PDA

View Full Version : are twin batteries needed

stevel3
20-02-2011, 08:13 AM
in the not to distant future I hope to use the boat on the odd occasion to do some night fishing. I will want to have some led lights set up (the ones that go under the sides), I reckon they look great and seem to put out enough light. I might also fit a cd/radio to it as well later. Will one battery be able to handle the lights/fish finder as well as being able to start the motor again after 3 to 5 hours use, cheers Steve. ps if I do need a dual setup where is the place on the southside to get it done. pps the motor is a 75 Merc 4 stroke if that makes any difference.

champion
20-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Mate i would say yes, but i always heed the side of caution !!

Its cheap insurance if something was to go wrong, and if it did and you dint have it at the time you will say "i should of spent the money and got it done"

Vitamin Sea
20-02-2011, 08:33 AM
I agree with champion, power, or lack of is not something that you want to be concerned with out in a boat, day or night time.

First thing I have always done with a new boat is put in dual batteries with a switch. Remember, no power, no radio.

If you don't want to do it yourself (plenty of info out there) give Pete a call, does excellent work.

Valet Boat Services. 0419 263 264

VS

Lachie1
20-02-2011, 09:17 AM
For what you want, one battery will do fine. However dual batteries are a great idea and i would definately put a 2nd one in. Better safe than sorry as they say.

Moonlighter
20-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Hi Steve

In my last boat (JBS Cuddy 4.8m) with 90 TLDI Tohatsu, I had a single battery for 10 years. Did quite a few trips such as you mentioned, and even some over-nighters where we had flouros and GPS running all night.

I must admit to anxious moments first thing in the morning on those overnighters as I turned the engine key to start the motor, but was fortunate enough to never hear the dreaded "click - then nothing". I always took good care of my battery too!

In my new boat I ordered it from the factory with a dual battery and BEP VSR setup and this certainly takes the worry level quite a few steps lower.

An option I did seriously consider on my old boat that I know quite a few people did was to get one of those "Jump Starters" from Repco or Supercheep - gives the option of running lights etc from that or having it to help start the motor in the event that the battery is flat. Might be an option for you to consider?

Cheers

ML

oldboot
21-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Most of the smaller outboars will have some sort of facility to use an emergency pull start......

Have you tried to pull start your motor?

Can you effectivly row your boat?

And of course it depends on how far you are going.

Are you crossing any bars or going outside.

The bigger the boat, the further you are going, the more risky the water the more you need a second battery.

As far as running a few led lights and a sounder for a few hours......anything bigger than an N50 should do that happily if it is a good battery.

just remember the most common call out for VMR/Coastguard is flat batteries.

cheers

ovakil
21-02-2011, 05:03 PM
When running 2 batteries,I use one on the way out,then switch to other when coming home.Is this the norm?
Cheers

antg2378
21-02-2011, 05:15 PM
I to would get a second battery. I have nav lights, outboard, gps and guages running off the one battery. Plus I have another 2 running my bow mount electric, hopefully I never run out of batteries and have to paddle home.

oldboot
21-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Serioulsy chaps......if you have a small to medium outboard, ya should be able to hand start it.

Ya might not ever need to........ but find out how and try it...... it might save your regretfull donkey...... or at least the embarasment of a tow home.

cheers

Scalem
21-02-2011, 07:08 PM
You only have to be caught with a dead battery once. Pull starting a 75 hp is not what I would call fun. Mine was a 2s years ago when I had to do that. Do I have a dual battery switch? NO!! Not yet, but I have two batteries, the 2nd is often tested and charged and I have a jump start Kit where internal LED lights run off that. Why don't I have a switch? The last one I had was on the cheaper side of the scale, and the internal contacts often failed, leaving nowhere for the charge to go. Ask any boat mechanic if that's a good thing to happen. Blows out the ... whatever that gismo is called, someone will know. If you get a switch make sure its a good one;)

Scalem

stevel3
21-02-2011, 07:09 PM
havent had a look but it is a 75 hp Merc four stroke, I think it is around 1500cc, that would take some pulling I reckon.

adam sharkcat
21-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Hi,unless your god,you cant walk on water!!!!,get the other battery,thats my 2 bobs worth:P

oldboot
21-02-2011, 07:30 PM
I don't know about the 4 stroke.

but I can tell you pull starting my 3cylinder 60Hp 2 stroke ( arround 900cc) is easier than starting the 13Hp brigs on the ride on.

Ya should know how it is done and if you can do it anyway.

cheers

timddo
21-02-2011, 07:39 PM
If your really concern. Just get a jump pack. You can keep it in the boat when out and in the car when not in use.

marto78
21-02-2011, 08:13 PM
I can't even get 12 months out of a marine radio in my boat so I dont know how long a jump pack would last. I've got a 90etec that I have had to pull start loads of times although it does get a bit tiring after the 11th or 12th time of the day. I usually run a sounder, fluoro, gps and stereo off of my single battery for many hrs in a night without flattening the battery. Its always good to have the back up off the pull chord but a second battery would be better but thats going to have to wait until I replace the life jacket and seat cushion that blew out the back yesterday on the way home.
Marto

finga
21-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Be done with it and bung the second battery in.
Best to have things working as the way they're meant too.
Do outboards now-a-days need a pretty good power source just for the electronics to work to be able to start them??
I don't know...never tried and don't really want to find out from experience.

A lot of people like me cannot pull start anything over 4hp because of physical limitations.
Even the 15hp on the tiny tinny is electric start because I cannot start it manually.
I did start the 90hp Tower of Power once to see if I could if needed. Spent the next 5 days weeping like a weening pup.
Never again.

themerlin
21-02-2011, 08:27 PM
You can get a device you put in series with your battery what will cut the power if the voltage drops below a given amount, it will then reconnect when you start the engine.
That way you should never run the battery down.

It was for sale on a US website for about $150

http://www.prioritystart.com/ps_marine.html

in the not to distant future I hope to use the boat on the odd occasion to do some night fishing. I will want to have some led lights set up (the ones that go under the sides), I reckon they look great and seem to put out enough light. I might also fit a cd/radio to it as well later. Will one battery be able to handle the lights/fish finder as well as being able to start the motor again after 3 to 5 hours use, cheers Steve. ps if I do need a dual setup where is the place on the southside to get it done. pps the motor is a 75 Merc 4 stroke if that makes any difference.

firecat150hp
21-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Two Batteries..Question answered and a VSR tah boot.

Spend $50 on Bait another $50-60 on Boat fuel, $15 for the ramp(sorry Victorian ramps that is)$50-100 on getting their plus tolls then a bit of tucker and a couple of drinks after maybe and there's....in one day out enough for a New deep cycle and a VCR. Cheap really when you've pulled a shoulder on the hand trolley ;D(cord) your radio has died and you've tossed that expensive 'registered' EPIRB over the side.

I actually run (4) in my cat....(2) designated starters and (2) house batteries all linked via a single "Dual Voltage Sensitive Relay" (D-VCR)

My spin on the battery thing,

Regards Steve

mitch92
21-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Necessary: Nope

Good Idea: Definitely

Would I?: Definitely

Lancair
21-02-2011, 08:37 PM
I can't even get 12 months out of a marine radio in my boat so I dont know how long a jump pack would last. I've got a 90etec that I have had to pull start loads of times although it does get a bit tiring after the 11th or 12th time of the day. I usually run a sounder, fluoro, gps and stereo off of my single battery for many hrs in a night without flattening the battery. Its always good to have the back up off the pull chord but a second battery would be better but thats going to have to wait until I replace the life jacket and seat cushion that blew out the back yesterday on the way home.
Marto

Why the heck have you had battery problmes with an Etec ? My 40hp had a small battery, I used it to power lights, sounder and radio, had a cig lighter point and ran my Engel fridge of it for u pto a day and it still started. I found a good run with the motor topped up the battery perfectly.

Now my 115Etec has the dual battery charge harness from BRP, it charges BOTH batteries simultaneoulsy regardless of switch position. I still alternate which battery I use for starting so they both get some load. IMHO dual battery should be on boats venturing offshore.

DTHCoCo
21-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Just do it, nothing wrong with a backup. In if not all planes there is multiply backup parts eg magnetos, fuel pumps list goes on. Nothing wrong with wan tine piece of mind.

themerlin
22-02-2011, 08:34 AM
If it's an EFI then they require some power to start even if you pull start it(so the manual says), and you need a tool to take the fly wheel cover off.

havent had a look but it is a 75 hp Merc four stroke, I think it is around 1500cc, that would take some pulling I reckon.

marto78
22-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Why the heck have you had battery problmes with an Etec ? My 40hp had a small battery, I used it to power lights, sounder and radio, had a cig lighter point and ran my Engel fridge of it for u pto a day and it still started. I found a good run with the motor topped up the battery perfectly.

Now my 115Etec has the dual battery charge harness from BRP, it charges BOTH batteries simultaneoulsy regardless of switch position. I still alternate which battery I use for starting so they both get some load. IMHO dual battery should be on boats venturing offshore.

Most of the time its because the boat is sitting idle for to long and I have forgot to charge it. The 11 or 12 times day was when I thought I had a flat battery when we put the boat in, so pull started it and headed to Deep Tempest. Turned it off for the first drift and it wouldnt start again and me being the idiot I am kept forgetting I had a crook battery and turning the motor off after every second drift.

adam sharkcat
22-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Everyones got there store here!! All i can say is, when you cannot start your engine ,you will be scratching your head,why you didnt have the secound battery!!! ask yourself the question?what are you going to do when it fails you?and it will happen!!:o

deckie
22-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Night is the key. Means a 2nd batt to me, but definitely doesnt mean a need for a dual batt system.
Having that 2nd batt is enough for any average sensible bloke. It's peace of mind and a great safety feature...a dual system isnt necessarily tho

Practicing a pull start is peace of mind, vsr's arnt.
Jumper leads work everytime, batt switches dont and go bung.
Good digital voltmeter on batteries is peace of mind and tells you what you need to know before it happens, buying time on boats is safety. Complicating the wiring is just more screws/solders/crimps to vibrate loose or fail.

Whynot just invest in the second batt coz its a great idea and run just about everything off it. If u ever have a prob connect them up and start it. Keep it simple and if you want to or find a need to CHARGE a second battery on the water one day then worry about it then.

Second batt ..hell yeah.
More electrics...no need.
Good home charger...hell yeah.

If planning to be offshore at night and/or doing longish trips to and from the ramp i'd think a bit differently.

oldboot
23-02-2011, 09:48 AM
If it is an EFI motor that wont start or run without a good battery....... no question...second battery required.

cheers

stevel3
23-02-2011, 04:56 PM
thanks everyone for the input, its not efi only carby. I will get the twin setup soon just for peace of mind. I just got a spare wheel for the trailer for the same reason, couldnt believe they dont come with one in the first place.