PDA

View Full Version : Travels On Moreton Bay | Australia Day | Be Safe

QF3 MROCP
25-01-2011, 02:42 PM
A lot of reports today of debris still floating in the bay. Logs and pontoons are being reported around the Bribie Passage and Cabage Tree Creek.

If you are going out, may I suggest a few tips:

Check the weather report for Wind Drection and Tide status
Log On with a Marine Rescue Group
Lifejackets on all crew while moving
Have a Spotter keeping an eye out along with the Skippers over the Bow
Keep your speed at a reduced rate than normal.

If you see some debris of a resonable size, let the MRG know of its location ( Lat Long)

TRAVEL AT NIGHT.. TRY AND AVOID IT.

TheRealAndy
25-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Had a friend travel to moreton on Sat night and back sunday afternoon. He reckons its fine out there.

QF3 MROCP
25-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Had a friend travel to moreton on Sat night and back sunday afternoon. He reckons its fine out there.

That's great Andy your friend was ok. My thread came about because of the radio Securite announcements this afternoon over the airwaves by VMR and the current MSQ warnings: http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/About-us/MSQ-headlines/Brisbane-floods-response.aspx

As the old saying goes - "Better Safe, Than Sorry"

TheRealAndy
25-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Yeah plenty of warnings. I am forced to cancel all sailing events hosted by our club because of those warnings, bugger. Oh well. I heard a rumour that MSQ cancelled all aquatic permits, but if they did I have received no notification and I cant find the info on MSQ website.

I am going to put my boat in tomorrow and see how it all is.

Axl
25-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Flew home today hoping to come in over the bay so as to see how far out the brown water is unfortunately we didnt, the river still is dirty though.

The Real Andy ill be watching for your report after tomorrow mate I am keen as to get out there towards the end of the week.

QF3 MROCP some good advice there thanks mate.

QF3 MROCP
26-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Any words about the condition of the Bay today?

I saw there were plenty of boats at the ramp..

simo2601
26-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Can't comment on the bay but i was at the southern tip of the Bribie Passage today and didnt see a thing, surely one of the thousand jetski's darting around would have picked it up if there were any pontoons floating about

TheRealAndy
26-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Yup, in my opinion based on todays condition, not a problem. Brilliant day on the water, very calm and all debris patches are visible.

I did come across a sea pen (the floating dock things that wrap your boat in plastic) between the cooper channel and brisbane river as well as a few big sticks but all were clearly visible.

The water still has a lot of fresh in it, but its not to bad. Its not overly muddy, but typical of the bay in any heavy rainfall.

To be honest, now most off the pontoons and crap have been removed, its probably better than the big rain last year that sent all that crap out the pine river.

I would have no problem heading out, however as is after any flood, keep a good eye open for debris. Its still there.

TheRealAndy
26-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Oh, BTW I went cabbage tree creek, cooper channel, brisbane river, white island, brisbane river, otter rock, cabbage tree creek, nundah creek..

Marlin_Mike
27-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Quite good down the soiuthern end round peel. Calm day water still a bit fresh but not too bad. Bloody hell there were so many boats out. Everyone must have been stir crazy not being able to get out for so long.

Mike

charleville
27-01-2011, 10:41 AM
It may or may not be related to the dangers in the bay from the floods but it is a sobering bit of news that might encourage us to think that the Bay is not as safe as we might think ...

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/body-found-may-be-missing-fisherman-20110127-1a5q6.html

QF3 MROCP
27-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Sky News now reporting both have been found dead. Speculation already underway, however they are still looking for the dingy.

http://www.skynews.com.au/topstories/article.aspx?id=569575&vId=2132370&cId=Top%20Stories

Not a great feeling...

tropicrows
27-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Peter,
That's not good news, my sincere condolences to the men’s family and friends.

Mike,
I was out yesterday as well. did you count the boats in the bay at peel, all that money $$$$$$$$$$.

Came across a log roughly 3 meters long by 200 mm in diameter mid way between Raby bay and Peel in the morning it was still in the area on the way home. just floating up and down with the tide.

TheRealAndy
27-01-2011, 02:29 PM
It may or may not be related to the dangers in the bay from the floods but it is a sobering bit of news that might encourage us to think that the Bay is not as safe as we might think ...

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/body-found-may-be-missing-fisherman-20110127-1a5q6.html

Wrong end of the bay. More likely they cam unstuck trying a bar crossing.

honda900
27-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Sky News now reporting both have been found dead. Speculation already underway, however they are still looking for the dingy.

http://www.skynews.com.au/topstories/article.aspx?id=569575&vId=2132370&cId=Top%20Stories

Not a great feeling...

We crossed the bay yesterday morning, left late so we had good visibility, the water is a weird colour, not brown, not green somewhere between the two.

From Manly through small ships passage is pretty clear we did not see much debris at all. Out through the norther channel was also clear, although the outer bank seems to be much wider now (southern side).

However, After we crossed SPB yesterday around 7:15 there was a report on the radio from a dive boat who had found a boat in the bar, not sure exaclty where it was, but they thought it may have been a drifter, that had turned up at the bar.

I am not so sure now.. pretty sobering actually, it matched the description of the missing boat. We did not see it and we crossed the northern channel around 6:30am.

My condolences to the families involved. Local guys too..

Regards
HOnda.

shano
27-01-2011, 05:35 PM
was at wello and green today nothing floating about! was a top day!