PDA

View Full Version : re-waterproofing wet weather gear

GBC
11-02-2011, 01:38 PM
I need some of the cleaning and wash in waterproofing fluid to redo a breathable offshore jacket.
Is there a shop I can walk into or do I have to get it online?

the gecko
11-02-2011, 01:56 PM
A breathable jacket relies on its microscopic holes to breathe. Why would you want to respray it with something that will clog it up?

So how old is it, what brand?

They are usually waterproof for 15-20 years, then you need a new one.

cormorant
11-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Nikwax at sailing chandlers but different jackets require different things. Check with the manufacturer website

I've tried and one worked perfectly but the other it just wouldn't work for some reason

GBC
11-02-2011, 05:46 PM
I've been doing some crash courses Gecko. Apparently the fabric gets dirty and then leaks. All goretex outers require reproofing after a while - apparantly.

The jacket is an Rtech 5 Ronstan coastal.

Apparently you wash it in one product to clean it, then wash it in another one to reproof it.

tunaticer
11-02-2011, 07:18 PM
There is a dry teflon or PTFE spray that is a repellant on the market. We occasionally use it to protect aeration mats from moisture. I can't for the life of me remember its name though. I doubt it would or could clog goretex materials as it is a dry film product. I will check at work if there is a old can of it about on Monday.