PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a new Yammie 70hp 4 stroke ?

Angry
27-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Im thinking abiout repowering my boat, its a Stacer 460 tournamnet , currenlty got a Merc 60 but its slow onto plane despite numerous attempts at different props etc.
The boat is plated a max of 70hp (not 75 unfortunaltely) so my engine choice is limited to the following
1/ Tohatsu 70hp 2 Stroke EFI ( not keen on 2 stroke)
2/ Yammie 2 stroke carbie (not an option really)
3/ Yammie 70hp 4 stroke EFI
or my preference Suzuki 70hp EFI.

I would liek to know if anyone has a Yammie 70 4 stroek & what hull its on, as the 70 is developed from the 60 it still only has 996cc capacity, given its weight is only 120kg.

I know its 70hp , but its about the torque I need to get up onto plan. the Suzuki is 1502cc capacity so i think it will kill the Yammie for torque.

Does anyone have one & how do they find it ???

deckie
27-01-2011, 11:06 AM
You want out of the hole on a 4.6m tinnie ?
You've ruled out your best option... number 2.
At only 105kg u get everything u want plus save a fair few bux. Why would u prefer the option of paying considerably more for something that has LESS torque (coz thats what u say u want), with less power to weight ratio and basically less grunt out of the hole ?
Arnt u completely contradicting what u want ?...coz if you;ve ruled out option 2 then you;ve basically already decided exactly what u want and are simply asking us to agree.

This 4 stroke business has be beat...in a car the more money u pay for performance the louder the motor...u want to hear it..louder the better. They even doctor the exhaust in case u complain its too quiet. In fact if they could mount the motor on a ferrari on the outside they'd probably sell more.

Option 2 my choice without any hesitation based on what u say u want.....nothing wrong with option 1 also.
Then use the money and weight savings to fit extractors, a blower and maybe nitrous injection ;D

Just be careful with transom weights...check the weight of the old donk against a new 4 stroke if thats what u want. That added weight may mean u get no added performance at all. The old donk may have been 63hp with good torque and swapping for a 68hp with less torque and heavier...esp the suzi 70 coz i think they're still pretty hefty.

davo
27-01-2011, 08:02 PM
I have the 60HP 4 stroke Yammy on a 480 Fisher plate boat. I will be repowering to the 70hp this year after 9 years of trouble free operation. I have never had complaints from anyone in my boat about slowness on the plane and I have the old carby model pushy a heavy plate boat. With a pressed boat the 70hp 4 stroke would fly. I have spoken to my dealer at great lengths about the new 70's. They are completely different interally than the 60hp models. Actally my brother in law has the EFI 60hp 4 stroke Yammy on a 4.5 Bluefin with a bowmount electric and it goes very nicely. I can't speak for the Merc but I've converter a few 2 stroke owners to 4 stroke Yammies.

scoota
28-01-2011, 07:59 AM
I had a 70 4 stroke yammie put on my 4.74m Seafarer V-Sea about 6 months ago after much procrastination and know I have made the right choice.
With the high thrust gear box it jumps out of the water easily and cruises at 20 knots at 4000rpm. I like, when conditions allow it, to sit at 47-4800rpm for 23 knots and wot is 32 knots at 6000rpm. Economy is about 2.8km per litre in bay and offshore conditions for example we went to wide caloundra on Australia Day in some average conditions with 2 pob, 75 litres of fuel, bait, ice etc... and did 95km using 35 litres. Inshore/estuary work is up to 3km per litre.
I have been in a 4.8m quinny with a 60 4 stroke yammie and can tell you that though they share the same block they perform and sound different. My mate with the 60 said the 70 sounds more like a moto gp bike which they virtually are inside.
Its no ski boat but great for fishing!!!

Scoota...

Angry
02-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks Scoota & Davo
I should have put that I dont want a 2 stroke.

The choie will come down to Suzuki or Yammie.

the Yammie being new makes it harder as not too many out there yet. Its just when I get 3 in the boat it strf=ggles to jump onto plane, we fish the Dams here around the Snowy Mountains & Riverina area so when it blows up you have to be able to get going quick.

Love to her how you go with yours Davo.

The Yammie & Merc 60 are the same short motor its the accessories & legs that are different so Yammie or Merc 60 is all god, just need some more grunt than my current 60 .

Thanks guys.

Tim_N
02-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Hi Angry,
The Yammie and Suzuki will both produce 70 hp, so either will do.
BUT, if transom weight is the issue, then the only option is the Yamaha.
If your boat carries the weight and you carry a big payload, then go the Zuke.
Up to you, but both very good peices of equipment.
Living in afresh water environment, they will probably outlast you.
All the best with your decision.
Tim

Noelm
02-02-2011, 12:09 PM
the Suzuki 70 is a BIG motor (same weight as the 90) if weight is your enemy, forget that one.

Noelm
02-02-2011, 12:12 PM
I guess when you really look at what you are doing, you are only gaining 10HP (1/6th of what you have now) will 10HP give you such a noticable gain to warrant the cost of a new motor? that is the decision you need to make, you seem to have already chosen your motor, you are just looking for people to tell you that you made a good choice, well I can tell you, any motor is good these days (well up to a point)

propdinger
02-02-2011, 01:13 PM
i went form a 60hp yammy to a suzuki 60hp both 4 strokes the suzuki can handle so much more weight in the boat and still get on the plan without trouble and if you hit a big wave with the yammy it died but the suzuki hits a wave it just punchs through the wave so less time on the throttle less fuel used. so if weight of the boat is a issue then the more Cubic capacity you have the better from first hand experience. to do the same trip with the yammy used to cost me around 35ltrs same trip with same weight now costs 25ltrs and can stay on the plane the whole trip. unloaded for me makes no difference but its a 5.2mtr seajay centre console so its a light boat on a normal fishing trip.

NTMID8
02-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Just my 2c but the suzuki is 155kg whereas the yammie 120kg so the suzie needs the extra torque to push around the extra 35kg. On the size boat you speak of i think you will really notice that extra 35kg hanging off the back especially considering the merc 60hp (i assume 4strk) is only 112kg so your adding another 40kg from that! (and if its 2strk merc 100kg thats an extra 55kg!)

Im lookinf at getting the 70hp yammie for my boat (470 haines sig) middle of next year and weight is my biggest concern. Anyways thats just my thoughts

scoota
02-02-2011, 10:42 PM
OK Angry, I sh%t you not, I had a drag with a haines 470 with a 70 zuke and he had me by a knot but if I could carry a 70 suzi I would go a 90 at the same weight,
My boat can carry up to 115hp as the compliance suggests which can be a motor up to 175kg but seriously can't handle any serious weight above 120kg with fuel weight under the transome.
If you are going to do offshore work, the 70 yammie will do the job on a boat less than 5mtrs with rediculous economy and plenty of power.
The suzis are more thirsty!!! ask around....

Scoota...

Noelm
03-02-2011, 07:17 AM
a race with another boat does not mean too much, a bigger capacity engine (but still 70HP) will not necessarily go any faster, BUT it may be able to maintain a better cruise with more weight, but as I mentioned way back, the Suzuki (in the 70) is a big heavy motor, I did hear some gossip that the very light 60HP Suzie was more than likely going to get some added go, to compete with the new band of lightweight 70's out there

Jarrah Jack
03-02-2011, 01:57 PM
I've got a 70 zuk and you're right its big and heavy. Much the same weight as the 115 yammi 2 smoke that I had before. I took the fuel away from the rear and its made a big difference. My mate who has a 60 merc 4 stroke couldn't believe the difference in power compared to his in a lighter boat with less V.

Angry
03-02-2011, 09:02 PM
I've got a 70 zuk and you're right its big and heavy. Much the same weight as the 115 yammi 2 smoke that I had before. I took the fuel away from the rear and its made a big difference. My mate who has a 60 merc 4 stroke couldn't believe the difference in power compared to his in a lighter boat with less V.

Jack, which Suzuki have you got, because there are two versions of the Suzuki 70 , 4 stroke , the earlier model is 1300cc & is very heavy, 186kg !!.

The current model came out in late 2008 & is the ATL70, its a derated 80/90 the engine is 1503cc but it weighs 156kg.

The early model is way too heavy the newer one is lighter than anyother 70 4 stroke, except the Yammie which is as I said before based on the 60hp & is only 996cc but like the suzuki has a 13.5" diamatre prop

My Hull is rated max 70hp & I cant go any bigger the insurance company wont cover me so its 70 or nothing .

The reason IM saking if anyones actually got one of these engines is that before I spend $12000 or $13000 Id like to talk to someone & see how the engine goes especially in the case of the Yammie as its a new motor & theres not a lot of them around yet.

Noelm
04-02-2011, 07:37 AM
I have a pair of 90's (same motor) and they are fantastic motors, now to just quantify things a bit, I dont think they are any better than any other brand, but after I did my months of research, they came out on top for various reasons, my mate has a brand new (well a couple of months old) Suzuki 70 and it is great too, but then he just swapped from an old, tired carby, mix your own 2 stroke, so anything would be good by comparison. I still think your prices might be a tad dear, but then I have not priced one for a while now.

BM
04-02-2011, 09:02 AM
You want out of the hole on a 4.6m tinnie ?
You've ruled out your best option... number 2.
At only 105kg u get everything u want plus save a fair few bux. Why would u prefer the option of paying considerably more for something that has LESS torque (coz thats what u say u want), with less power to weight ratio and basically less grunt out of the hole ?
Arnt u completely contradicting what u want ?...coz if you;ve ruled out option 2 then you;ve basically already decided exactly what u want and are simply asking us to agree.

This 4 stroke business has be beat...in a car the more money u pay for performance the louder the motor...u want to hear it..louder the better. They even doctor the exhaust in case u complain its too quiet. In fact if they could mount the motor on a ferrari on the outside they'd probably sell more.

Option 2 my choice without any hesitation based on what u say u want.....nothing wrong with option 1 also.
Then use the money and weight savings to fit extractors, a blower and maybe nitrous injection ;D

Just be careful with transom weights...check the weight of the old donk against a new 4 stroke if thats what u want. That added weight may mean u get no added performance at all. The old donk may have been 63hp with good torque and swapping for a 68hp with less torque and heavier...esp the suzi 70 coz i think they're still pretty hefty.

I like the way your mind thinks mate! ;D and I couldn't agree more for the most part. It seems about 5 yrs or so ago fuel economy for boats became something of an important issue and the noise the engine made became an issue too??? I don't understand that, I really don't.

Something I have long found rather interesting is the weight of modern outboards when you start looking at fuel economy etc.

An old carby 200hp outboard is around 180kg.

Then you look at things like 70hp Suzuki at 156kg.

Or a 90hp EFI Merc 4 stroke at 181kg.

180kg---- 200hp

156kg---- 70hp

181kg---- 90hp

I think it would be very interesting to take a boat that has a 90 Merc 4 stroke on it for example and drop an old carby 200 on it (same weight) and cruise the 200 around at the speeds the 90 would normally be doing and compare fuel figures.

Angry, I agree with Noel that going up 10hp is a massive cost for a potentially marginal gain. Do you carry too much gear? Years ago I had an old 15ft fibreglass runabout with a 75hp Chrysler and we could deep start slalom skiers easily behind that, with 200kg of persons in the boat at the time also.

If your 60 is struggling to move a lightweight tinny around then the whole lot needs a close look (or its just highlighting the false economy as per the engine weights above).

Although the 4 stroke is always going to be slowish getting on plane (compared to the 2 stroke). After all, it fires half as often as a 2 stroke and its internal parts move twice the distance that 2 stroke parts do in order to carry out the same job.

cheers