PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki 140hp problems?

cass449
06-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Has anyone had any problems with rusting? Apparently you need to replace the anode in the Suzuki every 12 months - anyone had any problems with these motors???;D

OPTI
06-02-2011, 05:47 PM
replacing anodes is regular maintence,the 140 zuke is one of the best outboards on the planet atm

sleepygreg
06-02-2011, 10:17 PM
If you have to replace the annode then it is doing its job. If you dont have to replace the annode then something much more expensive and critical is doing the annodes job!!!!!

Smithy
08-02-2011, 11:43 AM
They are not the perfect motor. Plenty of people are having problems with them, me included. Mine was rebadged as a Johnson. They seem to drop compression in the bottom cylinder for some reason. One mate is running around like that now. Pretty much they say run them till you run out of horsepower then rebuild. No quick fix. Mine dropped compression and then I did three more days with it and I think it was catastrophic failure after that tough that was with 2,400 hours. The move to a billeted aluminium for the head for the last few years is suppossed to have fixed that. Two I know have eaten through the casting on the exhaust side. One I know of did seals and was leaking oil at about 600 hours. A Honda 75 I know of was doing seals all the time so that is nothing against Suzuki.

The Suzuki fuel pumps seem to be an issue. I know of a few of them that have gone by a few people. A couple were in cats so it may have been swimming a bit and one rec one got a big load of gunk through his fuel system. That said, the shark net contractor up here running Yammies seems to be going through fuel pumps on a regular basis too.

They are really souped up 115s too. The difference from me going from a 140 to a 150 Yammie has been phenomonal. I am up 600cc and you can tell the increase in grunt. There is a penalty in weight though, I do feel the extra 30kg on the arse. Right across the rev range it holds its revs a lot better and I have to work the throttle less. Fuel consumption is exactly the same though. Price wise the Suzukis are pretty good though. I'd look into the Mercs and Yammies if you could get away with a 115 and if you can go a 150 look at the Yamaha if you can carry the weight.

krill
08-02-2011, 03:44 PM
I have larger 4st zukes. Don't rate them well on corrosion resistance.

Paint job is inferior to Mercs IMO.

Plenty of bolts joining various cases are not stainless, and start rusting as soon as being exposed to salt water.

cormorant
08-02-2011, 06:18 PM
I have larger 4st zukes. Don't rate them well on corrosion resistance.

Paint job is inferior to Mercs IMO.

Plenty of bolts joining various cases are not stainless, and start rusting as soon as being exposed to salt water.

Inferior to mercs?????? Hell it must be water based with aspros mixed in. ;D

I think fuel pumps have a lot to do with fuel quality and what is in the fuel. Get reports of al sorts of rubber getting degraded and some plastics so there must e some nasty stuff around. Just the different smells from car exhausts tells me all is not OK.