PDA

View Full Version : warning dont eat seafood from the bay

shano
27-01-2011, 08:27 PM
this was just posted 2 hours ago!
http://www.baysidebulletin.com.au/news/local/news/general/fishers-urged-to-steer-clear-of-bay-flood-plume/2059663.aspx

wish i had seen this before eating our feed from the bay today!!! bugga!

Dezzer
27-01-2011, 08:45 PM
I wouldn't mind betting that you don't have two heads next week.

shano
27-01-2011, 08:52 PM
gee i hope not, the wife & 3 kids all ate the fish and crab also, the fish and crab all looked very very healthy,

wayno60
27-01-2011, 09:02 PM
shano, in the morning you might wake up with 6 kids and two wives.....

sleepygreg
27-01-2011, 09:03 PM
I reckon you will be ok. And I would put money on those 'acid burns' being the normal red spotted ulcers that always appear on some fish after a big 'fresh'...especially bream.

antg2378
27-01-2011, 09:13 PM
I know of a mechanics workshop whose 800lt used engine oil tank toppled over and its contents no doubt ended up in the river, this is only one of probably thousands of businesses who were inundated by flood waters who lost containers and barrels of harmful substances. But having said that I am currently working in Brisbane CBD at a major highrise construction site and have been walking across the Story Bridge due to the lack of public transport.
The mark left on some of the buildings along the river walk by the peak of the water level is nothing short of astounding, chemical ridden.......don't know, harmful......don't know either. The only way to know for sure is to wait for the results of the bay water tests.

Steeler
27-01-2011, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't mind betting that you don't have two heads next week.

Then we will have to ship him off to Tassie;).

Raesen
27-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Gentlemen I'm not sure.

If you think back and read all that was printed about the 1974 floods and the 2011 floods the most recent were not quite as high.

However if you also think back to 74 people who lived on the Bris and other tributaries probably coudn't afford to have a motor boat parked at their back fence let alone a jet ski, parking bay (pontoon - storage location for fuels etc) and all the other bits of modern society. Just trying to pay for their house.....

I think if you only look at the boats, pontoons(storage bays), and all the other sh#t (sorry stuff) that has flushed out into the main local seafood system (Moreton Bay) let alone what travellled from the Luggage Point plant, city sewers and so on I personnally have some concerns.

For the better I think I will wait. I have decided to wait to go fishing and crabbing given the potential stuff in the waterways and the damage it could do to my boat and/or me. I have also decided to wait to partake any local seafood (which is the best) for better or worse.

Better safe than sorry in my opinion....

Cheers
Pete

FNQCairns
27-01-2011, 10:23 PM
It's all a bit of a gumby beatup ATM for us anglers unless the government is keeping secret the million+ Litre's of concentrated highly carcinogenic substance that spilled from a holding tank somewhere. for sure we have sensors capable of reading almost any concentration these days.........so best not to go measuring the processed food or the skin and all - apple/pear/peach etc you ate yesterday :)

If it is going to hurt you this soon after the event the animal you ate died first from it and even then who also eats the entire contents of the gut cavity, takes time to bio-accumulate, the contamination level before the flood was already ultra low all things considered,...would take one hell of a lot of pure contaminate to beat the dilution factor of the flood water plus the tidal dilution not to mention the accumulation needs to start pretty much at the organism level one needs at least a microscope to see.

Still if I was worried i would stay away from oysters/crabs for at least a little while, couple months?

TheRealAndy
27-01-2011, 10:27 PM
I am divided on this. HAving grown up on the bay, I know that back when I was a kid it was a lot worse than what it is now. I also look at industry as a whole and how they have to manage chemcical and waste now and its a lot better than it was. I know that a lot of shit would have ended up in the bay, but I think its probably far less than what would have happened in the past.

Also, a lot of fresh water has combined with a lot of sea water, so one would expect most chemicals and raw sewerage to have dispersed into the water. Heavy metals may present a different issue.

I keenly await test of oysters, as I think they are a good indicator of water quality.

Lucky 1
27-01-2011, 11:01 PM
I reckon you will be ok. And I would put money on those 'acid burns' being the normal red spotted ulcers that always appear on some fish after a big 'fresh'...especially bream.

I have seen those ulcers in bream a few years ago, after a big fresh at the mouth of the Clarence river. It is supposedly caused by acid sulfate run off, as a result of corrosion.

sleepygreg
27-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Now where is Ben D when you need him.....I am sure he could shed more light on this issue.

oldie
28-01-2011, 07:29 PM
must be red spot

FNQCairns
28-01-2011, 08:26 PM
yeah ph is way out and so are other physical parameters, weaker or slower fish my get culled to some degree, foods is harder to find...life is a mess that they have seen 10k times before over their evolution, strong ones will survive...it's a good thing for organisms over time, it's why they are still swimming and not simply fossils.

Still worth leaving the filter feeders alone, not unexpected one could catch hepatitis from on of these from this event.

Stuart
29-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Come on guys, the green zones id there job. I mean while the rest of the bay is mud, the green zones are pristine blue. It amazed me how the mud just seemed to travel around the borders of the green zones and all the fish with in them are also in pristine condition. Its quite ironic that we as fisherman said run off and silt was the biggest threat, well this is a classic example of what we where talking about. ::)

Stu

Outdoor Guy
30-01-2011, 07:22 AM
caught a yellabelly the other day and it tasted great
the fish are fine out here in chinchilla LOL

antg2378
30-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Article from todays Sunday Mail, http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/water-contamination-threat-relief/story-fn6ck51p-1225996711890

shano
30-01-2011, 10:11 AM
yep well we survived lol , the plume was no where near where i fished lol. water was pretty clear! anyway here is the latest article from the government website.
http://statements.cabinet.qld.gov.au/MMS/StatementDisplaySingle.aspx?id=73459

themerlin
30-01-2011, 10:15 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_HebHJGR5JjI/SKrh9boFAKI/AAAAAAAAAPM/aODZaMu-FYQ/s400/Blinky.jpg

pickers
30-01-2011, 11:40 AM
this was just posted 2 hours ago!
http://www.baysidebulletin.com.au/news/local/news/general/fishers-urged-to-steer-clear-of-bay-flood-plume/2059663.aspx

wish i had seen this before eating our feed from the bay today!!! bugga!
they are just bloody scaremongering , best thing to happen to the bay in years.
pickers

Macktheknife
30-01-2011, 01:40 PM
I work around the Rocklea area. Firstly, the Oxley sewerage works were totally covered in water and on a few occasions, I could see massive slicks of what would have been petroleum based products floating out. There were a huge number of industrial properties under water in that area and just taking a drive around now, there is a huge amount of vegetation that has died also.

Just seeing these thing, I'd be a bit careful of what I ate out of the affected areas just yet.

themerlin
30-01-2011, 06:40 PM
I was fishing in cabbage tree creek today and the council where out in force telling people the water wasn't safe.