PDA

View Full Version : Barra Spin Reel

Rockfish
12-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Hi

Looking at getting another slightly larger spin reel for chasing barra. Already have a Daiwa Caldia 2500 matched to a shimano 7' 6-10kg spin rod. Wanting to get a slightly larger/heavier reel to balance out the combo. Thinking of a 4000 size shimano; symetre, saros or saragosa? Does anyone have any reviews of these reels?
Also very interested in the Abu Soron STX 40. Looks the goods with full metal construction of frame, rotor, carbon drag, tough internals and bearing supported spool. Interested to here any feedback about these reels.

Thanks
Rockfish

nickstock
12-02-2011, 06:27 PM
I have a few Saragosa's including the 4000. I have caught some absolute crackers on this reel and love it to death more than some of my dearer priced reels.

This is the first reel I pick up when I am chasing Barra on plastics up here.

Cheers,
Nick

vet
15-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Hi Rockfish, I have 3 sorons stx 40, they seem to be doing the job, not quite as smooth as shimano stuff, definitely heavier to cast all day. Haven't done much with them yet so can't comment on their longeivity yet but so far ok. cheers scott.

Steve B
17-02-2011, 11:17 AM
rockfiish

I have both the saros 4000 and saragosa 4000. both have caught barra and tuna etc.

The saros is as tough as nails, but bulkier and heavier than Saragosa.

Saragosa is smoother, lighter and still packs a great punch on any fish.

If you budget can stretch, got the saragosa. well worth it.

Cheers Steve

PS: Actually, the saros 3000 is a good size reel, I have one (upgraded handle to a saragosa 4000 handle- fits good/better cranking and feels better too). It has caught plenty of smaller barra, and a few bigger ones. goes pretty well. bit more of an all round reel for salt and fresh work too. bit smaller than saragosa 4000.

Rockfish
17-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Hey thanks for your replies

Decided to go a 4000 Saragosa heard nothing but good things about these reels and the budget just made it

Thanks everyone