PDA

View Full Version : Fresh fishing near Orange, NSW

Teejay24
03-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Hey all, heading to orange to work for 2 months. was just wondering if i should take my rod. i have never freshwater fished before but orange is a bit far from salt. what should i target and what are some places to start. land based
any help would be good

far kin Finn
04-02-2011, 07:41 AM
Yeah Mate, take your rod! Waters up at Burrendong Dam (north of Orange). Good reports of cod, yellowbelly and redfin. To the south, you have Wyangala which is fishing good for yellows because of rising waters. And to the Nth East in between Mudgee and Rylstone, you can try Windamere for yellows and maybe the odd cod. If you want trout, head east to Lake Lyall, near Lithgow. Deffinately take your rod. Good luck!

Teejay24
04-02-2011, 09:12 AM
cheers finn, thats really helpful. il research how to catch em and see how i go. would any of those spots have a better chance than others, being land based.

Teejay24
04-02-2011, 09:22 AM
also mate just wondering if theres any trout creeks or the like.

far kin Finn
04-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Burrendong has more shore access. Fish amounst the snags and structure. The best rivers would be Coxs River, Coxs river road (Duddawarra bridge) or Fish river, Honey suckle falls,Tarana. Hard too explain how too get there without a map, but turn off the main road when you see a sign Evans Crown nature reserve, and you'll be on the right track. Be warned, Heaps of Tiger snakes at both of these places this time of year. And lure and fly only, no bait allowed. It is private property at Honeysuckle falls, and the last time I was there I had too walk through a paddock of bulls. I think the landowner is ok with people fishing there as long as they take their rubbish with them and dont light any fires. Have fun!!!

Teejay24
05-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks alot for that mate. great info. at least ill still wet a line while im away. if i catch any ill be sure to let you know. I dont keep any of my catch so they still be there for you next time. Thats great ill try my best.

Thanks mate
Happy fishing

far kin Finn
05-02-2011, 01:27 PM
No, I would'nt keep anything out of any of those streams, some fish ive caught have been worm infested. But still good fun honing the fly skills for the real fish. (Snowy Mountains)

Teejay24
05-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Oh ok . Like you said worth the catch tho. Yeh I bet the mountains would be great for a camp n fish. Bet it's chilly tho. Il get there one day not to fond of the cold tho.
Cheers mate

poddy mullet
05-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Hey Teejay, if you want to get a taste of Freshwater Fishing, you should come to the Lake Burrendong Classic catch and release fishing competition! Check out www.iwra.com.au (http://www.iwra.com.au) for entry forms and details. Matt Hansen

far kin Finn
05-02-2011, 11:25 PM
The only difference between lure and fly in these locations is that a fly is more likely to get snagged out of the water, and a lure will be snagged underwater. Avoid metal spinners, even though they work (celta 1) because the water isn't that deep and they will sink and stay on the bottom. I recommend a small Rappala or any small floating lure, so you can wind out the line slack and control the depth it swims at.