PDA

View Full Version : Kill switch lanyard

antg2378
20-02-2011, 06:29 PM
After the recent spate of people overboard I've decided to replace the very deteriorated lanyard for my 2005 50hp Mariner outboard with forward controls. Just wondering whether I should buy one off ebay with numerous keys or just go direct to an authorised Mercury/Mariner dealer and buy genuine. Anyone bought one off ebay?

griz066
20-02-2011, 09:13 PM
I got a genuine one and was only $20 for my Johno

Gon Fishun
20-02-2011, 10:47 PM
What price is life. :'(

ozscott
21-02-2011, 08:18 AM
The big chandlers to generic ones with a heap of different keys on them - ie they seem to cover all makes. I bought one and it seems nice and strong and certainly pulls the kill without looking like its going to snap. I got it from whitworths, but my bet is other big chandlers stockem.

Cheers

GLXMAN
21-02-2011, 11:14 AM
After the recent spate of people overboard I've decided to replace the very deteriorated lanyard for my 2005 50hp Mariner outboard with forward controls. Just wondering whether I should buy one off ebay with numerous keys or just go direct to an authorised Mercury/Mariner dealer and buy genuine. Anyone bought one off ebay?

FWIW,
I was witness to a steering cable break when the skipper was near WOT,
Motor slammed over to one side,
Threw skipper in the water,
lanyard broke,
boat still WOT in circles
Friends retrieved skipper and got into the boat

I WOULD BUY ORIGINAL PRODUCT, even then, if conditions are extreme and you go over board,

The only thing that will be keeping you afloat for the next few hours is a PFD, that kept the above skipper afloat

In a strong tide and poor sea conditions, a boat is very hard to catch unless you are an exceptional swimmer
Regards,
Gary

spelchek
21-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Anyone use an alternative to the coiled springy lanyard that seems to be the universal kill-switch choice? I find it gets tangled like a slinky making it a pain i the bum to use.

antg2378
21-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I always buy genuine parts for cars etc, I guess its the best choice for outboard parts as well. I'll be popping in to the nearest Mercury dealer in the next few days to grab one.