PDA

View Full Version : Getting key cut for mercury outboard

themerlin
18-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Can anyone point me to a locksmith that can cut a mercury ignition key, I have tried a few and they dont have the blanks.

Or is it going to be like everything else on a boat and cost thousands to get a key cut :-?

lethal098
18-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Try Amalgamated locksmiths at Newstead , Or J.Larsen Locksmith at Bowen hills

cheers Lee

Dodgy_Back
18-02-2011, 10:55 AM
If it is a standard merc key, just go to your local merc dealer. They will have it in as a stock item.

Mate of mine once lost his key. The merc dealer gave me the masters once I found what key number it was just got another. simple

themerlin
21-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Thanks, did that, they had a box full of pre cut keys, only $11

Nice to only pay that for a spare part 8-)

If it is a standard merc key, just go to your local merc dealer. They will have it in as a stock item.

Mate of mine once lost his key. The merc dealer gave me the masters once I found what key number it was just got another. simple

upstart
21-02-2011, 11:25 AM
I had the same problem last year. I took the boat (a mate's boat I was storing and occasionally using) to the local Mercury dealer here in Townsville and was told that they needed to pull the throttle control box apart and check for a number on the lock barrel and then order in the key. So that's what they did and I was charged an hour of labour and the price of the key. All up I think it was around $130.
What's the lesson there? When you and the missus split up make sure you take the boat keys with you so she can't go and throw them in the bin in a spiteful rage.