PDA

View Full Version : To keep or Sell what's it worth

krazyfisher
06-02-2011, 09:00 AM
OK where to start I have decided to sell my Boat
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=3461
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9478510
Now I have had it for sale for a while and it has not moved. I am now at the point of what to do sell it at a reduced price or keep it till I can start using it again(young family). I still have a creek boat which I get to use often with the family.

So ......
1. what is it worth.
2. at what price would it sell.

I wont be offended as I have asked the question.

thanks for the feedback in advance.

ashleyhj74
06-02-2011, 09:20 AM
As someone who sold their boat nearly a year ago due to lack of use, dont do it. I've regretted it every day since mate. If you own it/can afford to keep it, leave it in the shed. Cause everytime you drive past a boat ramp and see other a$$holes goin out in theres it really pisses you off ;) Ah wont be long till I get another one thats for sure

krazyfisher
06-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Yes I know what happens when you sell it...... but my last trip was July last year!!!!!

nigelr
06-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Renowned hull, great trailer, I can only assume the inboard may be holding back a sale.......
Drop to 25K.
Personally I think that is pretty much giving the vessel away (sight unseen), but I guess that is the decision you have to make........how much do you need to sell, is it impossible for you to use the vessel more often? If these circumstances change, how hard will you kick yourself when looking to re-purchase?
Personally I reckon it's a great looking rig but for me my ignorance of inboards would put me off.
Cheers and best wishes.

krazyfisher
06-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Nigelr

thanks for that. I wish I could use it more. Yes I will kick myself. Yes I would buy the same boat again. Yes it would be giving it away I paid around $25k to my door than spend another 10k, but you are right that is a decision I will have to make and just might...

all good keep the comments coming

gr hilly
06-02-2011, 10:22 AM
As someone who sold their boat nearly a year ago due to lack of use, dont do it. I've regretted it every day since mate. If you own it/can afford to keep it, leave it in the shed. Cause everytime you drive past a boat ramp and see other a$$holes goin out in theres it really pisses you off ;) Ah wont be long till I get another one thats for sure

all people at boat ramps going out are not a$$holes mate just people who love fishing more than you.:P
cheers,Hilly

Chimo
06-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Circumstances change and then change again and notwithstanding the fact that there has been a period of little or no use that may not be the case in the future. Unless your under some pressure for cash selling, particularly at this time, would not be my first option. Nice hull with the work done too.

If you can park it undercover to limit deterioration from uv etc that would be what I would do. You can always just leave a battery charger on a timer to run for an hour a day and likewise leave a couple of 240 v computer fans keeping the air moving to prevent mould etc so that when you choose or circumstances allow it, it will be ready to go again.

Its not like you have to winterize it and either draining the fuel or leaving the tank full to the brim will over come the stale fuel issue.

Dont let it worry you whatever you decide.

Cheers
Chimo

bigjimg
06-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Mate if your situation requires you to sell then that is the decision only you can make.But if only for the reason of time is not on your side at this moment,i would not be selling.That is an absolute gift at that price and to replace is going to drain your pocket a lot more when you decide to boat up again.Get a decent cover for it and keep the batteries full and run it every week for 10-15 mins on the muffs and sit in it having a beer.You will thank yourself down the track.Jim

Jarrah Jack
06-02-2011, 02:35 PM
I've been watching your boat for a while and wondered why it hasn't moved as it looks a very good reef rig. I'd guess that the inboard is hurting it..

There's a lot of money sitting on a trailer there and I've always been of the philosophy that if you're not using it then best to sell but not at a silly price that you'll regret later. If you're not desperate for the money and can see yourself using it in a few years then don't give it away. If you drop it to 25 then that means to most people about 23 cash.

camboy
06-02-2011, 02:49 PM
I've been watching your boat for a while and wondered why it hasn't moved as it looks a very good reef rig. I'd guess that the inboard is hurting it..

There's a lot of money sitting on a trailer there and I've always been of the philosophy that if you're not using it then best to sell but not at a silly price that you'll regret later. If you're not desperate for the money and can see yourself using it in a few years then don't give it away. If you drop it to 25 then that means to most people about 23 cash.

I believe Jarrah Jack is spot on with his comments, I am in the same boat (pardon the pun) with mine. Good luck with your decision which ever way.

Cheers,
Camboy

krazyfisher
06-02-2011, 02:56 PM
I work on the theory that it is lossing money sitting in the drive way atleast it will make some in the bank.

What I am trying to work out is what price would move it. or is it just not the right time to sell a boat?

once again all comments have been great

nigelr
06-02-2011, 03:17 PM
IMHO, for most times are fairly tight and only bargains are selling quickly to opportunists.
Genuine buyers will pay your price or close enough to it, but obviously they are thin on the ground.

OPTI
06-02-2011, 03:48 PM
i dont think its the price ,its a cheap boat ,its just a bad time ,everyone is worring about the economy ,there are a lot of people hurting in buisness atm and with the strong aussie dollar the people with cash are buying from the usa.
its a classic boat ,but finding the classic buyer will take time.
if you must sell it just add obo to your add ,personally id find storage under cover for it and keep it .i havnt had a useable boat for 4 years and its killing me .
you could store it at my place if you want i have a big shed ,and il give it a run for you just to keep it all working ,[untill my 233 is finished] freee of charge;)

Almako
06-02-2011, 05:08 PM
I suggest these changes to your add
Is it a diesel or petrol? Push good news story on oil/fuel cosumption.
More photos, actions shots i.e. in the water planning, people smiling in the pics.
Change price to your advantage i.e. $27,999 or $26,999. Just sounds cheaper.
Have less of a story and more dot points.
On the weekends park it near your local boat shop where there customers might just happen to see it. Big phone number, big price, nothing else, you do the selling verbally.
Trade it in on a bigger one!!!!! lol

Mark-P
06-02-2011, 05:26 PM
I dont think its a good time to sell. Ive had my boat forsale also, with only 2 offers well below what i want ! So Ive decided that rather than giving it away, ill keep it & try and use it more. My reasons for selling were similar to yours !

Mark

fisho64
06-02-2011, 05:30 PM
More photos, actions shots i.e. in the water planning, people smiling in the pics.

and when you chuck it in the water to take these shots (take the family "for the photos") you (they?) might just decide to hang on to it!

Almako
06-02-2011, 07:24 PM
and when you chuck it in the water to take these shots (take the family "for the photos") you (they?) might just decide to hang on to it!
-----

I agree!

timddo
06-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Try puttihng on evilbay.

krazyfisher
06-02-2011, 07:42 PM
tried the ebay thing for a couple of weeks......

I have tried the family but wife does not like the open water and daughter love the sand flats????????

ashleyhj74
07-02-2011, 04:10 PM
all people at boat ramps going out are not a$$holes mate just people who love fishing more than you.:P
cheers,Hilly

Yeah i'm still happy to stick with my original comment ;) Never fear, i'll be one of them goin out boating again soon enough.

PADDLES
08-02-2011, 12:39 PM
it's the motor mate, the 470 mercruiser is well past it's use by date no matter what it's condition. your price is really not too bad considering that's a beautiful boat and if someone was to factor in a new 4.3 MPI mercruiser they'd have a magnificent offshore boat with a new trailer (looks pretty new to me) and a new motor with a solid pedigree hull for a good deal less than $60k.

however .........................

this 470 is narrowing the playing field down for you, not many people would want it and most people who are spending $60k on a boat are looking at $60k boats and not looking at turning a cheaper rig with an old motor into a great rig with a new motor and so they'll never see the value.

i too agree with JJ, even though it's a lot of money sitting there, do you desperately need the $27k back in your pocket? if you are going to buy back in later it'll cost you way more so i reckon leave it in the driveway rather than drop the price because it's worth way more to you (or the monority of people who knows what they're looking at) than it is to most people who are out buying boats.

krazyfisher
08-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Paddles that was my plan 4.3mpi mercruiser is $20k ish still makes it a cheap boat and yes new trailer.

I have tried the ebay thing so lets see what happens.

cormorant
08-02-2011, 08:58 PM
lovely boat with a nice little diesel in it. Sad to say it but there will be stuff around after all the insurance sales start or a direct import as aussie prices are steep..

470 is old but still a good old donk if kept maintained. Most damage is from neglect rather than failure.

I'd keep if I could as you know the motor is good, keep it maintained but save up for a transplant should the worst happen.

rando
09-02-2011, 06:51 PM
I take it that the lack of enthusiasm from the family is keeping you off the water.????
The issue then is not the value of the boat or available time.

If time is the factor think of ways to make the time commitment less.

I go out regularly with a mate on his boat and we have a pretty good routine. I help prep and clean the boat because i know how much time it takes.

Only you can decide if finding a good deckie or two who will do the right thing and helpout with time and cash will solve the problem.

But if you can manage a trip a month and everyone is happy, then selling will only leave a bad feeling .

I cant comment on the value equation of the boat except to say she looks like a great toy,wish she was mine:)

Just my thoughts FWIW

krazyfisher
09-02-2011, 07:10 PM
thanks for all the comments...

it is not a money thing, more of a want to do other things.

the boat is not suited to my needs right now, I am sure it will in the future but who know when that is and I dont want it to waste away just sitting there.

thanks again

White Pointer
09-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Yes I know what happens when you sell it...... but my last trip was July last year!!!!!

G'day,

You live in Mackay and you haven't been out since July last year?

Something is missing in your life. If you have lost interest - flog it and do it quickly and use the cash to take up a new interest. Some suggestions:

Join a mercenary army and fight for a cause (Life expectancy short - excitement value high, briefly)

Join a golf club and fight your handicap (You will never improve your handicap as you get older - But you get to complain about it with lots off other ageing golfers)

Join a bowls club (no ... Don't join a bowls club)

This isn't working!

Keep the boat and invite all the AUSFISH members around Mackay to crew for you, bait your lines and pay for their body weight in fuel and give you half their catch. I reckon you would get some takers.

Regards,

White Pointer (with tongue planted firmly in cheek)

Micadogs
10-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Hi Krazyfisher, there is no point hanging on to it if you aren't going to use it. It will continue to devalue and little things will start to go wrong.

There are some massive positives with your boat: reknown hull, new trailer, new fitout etc.

There are some large negatives also: old motor, 1984 hull

You need to turn these negatives into a positives, instead of mentioning receipts for last 10 years, spend $100 or so and get a full mechanical report. Advertise that. When you get a prospective buyer show them the receipts, this then shows that you are a fastidous owner and look after your equipment.

Also, 1984 hull rings alrams bells, rightly or wrongly this is the reaction I had when I read the ad. It is 27 years old. I would also spend a couple of hundred and get a survey or inspection done, and offer this. The reputation of this hull will speak volumes, in fact it hasn't changed much in the past 20 or so years. Not all buyers will know how to look for soft floors and transoms, any fractures in the fibregalss etc.

If you know someone that would also be willing to take calls from a perspective buyer to back up the reports that would be great (not a relative or close family friend though)

She is a very nice rig, looks well fitted out and has new trailer etc. As above there are two things that buyers will just hit "back" button on the browser and keep searching, hit them with inspection reports, email reports to prospective buyers and they will be able to satisfy themselves they are getting a good boat and at a good price.

My two cents worth only, but these are the inspections I would want if buying that boat. Running around getting them is just too hard and I would keep looking. If hooked, i.e. already had them, then I would spend additional time researching said inspections etc.

Regards Adam

krazyfisher
10-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Micadogs

good info, I have the report from the boat inspection 18mths ago might be worth adding. The person that inspected it is willing to talk to any buyers.
Once I am talking to people at $27-29k I was prepared to fix and mech problems that a mech found(nothing I know of). also I was happy to have it inspected by a fibreglasser and if anything wrong I would pay to fix that too(once again nothing that I know of).... but I would not put that in an ad.....

there must be a price that it will sell for? just need to work that out and come to terms with it

stevel3
10-02-2011, 04:58 PM
when you tried it on ebay what price did it get up to, this is a good way to gauge what people are willing to pay for it. Another option is to take it to a dealer and see what they think, obviously they would offer you very little for it to buy outright, but they should give you a ball park figure as to what it is worth privately or maybe on consignment. It sounds like a boat people need to see first then find out about the age, motor etc, cheers Steve. ps good luck with it.

Jarrah Jack
10-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Why not try dropping the price a bit and adding a current, not 18 months old inspection report. I sold a 25 year old 115hp motor on ebay for top dollar (4.2k) The buyer told me that having access to the report made things a lot simpler for him.

Definitely made me happier.;D

On a more sober note I once had a 60 series Landcruiser that I had to take a bit hit on. I just kept dropping the price until it sold. Wasn't nice but at least I could move on once it was out of the way.

It seems to me that you just want to move on yourself Krazy..

Good luck with it...

krazyfisher
10-02-2011, 06:26 PM
once again thanks all. all good info

krazyfisher
18-02-2011, 05:25 AM
Well just an update......
I put it on ebay for $25k I has just finished with no bids, but I did get a few offers at around $20k (just too low).

thoughts....

BM
18-02-2011, 05:56 AM
I wish it was down here mate. We could move it for you. Did Keith from Nautical end up calling you?

Cheers

krazyfisher
18-02-2011, 06:08 AM
No... check your PM's

TINHEAD
18-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Hi Krazyfisher
Sold my Pride Bahia Mah 20 in May 2010. $26000.00 It was poded in 2003 with a new 175hp yamaha. It a fully rebuilt trailer 08, Furuno electronics and 400 engine hours. I gave the boat Nigel from Gateway Bait to Sell (5%). It sold in two weeks to a guy fron Ingham.

Cheers Tinhead

krazyfisher
21-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Well an update the boat is sold and gone.

It was picked up by a guy from melbourne back were it came from, he gave me a deposit 1 mth ago and asked that I hold it which I did.

he was happy and got a great boat at a great price.

1 more boat to sell..... oh and I have bought another one!!

fisho64
21-03-2011, 11:58 AM
I was picked up by a guy from melbourne

wrong forum for that stuff mate...:o but sometimes I guess you have to go the extra mile for a sale

good luck with the new boat though!

Jarrah Jack
21-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Good to see it went well in the end Krazy. Whats the next boat?

krazyfisher
21-03-2011, 06:00 PM
5 mtr hooker side console