PDA

View Full Version : pre sale boat trailer advice

adamleah
12-02-2011, 11:13 AM
I am looking at selling my Haines Signature 1750L and have just noticed there is rust in the rear most beam and returning back on the trailer "I left the tie down strap in place when wet".
With the rust, I doubt it will pass roadworthy and was wondering what everyones thoughts are regarding whether I should fix it prior to sale or selling as is ??? I would be guessing repair of trailer would be around the $500- $700 mark, however I would prefer not to do it as I dont really have time to organise repair and the next owner may have other thoughts in replacing trailers ... / mooring etc ???? and I may be just wasting money.....

Thoughts anyone ??? ........

PS - Anyone chasing a 1989, 1750L with similar vintage 115 merc, 2 owners ever, thats been undercover it whole life and in good nick .... contact me ... thinking around the $13k mark ... cheapest on boat point is around $18k.. up to $30k + "but i think they are well over priced"

Sheik
15-02-2011, 12:46 AM
Mate, personally, I'd get it fixed, unless you're happy to take whatever is offered to you for your boat and trailer. If I see a trailer in poor repair, I wonder about the condition of the boat, whether that's fair or not. But it sounds like you're willing to go below average as you don't have time so you might be able to leave it and sell as is...
have a crack and see what happens.
regards jim

PADDLES
15-02-2011, 08:14 AM
hey adam, is it rust that has penetrated the steel or just a bit of surface rust? i'd find it hard to believe that a wet strap has caused a serious rust issue. if it's bad rust then the beam will need replacing, if you can't do it yourself then probably just try and sell it as is and let the new owner fix it. most guys looking at buying a boat of that vintage are very likely to be happy to fix stuff up themselves as long as the price is right.

MEG-A-BITE
15-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Hi Adam,
If the rust is bad you will have a problem getting a road worthy for the trailer. I have had this issue with the trailer I have just bought. Had to replace the sub assembly @$789 to get the road worthy. You can’t sell a trailer without the road worthy. Unless you willing to take 2k less for the rig.
Good luck.

adamleah
15-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Yes it has penetrated into the frame somewhat and after looking in detail over weekend will require approx 1-2 ft of steel beam replaced at very end ... sad really since it has a brand new drop axle, rims, tyres, galv brakes etc and rust has actually formed when not being used and stupid me leaving what is really a wet rag strapped to side for a month or 3.....

I am still not really keen to repair unless someone knows a local welder in redlands who'd be able to fix her up easily and at not too much expense.....
regarding selling trailer without roadworthy.... I am sure you can sell an unroadworthy trailer,, you just need to , deregister it and new owner takes home, fixes and gets roadworthy, similar to a car being sold unregistered...

PADDLES
16-02-2011, 08:15 AM
that's my understanding too adam. honestly, a guy who is looking to buy an over 20 year old boat, is usually pretty handy at fixing boats and trailers and is usually prepared to buy a boat cheaply and then fix stuff up himself for less than it costs a professional to do it.

adamleah
16-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Yep paddles ,am thinking the same .... you can all check it out now as photos are in the for sale section ....
spread the word

PADDLES
16-02-2011, 09:46 PM
curiosity got the better of me so i had a look at your advert, that's a nice boat adam, and as long as the motor is all good it's priced right too. you should have no trouble selling that. if i was looking for an old boat, i certainly wouldn't be worried about having to fix a bit of rust in a trailer to get a 22 year old boat in that condition for under $13k

Muddy Toes
16-02-2011, 10:13 PM
If your in the redlands then give Jason at Piva on Giles Rd at Redland Bay a call.Sorry i don't know their number off by heart.I took my boat trailer in their last year to get a roadworthy and he had noticed i had sprayed black spray paint over a bit of surface rust to look a bit more appealing but said unless he could see rust then it was deemed to be not rusty....even in a case of obvious scaley rust that has been painted over it would pass beacuse he 'couldn't' see it.If thats all it takes to roadworthy it and eventually sell it at a good price then most astute buyers will notice it but will still be willing to buy it for the right price.Just my opinion though.