PDA

View Full Version : auxilary outboard?

truth stretcher
03-02-2011, 10:59 PM
How many guys run an auxilary motor on their boats.

I have a 115 yamaha as a main on my 560c (oops 610c) and am wondering how they mount up an auxilary on this type of boat and what size would be 'the norm'?
Or is their any need to have an auxilary?

I take my young family on the boat and like the idea of having a power plant should the unlikely happen .

Midnight
04-02-2011, 06:19 AM
Generally the most common form of engine failure is from fuel contamination, or fail to start from a flat battery. Prop damage is probably next I guess.

So if you want maximum benefit of your aux, it will have to run it's own fuel tank, fueled from a different location to that which you filled the main, and be pull start. You really need to keep fresh fuel in the aux tank, so you will have to burn a bit in the aux motor regularly to keep it running reliably and I guess pour the rest in the car every month and refill the aux tank when you go.

To much mucking about for me if you are running a well maintained modern outboard with good fuel filters, and buy your fuel from a big busy servo.

Buy a jumper pack from Supercheap to cover the fail to start flat battery case, keep spare fuel filter cartridges on board, and buy a spare prop and carry tools to change it.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,
Myles

Noelm
04-02-2011, 08:16 AM
auxilary motors are a good and bad thing, good in so much as you have another motor in case of trouble, plus a small motor for trolling (if that's your thing) but bad in that they need to be of adequate size to be usefull, have a shaft long enough, and be mounted properly so as to reach the water in a bigger boat, and they need to get some regualr use, and they are always in the way when fishing ,and, traveling they bouce around all the time.

xjonox
22-05-2011, 06:36 PM
im all for the little auxillary, im just about to install one myself.

peace of mind is a beautiful thing.

finding one with a long shaft is not difficult, and assuming you have some good help,
same goes for the bracket. take a few measurements and youll be laughin.

ya i agree it might suck while travelling but you cant win em all.

Lachie1
22-05-2011, 07:13 PM
In my opinion there is no need for an auxuliary motor. Prevention is better than cure, keep your maintenance up to date and if you are worried become an associate member of the coast guard.

Regards,

Lachie

Swanie1975
22-05-2011, 07:28 PM
hi ts,

i run a well looked after140hp 2stroke suzi on the back of my haines and havent had a problem yet, and im a vmr member. in saying that i have a little 5hp 4stroke short shaft tohatsu with its own tank as an aux as well. gives me great peace of mind, pushes my boat at 6knots (for canal cruising with the family and trolling). i also give the little fella a good run on the back of a mates tinny (crabbing mainly).i welded the bracket up myself and the motor was cheap so all up cost was under $400 and no fumes with family is great. if the sh*t ever does hit the fan least im not paddling;) weight all up is prob bout 40ks including gas so no great diff. if i ever upgrade to a luverly new 4stroke i reckon the aux. will go but for now its a big comfort factor espec. with 2 littleys and the wifey on board;D .
everyones got different opinions and different boats eh!

cheers ryan

NAGG
22-05-2011, 08:01 PM
I think in this day & age with the new generation motors - the little aux motor should have had its day . Unless you were in a totally remote location - I wouldn't even consider one. A good radio & following a decent maintenance regime should cover you.

In 20 years of boating - I reckon I would have been in a situation to need one ..... maybe 4 times - but of those , 3 were totally avoidable (run out of fuel x 2 ...... flat battery x 1 ..... running a lot of electronics off 1 battery)

So yeh ..... maybe peace of mind ...... but - ( do you tow a spare car behind you ?::))

Chris

oldboot
22-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Auxiluray motors were at one time a pretty popular thing, particularly with hose who were going "outside"

I think its a case that most people are not even thinking that far ahead these days.

On the other hand quite a few people are running twins, because they can afford it these days..so they have two motirs anyway.

A mate of mine, inherited his dads boat and it is a bit old school......its a 16 fotter with a 70 as the main motor and a 15 on a swing up bracket.

Having been aboard running under the 15......I would like to try and come home over a bar with any less.

As for the expectations that modern motors are any more reliable........ya kidding me right.

ask any realistic dealer...they will say if you are going remote ya best choice is an old style carby two stroke.

We hear stroies almost every week of someone having some sort of problem with a modern outboard.

With the old carby motors if ya got some water in the fuel you could drain the carby and tilt the tank to keep the water out of the pick up....... but there is not much you can fix with a modern outboard.

I recon an auxiluary is still as good an idea as it ever was.

cheers

PADDLES
23-05-2011, 08:27 AM
i think it depends on where you go boating. if you're in an area with vmr or coast guard coverage and plenty of other boats around it's probably not worth the hassle. if you are in a remote area then probably twin engines with seperate tanks is the go. having an auxiliary is a real good excuse to buy a little 12 foot tinny though for some river runs.

cormorant
23-05-2011, 03:21 PM
It depends where you are and what your boat is but I look at it this way

If when your motor fails you can't row your boat to safety in the worst case scenario you should have a Auxillary

If your boat is too large to row you should have a Auxillary

Used to be in the regs ( don't know if it still is) "a seconday means of propulsion" A paddle on anything over 12 foot is not propelling a boat anywhere where there is wind or tide.

It doesn't matter what you are a member of or how good your mechanic it etc etc . Things break down.

I didn't think VMR was a waterside service I thought it was a rescue organisation for emergencies.

When a emergency happens it compounds problems - both batteries fail, radio stops etc etc. Never happens as a single thing in real emergencies

Be self sufficient as far as you can. If using a 2nd traveling boat as your backup make sure it has capacity and safety gear to take both crews.

Work out your displacement hull speed and get a outboard up to that size plus a bit. Folding brackets wear out and go sloppy. Fixed ones or ones that lift vertically are much more compact and sturdy.

A auxillary with electrics that can run a bilge pump, keep boat head to wind and make way.

A lot of hulls won't cope well with the extra transom weight especially if they have a very heavy 4 stroke on there.