PDA

View Full Version : 6m+ boat, I just dont know what to get

TheRealAndy
01-02-2011, 08:36 PM
I have been tossing the idea around for a (long) while about buying a 6m+ boat. First I had the cash to buy a new one, but then paid of the house instead. Good move I think. Now I am about halfway into saving up for the Haines Signature 600 that I like, but I also really wanted the 702. Then to add to that, Timmy and I stepped aboard the Power Cat at the tinny and tackle show last year and I loved that too.

Now, I am thinking maybe I should sell the polycraft and look at buying a second hand boat, maybe around the 20k mark and putting my cash into investments. Not sure what 20k would buy me in the category I am chasing, but nothing has impressed me yet. Might have to look at a little more money.

I think I need some guidance.:-?

Tangles
01-02-2011, 09:58 PM
I know others will give you far better advice but, only thing is, what if you want to go Barra/creek fishing after youve sold the Poly? not much of a leap from 2 boats to 3,, or you could sell the Sailboat

TheRealAndy
01-02-2011, 10:10 PM
I know others will give you far better advice but, only thing is, what if you want to go Barra/creek fishing after youve sold the Poly? not much of a leap from 2 boats to 3,, or you could sell the Sailboat

OR 4 boats. Just about to buy hobie cat too!

Tangles
01-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Andy you have a problem!;D

TheRealAndy
01-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Andy you have a problem!;D

Yes, I do. I dont have enough space, hence the reason I am looking for a new place to live.

Forgot to add, I want to build a replica of an old rag boat too!!

Noelm
02-02-2011, 07:39 AM
I kind of reckon there would be heaps of good 6m boats around for that sort of cash! maybe not near new, but plenty with near new motors and so on, having the cash puts you in the box seat, if you see something, you can haggle and buy straight away, most go looking, then need to organise some sort of finance, by then others mayhave looked, offered or left a deposit, I recently sold my wife's Subaru Imrezza, and it kind of took me by surprise when a young girl turned up to have a look, her boyfriend took it for a drive, we spoke a while and agreed on a price, she asked would I knock another $200 off if she paid cash right now, I thought about it and said $100 off, she said OK , and pulled a pile of cash from her bag and paid right there and then!

PADDLES
02-02-2011, 08:40 AM
i reckon you'll really struggle to buy a 6m boat with a newer motor for less than $20k. there's a few 80's hulls that pop up around the 18 foot mark with an older engine for low/mid teens (for example late 80's, early 90's signature 550's) and sometimes you see these 80's hulls with newer motors for around $20k, but 6m and over nearly always seems to start at $20k with and old motor/trailer and goes up from there. i wouldn't be too scared about old motors though if they check out ok, it's not like you're going to be using it every day with the fleet that you've already got, so fuel consumption/cost isn't going to be an issue.

finga
02-02-2011, 10:17 AM
OR 4 boats. Just about to buy hobie cat too!
You go Andy.

I have 4 looking for #5.
I found 5 but not enough crumbs in the cookie tin to pay for it. :-[...... Yet ;D
It's made of wood and has a huge 7 1/2 hp motor that goes putt putt and has a tiller steer.

Argle
02-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Just get the Powercat - went for a run on the 3100 with twin 300 zuks - WOW

Cheers
Scott

TheRealAndy
02-02-2011, 01:01 PM
i reckon you'll really struggle to buy a 6m boat with a newer motor for less than $20k. there's a few 80's hulls that pop up around the 18 foot mark with an older engine for low/mid teens (for example late 80's, early 90's signature 550's) and sometimes you see these 80's hulls with newer motors for around $20k, but 6m and over nearly always seems to start at $20k with and old motor/trailer and goes up from there. i wouldn't be too scared about old motors though if they check out ok, it's not like you're going to be using it every day with the fleet that you've already got, so fuel consumption/cost isn't going to be an issue.

The way I see it, when buying a second hand boat, you need to factor in a replacement outboard unless its new. So the 20k boat really becomes a 40k boat, but sometimes you get lucky!

Just get the Powercat - went for a run on the 3100 with twin 300 zuks - WOW

Cheers
Scott

Cant afford the powercat at this point. Will be saving for a few more years for one of them!

Almako
02-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Wow 6+m for $20k. If you find a seaworthy one at that price, i'll be amazed. But then seaworthy just depends on how much you value your own safety, and where your going. I'd look at Cruisecraft or Haines. Alternatively look at US.

PADDLES
02-02-2011, 03:45 PM
that's an excellent way to look at a older second hand boats andy, the best thing about taking that approach is that every day you get out of the motor on the boat you've purchased is a bonus.

four_button_arnie
02-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Andy didnt i read you where chasing a Yalta craft??? Why have you bailed on that option? Just wondering because i think its time to get a serious reef boat for old Gladstone, and i really like the look of the Yalta's.

Ps dont worry bout the coin just do it!

Josh

TheRealAndy
02-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Wow 6+m for $20k. If you find a seaworthy one at that price, i'll be amazed. But then seaworthy just depends on how much you value your own safety, and where your going. I'd look at Cruisecraft or Haines. Alternatively look at US.

When I say 20k, I pretty much mean for a hull. As for making it seaworthy, I can do that.

trymyluck
02-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Andy didnt i read you where chasing a Yalta craft??? Why have you bailed on that option? Just wondering because i think its time to get a serious reef boat for old Gladstone, and i really like the look of the Yalta's.

Josh

So you'll be negotiating $$$ with Newbs over Carnelpya........;D;D;D

krazyfisher
02-02-2011, 07:26 PM
I would think you would need to spend $25k plus for a good 6mtr plus boat

TheRealAndy
02-02-2011, 08:45 PM

Josh

Yalta is still an option. The signatures are a much nicer finished boat. This has to be a wifey boat too, so need some creature comforts.

Jarrah Jack
02-02-2011, 09:58 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/haines-hunter-/110643059881?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item19c2d71ca9http://

Have a look at that one Andy and there are a few other Haines on ebay at the moment that may have you thinking..

Argle
03-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Yalta is still an option. The signatures are a much nicer finished boat. This has to be a wifey boat too, so need some creature comforts.

And then there is the Signature ride.......awesome8-) Decisions decisions