PDA

View Full Version : I saw a Patrol Boat on Saturday

finga
06-02-2011, 06:15 AM
It must be that time of the year.
I saw a boat go past yesterday with Patrol written on the side in BIG BLACK letters. (pity it was on a trailer and not on the water)
A smile came on my face and in my mind a Woohoo was sounding.
I hope they put the wind up a few people as a lot of people out here think they'll never get busted for fishing with no license, undersized and over bag/procession limits, unregistered boats and every other thing they reckon they'll get away with purely because Fisheries and Police just do not patrol out this way....ever.

Gees I hope they visit all the rural area's more often but alas....they won't. :'(

Shawn 66
06-02-2011, 06:29 AM
It must be that time of the year.
I saw a boat go past yesterday with Patrol written on the side in BIG BLACK letters. (pity it was on a trailer and not on the water)
A smile came on my face and in my mind a Woohoo was sounding.
I hope they put the wind up a few people as a lot of people out here think they'll never get busted for fishing with no license, undersized and over bag/procession limits, unregistered boats and every other thing they reckon they'll get away with purely because Fisheries and Police just do not patrol out this way....ever.

Gees I hope they visit all the rural area's more often but alas....they won't. :'(
Yeah you are right Scott ,
The only time I have seen them on the water is around Christmas time . And that was only once or twice . Be nice to think that they are going to step up their enforcement , but as you said they probably wont.
Shawn>:(

Shawn 66
06-02-2011, 06:56 AM
Hey Scott ,
Forgot to tell you . Finally picked her up last Saturday . Thought this would be good chance to do a bit of fishing . Left here about 3 in the morning so I would have a full day on the water . Bugger me dead , when I got out there it must have been blowing 25/ 30 . Oh well in light of recent events I have got nothing to bitch about . She is at the dealers at the moment , thought I might as well get a console fitted . Will take a few pics when she comes home .
Shawn8-)

tunaticer
06-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Living near NPD, I have seen a fisheries patrol boat being towed to the closed numbers permit only access dam several times in the past year or so. Being a closed number of persons with keys to gain access to launch at the dam, it seems odd that they have targetted this waterway for patrols. I suspect that nearly every one of the 200-300 key buyers for the yr would obey the rules on the dam. I think they would be much better targetting the rivers, creeks, bays and open waters around that are open to all to exploit, not the ones where you pay substantial amounts just to gain access to.
Of the 50-60 trips i did off Queens Beach to Scarborough in the last yr, I was not visited once, would be three yrs since an inspector made contact with me there. One trip in three would see me pulling in to the ramp to see someone at the cleaning station with an illegal catch in some way, numbers or sizes or fin clips.

Luc
06-02-2011, 11:48 AM
No so Tunaticer,

Initially, they found plenty of traps that didn't meet the requirements.

All permit holders were advised to make their gear compliant before their next patrol a few weeks later.

Some people seemed to think that because it's a 'closed' fishery, somehow the rules didn't apply to them.

Still it would be nice to see more enforcement generally.

Luc

Mike Delisser
06-02-2011, 08:28 PM
I've also seen that boat parked at the bottom of the Petrie Country Market a couple of times while the officers walk the river bank to check out the meatos for bag limit breaches, they nabbed a few too.

I may have just been in the right place at the right time or maybe it's because they like turning up at comps, but I saw the Fisheries Patrol quite a bit over the past 12 months.
Twice in 2 weeks at Boondooma, twice on the Nth Pine Riv, once at Nth Pine Dam, the Brizzy River, Borumba and also once at Maroon (on a public holiday no less, dispite what some one here said about their budget and them not working on that particular public hol)
Also had the Water Police check the life jackets in the Brizzy Riv twice and blew in the bag at Somerset once.