PDA

View Full Version : classic canoe

randell
10-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Just wondering if anyone recognises this old classic canoe.
12 ft long, looks like a small windscreen maybe.
Just wondering who the maker was?

I am going to grind it up and flowcoat it and use it.
randell

GBC
10-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Skiff maybe, canoe fail. Doesn't look much like any canoe I've ever seen. Have you got some better pics of the stern setup? I'd say that boat's meant to be rowed but someone's removed the thwarts.

randell
11-02-2011, 07:05 AM
Here a pic of the bottom.

on-one
11-02-2011, 08:54 AM
gbc is right it definitely looks like a row boat, and judging by the stern someone's modified it to take a little outboard. Are the four patched holes in the side you can see in the first photo also on the other side?

Noelm
11-02-2011, 09:01 AM
kind of looks like it used to be a BIg canoe sort of thing, but someone has cut the back off and made an outboard mount, so it is a canoe and/or a boat at the same time!

cormorant
11-02-2011, 09:14 AM
It may have had outriggers arms to mount oars on ( repaired holes on sides?) and been a gentlemans rowing skiff. They are amazing to row effortlessly if you are really smooth ( I never quite got good at it)

Lots of very serious websites on rowing skiffs and they will identify it if it is one. They ae fanatical about the wooden ones and they are spectacular

Got nice lines and will come up a treat I think.

GBC
11-02-2011, 12:26 PM
I was thinking the same - very 'pretty' hull. She'd come up a treat. And you can watch the rod tips quiver as you drag the micro mullet around 'cause you're facing the right (or wrong) way.
Trying to paddle it is going to be a right pain though.

cormorant
11-02-2011, 12:56 PM
If the hull is the right shape ( looks like it is) a small cheapo electric will push it that as long as you don't overload it with weight and have your for and aft balance right.

randell
11-02-2011, 06:30 PM
gbc is right it definitely looks like a row boat, and judging by the stern someone's modified it to take a little outboard. Are the four patched holes in the side you can see in the first photo also on the other side?

There are four patch holes at front and back, I thought they were from canoe type seats removed.
It looks like the flat back was original.

randell

randell
11-02-2011, 06:43 PM
If the hull is the right shape ( looks like it is) a small cheapo electric will push it that as long as you don't overload it with weight and have your for and aft balance right.

I have had a 4hp Seagull on it with two people in it, OK.
But a friend has a 3 hp.... for me..... so I think I'll go for that one. With a long extension pole on the outboard steering handle so I can sit midships....

Funny about the front, it will be hard tying an anchor from the front, as you can't get to it..............

Anyway today I got some seats and two rod holders organised. and oars painted.

I just got to check out the back end, needs some new ply and resin poured in a cavity as it feels a bit soft........
I have got to get some cheap flocoat, doesn't matter what colour..........
but was thinking safety yellow or orange so it could be easly spotted if I needed rescueing............
randell

tunaticer
11-02-2011, 07:11 PM
My gut feeling is the seats would have been mobile and slide along the rails inside. Any wear marks on the top side of the rails?

Also looks to me like the hull was built to be wither a rowing skiff or a sailing boat, depending on if it was fitted with a centreboard or not.

randell
11-02-2011, 08:47 PM
My gut feeling is the seats would have been mobile and slide along the rails inside. Any wear marks on the top side of the rails?

Also looks to me like the hull was built to be wither a rowing skiff or a sailing boat, depending on if it was fitted with a centreboard or not.

Hi,
No centreboard or wear marks next to or on rails. today I glued some rail ends back on as they were lifting.
thanks
randell

rando
12-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Put a fairlead on the bow then run the anchor line to a cleat on the foredeck, a light retreaver cord with a shackle or sheave outside the fairlead will allow you to easily bring the anchor back to the cockpit to lift in onboard.

randell
12-02-2011, 03:48 PM

Yes you are right. on closer inspection, i'd say it has been chopped of.
the back end is a bit spongy, the ply between the fibreglass has disintergrated.
I will dig it all out, slide a new piece in and fill it with resin.........................

randell

randell
12-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Anyway got the seats and rodholders sorted.
With some help from some black 80mm poly pipe..
But the worry is the back end.......... here's a pic.
I am going to dig out the rotton wood ply and put a new piece in and fill it with resin or flowcoat.

randell

Luc
13-02-2011, 09:05 AM
From Rosco Canoes, looks similar in shape except for the cut off stern.

http://www.roscocanoes.com.au/productdescription.aspx?Sec_ID=319&fulID=110#1

Also if you look at some of the wooden boat sites, you can get plans for building very similar crafts mostly for rowing but some can be fitted with small outboards or sail.

Luc

randell
13-02-2011, 02:10 PM
big step, but i had to do it.
randell

cormorant
13-02-2011, 02:42 PM
The 4 holes eirther side were for the rowing / scull arms that the rollock was mounted on like in a modern scull by the look of it. Just wondering how stable it will be and would be keeping weight very low

Like all jobs starts small and simple and then gets serious. At least you'll replace it so it will cope with a small powerplant.

randell
13-02-2011, 03:16 PM
It feels stable, I have the seats about 100mm of the bottom.
It's a wonder the 4 hp motor didn't fall off, the way the transom was....
randell

randell
19-02-2011, 07:18 PM
transom in.
next job, just grind up and flocoat.......
randell

randell
25-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Nearly finished
Nice white bottom
randell

randell
11-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Test drive today. It went Ok, maybe 10 km/hr
Comfortable seating, pretty easy to load and unload...
Easy to row and fish, it will do me.
See you around Mooloolah, Maroochy Rivers....
randell