PDA

View Full Version : Yasi pile up

randell
04-02-2011, 04:17 PM
This is either Cardwell or Port Hinchenbrook...........
From Sunshine Coast Daily 4-2-11

randell

marto78
04-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Your right on both suggestions, Port Hinchinbrook is in Cardwell. Its a bloody mess alright, thats a lot of dollars all smashed up there.

cormorant
04-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Not much you can say - bloody sad. Very sad to hear there is a bloke missing off a boat.

I wouldn't want to be in a boat anywhere near that sort of wind. The noise in rigging at 100plus KM'h is spine chilling let alone double.

Friends up that way asked their insurer days before it hit if they should seek shelter or leave it in their exposed marina. Basically after lots of bull they were fully covered at the marina but if they went up a creek and a anchor dragged when they wern't on the boat ( they had a house to look after) they most likely had no cover. Tried to get is specifially in writing and were told it was in the PDS. Not very helpful. They are still not sure on definitions regarding cyclones etc. I don't think they have slept for a fortnight. Same insurer was insuring the marina and the marina got few answers as to what happens either.

They wern't close to that place and were lucky but will dive on their boat and check all fittings as they can see where things hit it and stuff inside it was displaced . They can't work out if it touched bottom or went over some part of neighboring marina has gone but aren't game to turn the shafts as at this point it is not leaking. They fitted all their ocean crossing boardings to windows etc and added 3 huge truck batteries and another 2 auto bilge pumps. Insurers laughed when they tried to prebook a appointment last week for this week. They had a full inspection and survey so they could prove condition of their vessel. How sad is it when you can't communicate with your insurer.

myusernam
04-02-2011, 05:44 PM
name the insurers here

sandbankmagnet
04-02-2011, 06:23 PM
they've found the bloke alive that shifted his boat.

wetryin
04-02-2011, 07:39 PM
I hope they're not insured with club marine. The qld office took 10 months to pay up $2500 of lost gear for me. Whats going to happen when 300 claims are lodged at once??? "we might have to divert your claim to another office..."

cormorant
04-02-2011, 11:54 PM
Won't put a name to em as up to the owners and wouldn't do it until all claims sorted and new insurance sought. I know they diarised their calls. They have nothing to worry about compared to the pictures above and still ahev a house unlik the liveaboard guys..

Good to hear the missing bloke showed up.

Unfortunately I think there will be a whole lot of boat insurance stories and ongoing problem repair stories for years. Really ugly and that on top of all teh flood damaged boats is going to mean good repairers are very busy and all the shonks get work again.

Then all the damage boats get resold and motors end up in the market. Not sure if the Write off register applies to boats like it does to cars in some states?

Smithy
05-02-2011, 05:09 AM
There are some rippers here in higher res.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/special-reports/gallery-fn7rxoal-1225999540353?page=1

MTAQ/BTAQ
05-02-2011, 06:19 AM
I notice the boats are still tied to there pontoons - apparently the storm surge just lifted boat and pontoon up to the top of the pylons then the whole thing becomes flotsam.

I would be interested to see how vessels that hid up the middle of Hinchinbrook Channel in the mangroves survived?

odes20
05-02-2011, 01:57 PM
I have been out on the houseboats you can see in the pics many times . What a mess. All the pontoons were lifted above the pillars and just floated up to the north west corner on the stormsurge
Sheer force of nature

I will be down there maybe tuesday. it will take some huge crane and patience to pick this apart

John

John

tunaticer
05-02-2011, 03:29 PM
I wonder how Hamilton Island harbour fared?

krazyfisher
05-02-2011, 06:37 PM
no problems at hamilton no storm surge and it was protected

Scott79
06-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Some interesting pics in there, gotta sympathise with the owners.

Aside from the obvious damage caused by their displacement, and the few that have sunk, they look like they have weathered the winds OK.
I wonder how some of those bigger boats would survive if they were craned onto dry land prior to the cyclone? Assuming of course they could get the elevation to avoid the storm surge.

Scott.