PDA

View Full Version : Beach Launching Fun

Jarrah Jack
29-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Was going to go for a fish today but decided it was too rough. I noticed some blokes further down the beach trying to launch in the wrong area for high tide. As you can see by the pix things got a bit hairy.

The motor was swamped along with the boat. I helped them get the boat back on the trailer by unhitching and winching the trailer under the boat. They got the water out but were happy to drive home with the sand in the boat and the trailer sitting like that. They reckoned the boat was right sitting on the old trailer with a ton of sand in it.

I explained to them that it would tow better with the sand out and the trailer wouldn't fall apart either!!!! Gotta laugh sometimes..::)

charleville
29-01-2011, 10:59 AM
I'll bet that they really enjoyed seeing you take pictures of their plight as well. ;D ;D ;D

The_Tub
29-01-2011, 06:38 PM
i think the last thing they would be thinking was how the trailer was going to cope,i cant beleive you got away with your camera

Jarrah Jack
29-01-2011, 07:24 PM
I helped them pull the boat out which they weren't managing otherwise. No one else offered any assistance. Then I asked them if it was ok to take a few pictures and putting them on here is a warning to others. There are lots of stories of grief from launching at that spot and as I explained to the guys I've done most of them.

One of the worst incidents was when a guy was holding his heavy glass boat at the front and a larger wave hit the back of the boat and sent it straight over the top of him. He came up at the back of the prop and was very lucky the boat didn't land on him.

charleville
30-01-2011, 02:35 PM
I helped them pull the boat out which they weren't managing otherwise. No one else offered any assistance.

That is strange. I have often received help from people at ramps even when I did not need it.

I even recall a lady tucking her dress under her panties like the girls used to do at school when playing sport and then wade out to help steady the boat when I was winching it on to the trailer. I did not ask for help at the time but was thankful that she should be so considerate.

I am surprised that if there were onlookers that they did not volunteer to help or at least ask the question as to whether help was needed. Generally, people are very helpful, I find.

MEG-A-BITE
30-01-2011, 05:26 PM
That motor dose not look like its going anyware soon...

Jarrah Jack
30-01-2011, 05:50 PM
I am surprised that if there were onlookers that they did not volunteer to help or at least ask the question as to whether help was needed. Generally, people are very helpful, I find.

Thats mexicans for you Bruce, not the whole enchilada.:)

But actually there were three surfer types and a 13ft boat so it wasn't a lack of hands, just needed sorting the best way to go about it.

As with any launching and retrieval in breaking waves knowledge and experience are the main things.