunbier to build the exact same trailer and they quoted me $12,000 and after the guys down at Opal saw it they also said it would be about that much if they made it.Its a work of art.The only problem i had with the tyres was when i was trying to get a spare no one here could get that "special"USA size, so to save the mucking around i got the trailer re-shoed and sold the other tyres.In the end the change over was bugger all.So with the trailer all good i went down to QLD transport and and it was all good.Just like that.(make sure you have your authority to import a trailer).Who ever recommended Don Bellshaw i ditto that.He's a great fella and if its got to do with U.S boat trailers he's got/can get it.On the 2 inch ball idea i'm not really sure if thats the answer and as for the wiring of the trailer and the plug mine came with a 12 pin plug and when i got my in cab controller done by Wynnum Towbars, Leo actually drove down to Opal Trailers at Cleveland, worked out which plug was which and did my car the same.For me its a no brainer....$12,000 vs about $5,000.

LoungeLizard
22-02-2011, 07:18 AM
Thanks mate. Who was the mob you dealt with in Florida?

Muddy Toes
22-02-2011, 12:07 PM
I bought the boat off Marine Connection and they used a company called Watercraft Mix to ship it.Both have websites and really easy to deal with.When i spoke to Demian at Marine Connections and the fella at Ezyloader Trailers i was running through the ADR for boat trailers and they both said they had copies of it with them.Just a final thought, i rung a mob called Portsea Marine in Melbourene and they import Peterson Trailers They said they could do one for about that price if it was assembled in the U.S but would be about twice that price if they bought it over, assembled it and you picked it up from here.Obviously it was easier for me to get one put under my boat over there by Marine Connections.

Noelm
22-02-2011, 12:56 PM
how about you try the importer that advertises right here on Ausfish? Leisure freight and import, they advertise here so I guess if they were no good, someone would have said so by now!

cormorant
22-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Muddy toes. Great trailer. I notice on one of the photos that the rear axel brake hose ( from chassis to axel) looks like it doesn't have enough excess length. Probably just a illusion in the photo angle but a easy fix so it doesn't fatigue .

Muddy Toes
22-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Looks to be that way doesn't it? Its done a few thousand K's so far and nothings happened to it but i will have a closer look when i get home.

haro274
22-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Just a final thought, i rung a mob called Portsea Marine in Melbourene and they import Peterson Trailers They said they could do one for about that price if it was assembled in the U.S but would be about twice that price if they bought it over, assembled it and you picked it up from here.Obviously it was easier for me to get one put under my boat over there by Marine Connections

Muddy toes- Unless I read your post wrong about the Peterson trailers i think you are a bit missinformed. They will put you on one of there ADR compliant trailers before it leaves the usa if you ship with Portsea Marine. Also those Peterson Trailers carry a 2 year warranty in Oz and aftersales service.

Muddy Toes
22-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Sorry, it was in the way i wrote it.I meant to say that their quote was about the same if it was put under my boat over in the USA regardless of the shipper and about double the cost if i picked it up from Victoria all assembled and ready to be registered.The 2 year warranty would have been good but logisticaly it was easier for the boat yard in florida to put the boat on the trailer before shipping instead of introducing a third party into the purchase and have it delayed when time was already of the essence and it was also too hard for me to get the trailer from Victoria.If i had of used Portsea Marine for the import then maybe it would have been a bit easier but when they quoted nearly triple the cost of what i actually paid it was out of the question.

Muddy Toes
22-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Muddy toes- Unless I read your post wrong about the Peterson trailers i think you are a bit missinformed. They will put you on one of there ADR compliant trailers before it leaves the usa if you ship with Portsea Marine. Also those Peterson Trailers carry a 2 year warranty in Oz and aftersales service.

As a bit of a late thought, if this is Justin Harris or an affiliate then this was the impression i was left with after our communications and if i'm your wrong then feel free to clear things up.No harm intended if i wasn't getting my facts right.
Cheers.

leezor
28-02-2011, 06:44 AM
OK, so I think I have found the boat I want in Florida. It comes with an EZ loader (ally) trailer which is pretty much new and is legal to tow in Aus i.e <2.5m wide. Boat + trailer will be less than 2 tonnes.

What would be better: Importing the trailer and fixing up wiring, coupling etc or getting a new Aus spec trailer made in the US? Can anyone recommend a trailer manufacturer in Florida that make a decent trailer?

I ended up getting All American Trailers in Miami to supply mine. Sent over the coupling, wiring, lights and plug which they fitted in the factory.
Good company to deal with and they kept me informed of the progress all the way through, very happy so far.

Import approval arrived last week, boat and trailer leave the US tomorrow and arrives in Brisbane late April.