PDA

View Full Version : Trailer suggestion for limited space

jasonway
01-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Hi All,

I'm currently in the market for a Tinny. The issue is garage space. I can fit a 4m boat (5m trailer) however I would really like the 4.4m but the trailer jumps to 5.4m. Does anyone know of any solutions that would help my space issue? Ideally I would like the 4.4m boat with the trailer boat/motor overall length being no more than 4.6m
Storage and/or new home are not options....

Cheers

Jason

oldie
01-02-2011, 09:48 PM
really only way is a swing away draw bar, Dunbier do them and can be fitted at Dunbier dealer if they know what they are doing, otherwise can be ordered from factory prob at least $400 extra though but in the scheme of things not a bad $$ spent. Not sure if anyone does removable draw bars at all, but the swing away is sturdy and strong option.

Noelm
02-02-2011, 07:42 AM
yep, fold away draw bar is pretty common, a fully removable one would be possible, but would be a hassle to crawl around to remove and then refit it anytime you wanted to use the boat, almost all of the US boats coming out here to Aus have a fold away drawbar.

jasonway
02-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks guys, I have found out today that in fact dunbier do the swing away draw bar on the centreline 4.4 that I'm looking at for a cost of $800 extra.

cormorant
02-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Thanks guys, I have found out today that in fact dunbier do the swing away draw bar on the centreline 4.4 that I'm looking at for a cost of $800 extra.

Amazing they can get away with charging so much extra. I know that it possibly requires a different section for the drawbar and a extra couple of welds and the hinge itself but $800 is a bit rich. Try a bit of friendly negotiation. It is worth it to be able to keep it inside locked up but try and get a better deal on the whole package. Not sure what the total trailer cost is going to be but consider a custom alloy one as it will last and add to resale.

NAGG
02-02-2011, 07:13 PM
When I had my trailer built (marlin trailers) I organised a removable draw bar ...... 2 pins and 2 D shackles - takes about 2 mins

It allowed me to buy a 480 Hornet & fit it into a standard home unit garage .... at a slight angle.

Chris

wetryin
03-02-2011, 03:47 AM
Something completely different to consider without going the folding drawbar. My last boat sat on a Dumbier trailer and the bow of the boat sat just over a metre from the tow hitch. I now have a easytow trailer custom fitted to suit the boat (most recently purchased) and the bow roller sits 30cm from the tow ball. Both boats were realitively the same size yet I saved a metre of storage space for the barcrusher.

cormorant
03-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Something completely different to consider without going the folding drawbar. My last boat sat on a Dumbier trailer and the bow of the boat sat just over a metre from the tow hitch. I now have a easytow trailer custom fitted to suit the boat (most recently purchased) and the bow roller sits 30cm from the tow ball. Both boats were realitively the same size yet I saved a metre of storage space for the barcrusher.

Gotta be really careful with wagons as on steep dips that bow can get very close to the back screen, Ya can't open back door or hatch etc. With short drawbars they are a real handful to learn to reverse a swell.

Noelm
03-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Oh yeah, I have seen a few bow sprits poked through the rear window of station wagons, a really short draw bar is fine, but it does come with some penalties.

gunna
03-02-2011, 01:37 PM
I had a swing-away fitted to mine for $300. I also have vehicle positioning jacks so I can swing the bar then just push the boat sideways into the corner where it belongs.

cormorant
03-02-2011, 02:01 PM
A mate has "barge board" that after putting the trailer in the garage he places under the drawbar which he lets rest on the ground. The then closes and locks the garage door in that position ( just notch out new lock position ingarage door track ) and a hasp lock padlocked to the concrete keeps the barge board in. Yep the drawbar hangs out but he didn't have to cut the old trailer and as it is indoors it satisfies the insurers. Just have to watch stubbing your foot after a few beers at night but it has a road cone on it to soften the blow. No cutting of trailer or door.

He had to move his boat well forward on the trailer as there was a bit of overhang of the boat behind the last roller and then move the axel as it stuffed up the towball weight but still better than cutting a gal trailer.
I am not really 100% sure if I was doing long beach work if I would trust a folding drawbar but normal tar work should be OK. I would only be buying from a reputable trailer maker who has stuff that is ADR compliant as I often see them with the USA hitches that aren't compliant

wetryin
04-02-2011, 08:21 PM
to Noelm and Cormorant,
Yes; you are right. At the start of last year I put on a stressfree winch and a sarca anchor and I cannot leave the sarca in the normal position as it does tend to scrape onto the hardcover of the back tyre of the prado when hard cornering. I simply retract it to a higher height to overcome this... and make sure that I havent forgotten anything big left in the boot of the prado as that doesnt open either too much when the trailer is on.

truth stretcher
04-02-2011, 09:03 PM
I have an eastow tandem trailer for my barcrusher and it has a folding drawbar . Thought i would post a piccy.

bden
05-02-2011, 06:23 AM
I have a sliding drawbar on mine. I havn't seen any others but Mackay used to make them. Here is a picture demonstrating how when fully pushed in it does not extend past the bow.http://www.fishnet.com.au/content/fishnet/images/gallery/1ab3212e-308a-47e3-ac3d-ec09e4a67074_original.jpg