PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Bladders

Blackened
07-02-2011, 05:31 PM
G'day

Has anyone had experiance with small fuel bladders (~ 25L)

Looking at doing some serious long haul island hopping in the whitsundays later this year and possibly out to hardy reef if the weather permits.

I already have 50L on board but another rigid tank is out of the question, hence the call for the bladder.

Dave

GBC
07-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Any bladders I've seen are diesel only.

Flexitank, and there's a mob at Yatala - can't remember their name off hand tho.

Spaniard_King
07-02-2011, 06:11 PM
dave, give turtlepac a call.. there down currumbin way... hold onto ya hat tho.... ya will really want to have that extra 25l

Turtle-PacTurtle-Pac
Place page (http://maps.google.com.au/maps/place?hl=en&biw=1276&bih=818&wrapid=tlif129706625965921&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=turtle+pac+currumbin&fb=1&gl=au&hq=turtle+pac&hnear=Gold+Coast+QLD&cid=2503000970905211632)
10 Hayter Street
Currumbin QLD 4223
(07) 5598 1959

Blackened
07-02-2011, 06:29 PM
G'day

I called them just before I put this post up and honestly, it would be cheaper to organize a fuel drop from the RAAF!

They do look like a good product tho!

Dave

Luc
07-02-2011, 06:54 PM
I think the lifesaver rubber duckies use bladder tanks, might be worth finding who the supplier is.

Luc

Chimo
07-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Dave

What about doing the sail method and carry a number of plastic jerry cans strapped to the bow rail. Top off the tank as soon as you have room and then just carry them empty on the rails.

Cheers
Chimo

Deelirious
07-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Ive used a couple in the 150l range supplied by Liquid containment - company website by the same name and I know another guy has one from the same company about the same size. Experience has been good and bad with the tanks but the service has been always good in terms - the first bladder I got leaked through a failed weld. The guy refunded me my money for that tank and I bought another tank off him - brand new and have had no troubles with it at all, in fact I love it.

No breather to worry about, simple to use and stow when empty. It gives me options - put 100l in it and still put the floor piece down over it or put in 150l and leave the floor piece off until ive used 50l on the run out and ditch it altogether under the gunwhale if you like when empty.

Yes the first one leaked - not so good and made a mess in the boat (dissolved the contact cement holding the carpet down) but you get that with any tank that leaks (including the Jerry can that falls over and leaks from the dodgy filler or breather cap). It fits and makes max use of the awkward shaped compartment that I've got for it to go into and it provides me a refuelling option inside my boat compared with the transom gunwhale filler that sits close to the water in my Victory.

I know he makes smaller ones and I also have a 25l jerry can off him that is collapsible but I'm not sure if he makes these himself or has them made in OS somewhere. I also think he makes those ones the lifesavers use and he is located near Yatala pies so he might be the same one that the previous post refers too.

The guys name is Paul and if you want more details about my bags let me know or google his website he has heaps more information on there.
Ed

fishing111
07-02-2011, 08:35 PM
I've looked at the Turtle-Pac and like SK say's, arm and leg teritory, although they seem to make a very good product if all there claims ar true. Although i wondered how you'd go filling them up at the service station as in if they would make you lift them out of the boat? All right for a smaller unit 25lit, but for 80-200 litre forget it. I also wonder how those bladders would go with ethanol, when we are forced to buy a 10% blend?

Blackened
08-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Dave

What about doing the sail method and carry a number of plastic jerry cans strapped to the bow rail. Top off the tank as soon as you have room and then just carry them empty on the rails.

Cheers
Chimo

G'day

I'd look like a nomad then.. Lol seriously though, no bow rails on a thundercat ;)

But I could put the wake tower on and rig something up there... good idea!

Dave

Noelm
08-02-2011, 10:06 AM
I can find out where my local surf club gets theirs if you like, my mate looks after their motors and stuff and he will know, he has never mentioned that they are really expensive!

Blackened
08-02-2011, 10:22 AM
G'day

Ed, The liquid containment guys look like the way to go should I take that path, reasonable prices and a good product by the looks.

Paul, from the small amount of research I've done, the ethanol doesn't seem to be a problem.

Noel, that would be much appreciated.

Dave

Noelm
08-02-2011, 10:48 AM
better call the RAAF and organise the fuel drop off! I just called my mate and he said there is two they use, a French one (he thinks brand is nautilas) and an Aussie one, the Aussie one is cheaper, and a triangle shape, but they split quite easily, especially if you lift them full, the carry handle is on the pointy and, they are about $400ish, the Frecnch one is square and has mulitple carry handles, they cost over $700, and that is surf club special price, he said those prices are old now as they have not got any new ones since they went to the square French ones a couple of years ago!

Blackened
08-02-2011, 11:15 AM
G'day

http://www.liquidcontainment.com.au/ecommerce.php?ecompage=viewdetails&stockcode=LC25%20Pillow

This here looks like a good compromise, it will be used for the extra fuel and be the tank that's used first, and I think a pretty good price considering the other quotes!

Chimo
08-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Hey Dave

Check this out for your trip planning around the area. This is the mob we sailed with some time ago.
http://www.charteryachtsaustralia.com.au/Whitsundays-Islands-Sailing-Guide.php#

Cheers
Chimo

Horse
08-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Dave, they look great but pretty exxy. What about a couple of Jerry cans and drop them off on one of the islands and pick them up on the way back. If going the collapsible option I would grab a few of the 20L collapsible jerry cans they sell for $110 each

Blackened
08-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Hey Dave

Check this out for your trip planning around the area. This is the mob we sailed with some time ago.
http://www.charteryachtsaustralia.com.au/Whitsundays-Islands-Sailing-Guide.php#

Cheers
Chimo

G'day

That's a brilliant link, thank you. Puts all of the info in one spot.

Dave

Blackened
08-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Dave, they look great but pretty exxy. What about a couple of Jerry cans and drop them off on one of the islands and pick them up on the way back. If going the collapsible option I would grab a few of the 20L collapsible jerry cans they sell for $110 each

G'day Neil,

That is also an option I am looking at.

Dave

Spaniard_King
14-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Guys if you need a flexible fuel tank have a look here www.liquidcontainment.com.au (http://www.liquidcontainment.com.au)

quite competitive price wise to ally or stainless tanks

Blackened
14-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Guys if you need a flexible fuel tank have a look here www.liquidcontainment.com.au (http://www.liquidcontainment.com.au)

quite competitive price wise to ally or stainless tanks

G'day

Gary, I ended up getting the 20L Jerry can and an adapter put in for a quick connect fitting. Service was smooth and easy, fast postage after it was custom made and the quality is very high.

Dave

fishfeeder
15-06-2011, 02:26 PM
I thought you could buy fuel from Hamilton Island ??
If so, just go there to refuel the main tank and 2-3 Jerry cans as backups, Top up supplies so you don't have to carry extra weight the whole time.

I did my honeymoon there on a self sail and it was fantastic, the memories lasted longer then the marriage though... Plan on taking my boat up there and doing at least 2 weeks with resort stop overs, hopefully next year.

Cheer
Brett

Jerk n Wined
15-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Hi

I too have also been looking for a 100ltr bladder, as said before its just so easy to roll up and hide away once you have used the fuel. No hard, sharp edges or damaging the boat to worry about. That liquid mob looks like a winner. Instead of 360ltr tank now it will be 460 and you wont see me for days :) ...........
Chris

Blackened
15-06-2011, 04:50 PM
I thought you could buy fuel from Hamilton Island ??
If so, just go there to refuel the main tank and 2-3 Jerry cans as backups, Top up supplies so you don't have to carry extra weight the whole time.

I did my honeymoon there on a self sail and it was fantastic, the memories lasted longer then the marriage though... Plan on taking my boat up there and doing at least 2 weeks with resort stop overs, hopefully next year.

Cheer
Brett

G'day

Yes, the only fuel available to my knowledge is Hamo..... the main tank is a 23L tank and the reserve is a 22L tank strapped next to it. I've got this foldaway bladder purely for space and range reasons, I will have 250km range with this extra tank now and without the necessity of having to get down to hamo. Keep in mind, all this is in a Thundercat. Space is at a premium. Everything works well, have had it out for a test run with everything strapped in. I've worked out camping gear and provisions for 2 nights to go into this boat and also the spearfishing/freedive gear.

Dave

Jerk n Wined
15-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Hey Dave
If your after more fuel than 2 tanks in a thundercat your defently going to far to be safe.... 2 x 25ltr tanks I KNOW you can get 29ltrs in them plus oil, so 30ltrs per tank. hold them up on the side and do the breather up, release the breather as you use up the fuel. You can easly walk the tanks up to fill up and throw back in the boat with the 'hard tanks'. The boat also handles like a slug if you keep adding weight to it and wont be responsive when you need it. I was the Aussie Thundercat Champ in '09'. The only other thing i would suggest:- you can rachet strap a 12ltr tank on the outside of the back transome. be careful of you prop choice for this trip, trial it first .
Goodluck.

G'day

Yes, the only fuel available to my knowledge is Hamo..... the main tank is a 23L tank and the reserve is a 22L tank strapped next to it. I've got this foldaway bladder purely for space and range reasons, I will have 250km range with this extra tank now and without the necessity of having to get down to hamo. Keep in mind, all this is in a Thundercat. Space is at a premium. Everything works well, have had it out for a test run with everything strapped in. I've worked out camping gear and provisions for 2 nights to go into this boat and also the spearfishing/freedive gear.

Dave

Hazza1337
16-06-2011, 03:08 AM
Hey,
Just a thought have you tried somewhere that deals in zodiac. We used to have 25l bladders that we used to use all the time (in the army), the good thing is that they come with a screw in / out fuel line fitting that changes out with a bung so you really only need one fitting. The only issue with them is that they tend to swell if they are left in the sun and when they over pressurize they tend to leak. Also you have to watch how they are orientated, if they move around they can pinch off the intake. (always interesting when crossing a bar)

It also might pay you to have a look around at some of the disposal auctions as these can be picked up relatively cheaply second hand. Just something to think about.

Deelirious
11-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Someone just raised a dislike to this thread or my response to it so it's probably worth a fresh post. I used my liquid containment bladder recently fishing from double island and it was fine throughout the weekend. The other guy I mention in my previous post with one of these took his back and got a refund. I don't think it leaked but he did mention he could smell fuel and didn't like that. I'm still happy with my second bladder although since my first one leaked I now leave the bungs in the compartment that I put it in so that if it leaks at all it's easy to see and easy to clean up but that has not been then case with the second bladder. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Deelirious
17-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Well just for the sake of putting it on the record it's another year on since I last posted this thread. Ive recently completed a couple of separate trips with the bladder a 3 day trip to Musgrave and another off double island. No trouble with the bladder no leaks just as convenient, so much so I've just ordered another smaller one for a different compartment and am collecting it this week. Apparently it's made differently to the old one but only time will tell how long these last.

hooknpull
03-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Bump- has many people been using these fuel bladders? I'm looking at getting 3 for extra fuel capacity. Just after some feedback. Cheers

Blackened
03-02-2013, 01:22 PM
G'day

Mine's still going strong.

Dave

battleon
29-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Is anyone using these bladders holding around the 100l mark? How do you find their performance and what would be approx cost of this size?

Cheers