PDA

View Full Version : Is a SS prop worth the coin ?

themerlin
01-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Can anyone comment on this, is a SS prop worth it ? I know they look nice and shiny but what benefit are they on 60ph ?

I have seen a few bargains in the US but I need to get such a thing past the funding committie ie wife so any safety comments would be welcome ;D

Midnight
01-02-2011, 08:16 PM
If your current alloy prop is covered in dings from hitting things, then definitely no.

If you're never likely to ground the prop during your normal usage, then the right stainless prop can improve your performance greatly.

It all depends on how you use your boat and what you want to achieve.

More info needed to work out if it is worth it for you.

If you want professional advice, ring Steve at Solas Props on the Sunny Coast. He has done a few props for me and is very good to deal with.

Cheers,
Myles

Scalem
01-02-2011, 09:58 PM
When I made the change and bought my 1st ss from Solas for my 70hp Jonno the difference was amazing!! I had a standard Jonno alloy prop which performed fine... at least up until my brother bought a bluefin 4.0 tinny with a 2s 40hp Merc and it had more top end than my Jonno on a glass 4.3 mtr Mustang:o I could not tolerate being beaten by his rig could I?? It certainly raised the question though, sibling rivalry aside, going stainless fixed things back the way it should be;) Holeshot was better, WOT gained between 5 -10kph more. Stainless also is more forgiving unless you drag the boat over rock bars.

Scalem

robothefisho
01-02-2011, 10:46 PM
In short No. They arn't worth it. Do they perform better, sometimes if you get a good one. In a boat I set up recently there was no performance advantage going to stainless aftermarket, won't name brands. Where you will see gains is high performance stuff and when you take the time and effort to find the best prop and motor height setup. Generally they, (SS) offer more grip and theoretically better efficiency.

The only SS props i like are from the Mercury and Evinrude stable. But they just arn't worth the money for a recreational boaty. These days good alloy props are a better bet value for money wise. Also getting some cupping on the standard alloy props helps a fair bit. But specific to boat motor etc.

Timfishin4fun
02-02-2011, 06:54 AM
Yes they are worth it.

A massive difference putting the solas on.

For my normal trip I used 17 lts now down to 12lts.

And it made the boat ride different due to no slippage.

What 60 have you got as I have a brand new Solas here for a 60 yammie.

Bought it for a mate and now not needed. Will do and awesome price for you you won't believe.

Tim

hakuna
02-02-2011, 07:19 AM
remember if you hit somthing with the s/s prop there will be no give and it will damage inside your motor leg and be more costly, as oposed to the alum one that will break and have some give
s/s is normally for the bigger motors that dont bash around the rivers but used at sea type situations, bigger motors usually come with s/s props

cheers

themerlin
02-02-2011, 08:43 PM
I have a 60 4st EFI merc.

The price for a Solas in the USA is very tempting at the moment.

Bought it for a mate and now not needed. Will do and awesome price for you you won't believe.

Tim

Spaniard_King
03-02-2011, 05:39 AM
remember if you hit somthing with the s/s prop there will be no give and it will damage inside your motor leg and be more costly, as oposed to the alum one that will break and have some give
s/s is normally for the bigger motors that dont bash around the rivers but used at sea type situations, bigger motors usually come with s/s props

cheers

This is like an old wifes tale. Modern day gearboxes are way stronger than in the past. The stainless props all have some means of redusing impact to the gears ie ruber hubs or nylon hubs.

I have many engines in comercial aplications running around the brisbane river cleaning up from the floods.. they all run stainless props.. the prop guys have been busy with repairs from striking uinderwater objects and non have sustained gearbox damage.

Noelm
03-02-2011, 08:13 AM
Stainless is the way to go (if you have some spare cash) Merc props seems to be very good for an "off the shelf" product, and pretty good on price too, a stainless prop wrecking your gear box if you hit something is indeed an old wive's tale (as mentioned) why is a stainless prop better? they can be made much thinner, will take a far bigger cup that alloy, what is cup you ask? the trailing edge of the blade is "bent" to make a "cup" on the trailing edge, this in effect propells the water across the blade to the cup, that then sends it rearward far better than a full flat blade does, a flat blade allows the water to move outwards as well, causing slip and loss of efficiency! stainless props are also available in heaps of different shapes and styles to suit many different uses. So, the answer is YES!

themerlin
03-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Thanks for that !

What would be the effect of putting the same size and pitch SS prop on? Would the WOT RPMS be higer or lower ?

This is like an old wifes tale. Modern day gearboxes are way stronger than in the past. The stainless props all have some means of redusing impact to the gears ie ruber hubs or nylon hubs.

I have many engines in comercial aplications running around the brisbane river cleaning up from the floods.. they all run stainless props.. the prop guys have been busy with repairs from striking uinderwater objects and non have sustained gearbox damage.

Noelm
03-02-2011, 08:29 AM
as a general rule (very general) a stainless prop of the same size will see approx 300-500RPM increase, some well setup boats can go the next size up, and retain their max RPM, but in effect pick up some speed and fuel economy (but not always)

robothefisho
03-02-2011, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't be expecting a gain in revs with the same size SS prop. Normally i see a slight reduction in revs with SS due to less blade flex and more cupping than alloy props.

johnnytheone
03-02-2011, 08:58 PM
I think they do help performance a bit, although like a lot of performance "enhancers". the degree of improvement will probably vary from boat to boat. IMO I wouldn't use one if I was poking around shallow reef country as I don't reckon they give a lot if you hit something, (with respect to Spaniard King. In deeper open water - no probs.
It would be interesting to see if there were any underwater slow motion film comparisons between the various prop materials that showed any deflection or distortion, as I guess that is what will be the ultimate difference between them.

TheRealAndy
03-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Yes they are worth it.

A massive difference putting the solas on.

For my normal trip I used 17 lts now down to 12lts.

And it made the boat ride different due to no slippage.

Tim

What size and pitch is the one you have for sale? I have a 50hp yam and I could do with something that can handle a little more punishment from the sand and rock bars when crabbing!

NAGG
03-02-2011, 09:08 PM
I tried a SS prop on my 480 Hornet / 60hp yammi 4stk combo - and I really got nothing out of it
I did better when I dropped down in pitch from a 13 to 12" in a alloy prop.

From my understanding, the real advantage is gained in bigger motors on high performance boats or ones used offshore
Gaining a 100rpm or so here and there does little in a 60 HP situation.... 4 or 5 times the price is a lot of coin for a shiny prop

Chris

death_ship
04-02-2011, 05:44 AM
stainless made a massive difference on my 130 honda. the improvement was huge

themerlin
04-02-2011, 08:24 AM
True, but when you can get them from the USA for just over $200 then it might be worth it.

I also figure I could sell it on ebay for more then that if it's no good :)

Gaining a 100rpm or so here and there does little in a 60 HP situation.... 4 or 5 times the price is a lot of coin for a shiny prop

Chris

TheRealAndy
04-02-2011, 08:37 AM
True, but when you can get them from the USA for just over $200 then it might be worth it.

A standard alloy prop for my 50 is about $220, so not a bad price for SS.

themerlin
06-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Looking at about 270-300 after shipping.

I know someone going to the US, what do these props weigh ? Might see if he has room in his luggage.

A standard alloy prop for my 50 is about $220, so not a bad price for SS.

FNQCairns
06-02-2011, 06:34 PM
yes if you can get one cheap (equivalent price of an aluminum), most certainly no if you buy retail here in OZ, almost exclusively one can find an aluminum prop that will work just as well as a stainless...today those extra nice SS merc props might be a bit of an exception.

the science says typical SS props only actually start working better than aluminum at a very specific number of revolutions per minute, doesn't matter what engine or boat it is matched to they have a nature given rpm where they become a best choice and aluminum at that point not in the race because of flex and edge thickness....99% of fishing boats never ever see this prop shaft rpm.

FishHunter
06-02-2011, 06:55 PM

True but will the USA supplier swap it for you if you guess wrong? Or will you pick the brains of a local supplier and then buy from overseas?

NAGG
06-02-2011, 06:57 PM

At 200 bills ..... its gotta be worth a look (I just paid $135 for a yammi alloy)

Chris

truth stretcher
06-02-2011, 07:26 PM
I have been very interested in the opinions on stainless props given here and was wondering, have all the guys that have had performance increases by changing props either have boats with trim tabs or not.
Or should my boat be fitted with trim tabs before I consider looking for options on props?

Spaniard_King
06-02-2011, 08:10 PM
yes if you can get one cheap (equivalent price of an aluminum), most certainly no if you buy retail here in OZ, almost exclusively one can find an aluminum prop that will work just as well as a stainless...today those extra nice SS merc props might be a bit of an exception.

the science says typical SS props only actually start working better than aluminum at a very specific number of revolutions per minute, doesn't matter what engine or boat it is matched to they have a nature given rpm where they become a best choice and aluminum at that point not in the race because of flex and edge thickness....99% of fishing boats never ever see this prop shaft rpm.

FNQ, your not gunna like this but seriously thats utter cods wallop!!!

Right from the start the SS has the edge... what is this imaginary prop shaft RPM that fishing boats will never see in which SS will outperform the ally.

Ally props flex significanly and more so under acceleration..even SS prop flex under acceleration.

For longevity SS are a no brainer..as if fuel economy is an issue.. if your purchase is economic based by an ally for all other reasons a stainless prop will be worth the extra $$

themerlin
06-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Yes thats the issue. They might exchange it but the postage back will not make sense.
Maybe an option would be to sell it on ebay if need be, sure someone would pay $300 for a new prop.

True but will the USA supplier swap it for you if you guess wrong? Or will you pick the brains of a local supplier and then buy from overseas?

themerlin
06-02-2011, 08:23 PM
And where the same size props used? Could the extra performance come from someone who know what they are doing sizing the prop vs the standard factory config.

I have been very interested in the opinions on stainless props given here and was wondering, have all the guys that have had performance increases by changing props either have boats with trim tabs or not.
Or should my boat be fitted with trim tabs before I consider looking for options on props?

themerlin
08-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Prop ordered, cost $290 for a solas SS with postage.

FNQCairns
08-02-2011, 11:11 AM
FNQ, your not gunna like this but seriously thats utter cods wallop!!!

Right from the start the SS has the edge... what is this imaginary prop shaft RPM that fishing boats will never see in which SS will outperform the ally.

Ally props flex significanly and more so under acceleration..even SS prop flex under acceleration.

For longevity SS are a no brainer..as if fuel economy is an issue.. if your purchase is economic based by an ally for all other reasons a stainless prop will be worth the extra $$

yeah Garry it's true, worldwide undertanding decades old, for instance a bloke has invented an aluminum prop that has such a thick leading edge that when spinning it cannot cut a persons leg. This stupid thick leading edge allows for only a couple of % loss in efficiency, 4 times thicker than the standard aluminum leading edge, the rest of the prop is just a regular prop. Popular off the shelf props are really dumb devices.

Same goes with standard aluminum props, until the shaft speed reaches a certain RPM the efficiency gain going thinner is hardly worth considering. That's the science and I understand how it would seem different but until that shaft RPM reaches high enough SS is not much more than bling and of coarse stronger like you say. Very very few fishing boats can actually reach the shaft RPM needed for the leading edge impact pressures of water to compound and therefore start to rob efficiency.

I run Aluminum on mine still cannot find a SS that is as efficient but i could have just as easily, it's a lucky dip regardless which one will do the best job and if each prop where seriously identical in all design except for blade thickness no one with a fishing boat would ever notice any difference in performance from a changeover.

Simple cup and blade surface area design between off the shelf props has heaps more impact on efficiency robbing performance than anything alum V SS does.

Timfishin4fun
08-02-2011, 11:16 AM
What size and pitch is the one you have for sale? I have a 50hp yam and I could do with something that can handle a little more punishment from the sand and rock bars when crabbing!

I have a Solas New Satarn 11 5/8 dia x 11 pitch.

Timbo

tropicrows
08-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Where I have done the right thing or not is still up for debate.

I have a suzi140 that is fitted with a Alloy 3x14x19 prop. Top speed was great, mid range ok, but hole shot bad. After discussions with Steve from Solas I purchased a SS 4x13x17, top speed faster, mid range slightly slower and fuel usage was more, but the hole shot was bloody brilliant half that of the alloy prop. However overall Steve & I were not happy with the performance so it had been exchanged for a SS 3x13 7/8x 17 HR Titan.
I am yet to do the on water tests with this latest prop, but when I do I will post these results and you can tell me if the $650 cost has been worth it.
I could have purchased from OS cheaper but choose not to, Steve has answered all my questions plus I have that peace of mind that I can keep swapping props until we get it right.

themerlin
28-02-2011, 08:01 AM
First trip out with it on Sunday.
Holeshot is much better, top speed a little better WOT RPM much better.
Fuel economy seems better but it's hard to tell on one trip.

Where I have done the right thing or not is still up for debate.

I have a suzi140 that is fitted with a Alloy 3x14x19 prop. Top speed was great, mid range ok, but hole shot bad. After discussions with Steve from Solas I purchased a SS 4x13x17, top speed faster, mid range slightly slower and fuel usage was more, but the hole shot was bloody brilliant half that of the alloy prop. However overall Steve & I were not happy with the performance so it had been exchanged for a SS 3x13 7/8x 17 HR Titan.
I am yet to do the on water tests with this latest prop, but when I do I will post these results and you can tell me if the $650 cost has been worth it.
I could have purchased from OS cheaper but choose not to, Steve has answered all my questions plus I have that peace of mind that I can keep swapping props until we get it right.

tropicrows
28-02-2011, 09:20 AM
So in summary, yes I could have purchased a cheaper prop from overseas. Given however that I exchanged the first 4 blade prop, for a 3 blade I would have to purchase 2 props from overseas to get the end result and then resell the first one.
Have I got the right prop on now and is it better than my original one. Look at the results and you tell me, I already know the answer.
Dollar wise yes it would have still been cheaper to buy from overseas after I sold the first prop. So did I the right thing from purchasing in Aust ?????? :)

themerlin
01-03-2011, 08:17 AM
I would pay more locally but $500 compared to $200 is really taking the p***.
Someone is making a huge markup and ripping us off (propabally not the retailer).

I hope the puplic importing stuff from overseas will help bring down the price difference in the long term.

So import for the people ;D

So in summary, yes I could have purchased a cheaper prop from overseas. Given however that I exchanged the first 4 blade prop, for a 3 blade I would have to purchase 2 props from overseas to get the end result and then resell the first one.
Have I got the right prop on now and is it better than my original one. Look at the results and you tell me, I already know the answer.
Dollar wise yes it would have still been cheaper to buy from overseas after I sold the first prop. So did I the right thing from purchasing in Aust ?????? :)

FNQCairns
01-03-2011, 09:02 AM

Gee!, good job on the testing and record keeping.