PDA

View Full Version : Anchor setup suggestions

NTMID8
08-02-2011, 05:20 PM
I am purchasing a Micks Winch in the next month or two as i am sick and tired of climbing through my cab to pull the anchor (and noone else wants to do it ::)) Im currently using some rope with about 6m of some chain attached to a 5 prong anchor of some description (no idea about any of it was all in the boat when i bought it)

My question is for my boat (470 sig) would 100m of 8mm rope with 6m of 6mm close link chain be sufficient? I have found my boat has a habit of drifting with the current setup. Im open to all suggestions and i will be getting a new anchor to complement it all, suggestions?

Cheers all

FishHunter
08-02-2011, 05:53 PM
That depends on the depth of water you will be anchoring in and how rough the sea is the rule of thumb is the rode should be 8 times the depth of water. the reef anchor you have will not hold in sand or mud.

read this it is pretty helpfull
http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/34.htm

NTMID8
08-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Very interesting read, on there calculations i need 5.5mm rope with 3mm chain??

The rule of thumb with 8 x depth means i would need 160m of rope?

Then what anchor to attach all this too, 3mm chain appears thin?

FishHunter
09-02-2011, 05:25 AM
I wouldn't go less than 10mm on the rope as its difficult to grip and most people seem to use some kind of Plough anchor if you use the search function there have been a few threads about this.

OPTI
09-02-2011, 06:13 AM
a general rule of thumb,is the chain length should be as long as the boat,the rope should have a breaking strain that is as much as the hull weighs.
depending on how much rope your winch can hold or how much length you need can determine what rope you need to get .
8mm spectra has a breaking strain of 3000 kg,which is stronger than 12mm silver rope,but allows you to carry much more line on the winch.
i know on my stress free ,i have a 180 meters of 8 mm spectra ,if i used 12mm silver rope it would only hold 100meters.
your prong anchor is whats called a reef pick,only suitable for rocky reefs,you need a plough for mud and sand.

hakuna
09-02-2011, 07:08 AM
I have the stress free/ free fall and run 100m of 8mm double braid to 5m of 10mm nylon and 8m of 8mm chain/ sarca anchor. I anchor to 230ft deep. Never had a problem. Boat 7m.

I wouldn't think you would have a problem, chain might need to be heavier to deploy the anchor better as the weight of the chain effects how it goes to the bottom, specially in free fall

cheers

timddo
09-02-2011, 02:55 PM
I have a cheapy south pacific for 3 years. Cabling done by the dealer has caused most of the problems but now fixed.

I have 12mm nylon rope with 4 meters of 6mm short link chain and a sarca number 2. If the anchor got stuck, there is no way in hell i can break the anchor line.

NTMID8
09-02-2011, 03:42 PM
I wouldn't go less than 10mm on the rope as its difficult to grip and most people seem to use some kind of Plough anchor if you use the search function there have been a few threads about this.

I did a search but nobody really gave a definative answer, i hope after installing my winch i no longer have to worry about grabbing the rope ;D;D

In anyevent from what people have said i think i will be pretty safe with 8mm spectra? rope attached to 5m of 6mm chain with a plough anchor at the end. Is there a specific weight anchor as the link i read said the manufacture suggestions should only be used as a guide and being my boat only weights around the 500kg mark i would assume that it isnt "overweight" for its size class

Thanks all for your input, much prefer to get it right the first time

OPTI
09-02-2011, 05:44 PM
10 kg plough will hold you in a cyclone,id proably go 8mm short link chain and put a decent swivel [stainless] on the anchor end.
8mm spectra will be over kill for your size boat you could proably go 6mm if you want to carry more length,the breaking strain needs only to be what your boat weighs,i guess so incase you get your anchor stuck you dont winch your boat to the bottom of the ocean.

steele001
09-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Go at least 6mm rope, I would go 8mm, and run heavier chain than you think, and at least the length of the boat, the chain is nearly more important than the anchor, and steer clear of the plough, if you want a free one, come visit me ha ha. I do alot of overnight anchoring around Flinders Island in Bass Straight, and a plough just doesn't cut it. Had no trouble since I upgraded to a Sarca...

NTMID8
09-02-2011, 07:29 PM
So a number two SARCA? Big cost for an anchor! ($229) is there anything similar, i spend 80% of my time within a bay, most of the SA coast is in semi protected waters. Not a cheap scate and ill pay it if there is nothing else but id be pissed if i lost it!!!!

White Pointer
09-02-2011, 11:13 PM
G'day,

You are down in SA and most of us responding to you are up here in Queensland.

The further you go north the higher and lower the peaks and troughs in tides and generally the more violent the tidal flows. So we tend to overdo it a bit up here on the basis that overdoing it is better than coming unstuck.

Some suggestions:

Unless your boat has high windage (i.e. very high sides and large cabin structure) a 6mm rope should be enough.

Buy Silver rope. It holds shape, doesn't kink or tangle and resists burns and fraying. Buy more than you think you will ever need. Up here in Queensland we often fish in 80M and cross sand bars. If worse comes to worse and you are approaching a bar and the engine stops you need lots of rope to anchor and survive until you can call for help.

Use 6M to 10M of the heaviest chain that you can hold in one hand. The chain lays flat on the bottom and helps keep the anchor anchored.

Buy one or two flotation balls (whatever best fits in your anchor locker) and use these to float the chain and anchor when you pull them off the bottom.

Buy two of each type of anchor you will need and carry them at all times. Anchors can be lost and if %&$ happens you have to be able to anchor.

Learn to retrieve the anchor over the side of the boat after using power to pull it off the bottom, rather than over the bow. The flotation balls will make this easy. if you're not sure how to do this PM me and I'll describe it.

Regards,

White Pointer

Micadogs
10-02-2011, 09:08 AM
If you already have 100 metres of 8mm rope with 6 metres of 6mm chain then that will be more than enough for bay fishing on a 4.7 metre signature. The anchor should be suitable for mud sand (not the one you have), such as a plough or mason anchor. Approx 6kg will be more than enough to hold you in current and 25 knots winds (why you would be out in those conditions is another story).

One other thing that no one has mentioned, "what is the recommendation of rope and chain from the winch manufacturer?????" Silver rope wont work with vertical or horizontal windlasses, neither will spectra. Only 3 plaited nylon will work. If it is a drum winch then it may be ok, however ask the manufacturer. No pint spending big money just to create another problem.