PDA

View Full Version : need a name for new boat

lethal098
25-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Well the time has come, i have purchased a new Tinnie, a 4.25 Horizon allrounder with 30hp Yammie, she is sitting there waiting for me to pick it up on Saturday, only bought the boat and motor as i have a brand new trailer sitting at home, all the fitup will be done by me as i dont really trust anyone else to do it the way i want it. Its getting, Led navs and anchor light, Red LED strip lighting inside, Lowrance Mark5X Pro, 800gph Bilge pump(overkill but got at a great price). Then soon to come will be the seats and storage compartments.

A Big thanks to the guys at Brisbane Yamaha, Great service and willing to go that extra mile.

An extra Big thanks TO Jason at Northside Marine for organizing all the bits and pieces for the fitup, Sensational service and great price.

But anyway i need a Name for the new boat and my mind just doesnt work right now, IDEAS PLEASE.

Cheers Lee

thelump
25-01-2011, 12:15 PM
***Untrusting***;D

Camhawk88
25-01-2011, 12:31 PM
What about 'Tinarse'? Could be lucky.

Whatever you do dont go with 'Baitraped'
Some will remember an Ausfisher proposed this as a name for his new boat. Didnt go down too well. I still wonder if he went for that name or for something a bit more savoury.

Shawn 66
25-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Well the time has come, i have purchased a new Tinnie, a 4.25 Horizon allrounder with 30hp Yammie, she is sitting there waiting for me to pick it up on Saturday, only bought the boat and motor as i have a brand new trailer sitting at home, all the fitup will be done by me as i dont really trust the dealer to do it right. Its getting, Led navs and anchor light, Red LED strip lighting inside, Lowrance Mark5X Pro, 800gph Bilge pump(overkill but got at a great price). Then soon to come will be the seats and storage compartments.

A Big thanks to the guys at Brisbane Yamaha, Great service and willing to go that extra mile.

An extra Big thanks TO Jason at Northside Marine for organizing all the bits and pieces for the fitup, Sensational service and great price.

But anyway i need a Name for the new boat and my mind just doesnt work right now, IDEAS PLEASE.

Cheers Lee
I am sure Aarron and the boys would be thrilled to know how much you value their workmanship.
Shawn.:-?

STUIE63
25-01-2011, 12:49 PM
what about far horizons

finga
25-01-2011, 12:57 PM
John West (tin full of fish)
Tinny
TT (the tinny)
Horris
Lethal
Ethel

No matter what you name it just remember you may have to log onto VMR or Coast Guard and I'd hate to phonically log on some of the names out there.

lethal098
25-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks so far guys,

Camhawk, Yep remember that one, not quite the politically correct name

Finga, cant name it Lethal as my bigger boat is named that already and my brother owns half of this boat. I do like the John West one though.

A thought we had was MACCATACK, as Macca was the family nickname for ever and has a slang name for a fish as well??????

Cheers and keep em coming.

Lee

lethal098
25-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Freshwater,

I am a Mechanic myself and i can assure you that it doesnt matter who works on my cars, boats, house, pool anything for that matter. The only way i know its right is if i do it Myself, The motor will go back to them for the routine servicing but thats about where it ends. Its like anything if something plays up it is never their fault so i just dont go down that line.
I am very Happy with the service i got from the guys up there, But there are some things i just dont trust people in doing. My opinion and nothing against what the guys do, its just me.

cheers Lee

Jarrah Jack
25-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Whorizing..........

lethal098
25-01-2011, 01:21 PM
I like it Jack

PinHead
25-01-2011, 03:24 PM
If your bigger boat is called "Lethal" then you should call this one "Deadly"

finga
25-01-2011, 03:41 PM
If your bigger boat is called "Lethal" then you should call this one "Deadly"
Or Slapper.
That's lower in the order of 'hurtfulness' then lethal. And it is a tinny and what a tinny do in some slop??

lethal098
25-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Nice Pinhead, makes me smile, will put in in the pile of possibilities

cheers Lee

FishHunter
25-01-2011, 05:25 PM
What about 'Tinarse'? Could be lucky.

Whatever you do dont go with 'Baitraped'
Some will remember an Ausfisher proposed this as a name for his new boat. Didnt go down too well. I still wonder if he went for that name or for something a bit more savoury.

There is a Baitraped running around Mackay heard him on the radio a few times wondered if its the same one

Shawn 66
25-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Freshwater,

I am a Mechanic myself and i can assure you that it doesnt matter who works on my cars, boats, house, pool anything for that matter. The only way i know its right is if i do it Myself, The motor will go back to them for the routine servicing but thats about where it ends. Its like anything if something plays up it is never their fault so i just dont go down that line.
I am very Happy with the service i got from the guys up there, But there are some things i just dont trust people in doing. My opinion and nothing against what the guys do, its just me.

cheers Lee
G,Day Lee,
I have been giving myself a few uppercuts since I thought about what I posted .
How you decide to spend your hardearned is none of my business .Congrats on your new boat and please accept my appologies for being a d**khead.
:-X :-X :-X :-X Shawn

Moonlighter
25-01-2011, 05:36 PM
On a slightly more serious note, naming boats is a difficult task, unless of course SWMBO must be appeased for approving the finance, in which case you're stuck with her name:P .

I've seen a few boats around that have used the owner's favourite fish species scientific name as their boat's name - one that springs to mind that I've seen is "Seriola" (kingfish species).

If you've got Ern Grant's "Guide to Fishes" you'll find your favourite fish in there under its common name as well as the proper scientific version.

Cheers

Moonlighter (owner of the good ship "Kasmira" (Lutjanus Sp.)

finga
25-01-2011, 06:21 PM
What's a SWMBO??

Chimo
25-01-2011, 06:26 PM
She Who Must be Obeyed would be this brown ducks (TBD) guess!

deckie
25-01-2011, 06:51 PM
" Crabs "

At least u know her indoors wont tag along too often.

Jarrah Jack
25-01-2011, 07:07 PM
She Who Must be Obeyed would be this brown ducks (TBD) guess!

Don't think Finga is familiar with the concept.

I was going to name my newest boat" Thanks Denise" but she canned it..

oldie
25-01-2011, 07:18 PM
I always reckon its best to take the new gal out for a run get to know her personality then give her a name based on the experience

maybe as its a tinny "cor-ocean"(corrosion) as this is a given at some stage of its life just kidding but not bad eh

Chimo
25-01-2011, 07:27 PM
"I always reckon its best to take the new gal out for a run get to know her personality then give her a name based on the experience"

You talking about a boat or a new girlfriend?

oldie
25-01-2011, 07:30 PM
"I always reckon its best to take the new gal out for a run get to know her personality then give her a name based on the experience"

You talking about a boat or a new girlfriend?

same thing isn't it?

robfin
25-01-2011, 07:37 PM
"Yes Dear" has to be one of my favourites ;D

lethal098
25-01-2011, 07:47 PM
yeah i thought about taking her for a run first but superstition is playing on my mind, I have always been told that she must be christened before her maiden voyage, even if the sticker is not put on straight away,

I do like it simple, CRABS not bad, another one for possible

The missus couldnt give 2 shits what i name her

Cheers Lee

littlemac
25-01-2011, 07:54 PM
hey lee,

what about master baiter or even its not all mine. glad to hear you got a tinnie

bring down this way and we will go crabbing

cheers

brett

ps love the audi's

littlemac
25-01-2011, 08:10 PM
hi lee,

i forgot this one " you still owe me that box of beer"

cheers

brett

purnong
26-01-2011, 06:07 AM
Couple of mates of mine reckon I went cheap by buying the Brooker/Tohatsu combo instead of Quintrex/Yamaha so I called mine "Pov Pack"

La Vida
26-01-2011, 06:32 AM
i reckon "TONKA", for Tonka Tuff Tinnie!!!!!!8-)

greenie.77
26-01-2011, 06:54 AM
The Mistress

lethal098
26-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Yeah Brett I know I still owe ya a box, one day mate,
Crabbing for sure you know all the good spots?? Guaranteed????
I will come down saturday arvo!!!!

Daisy Burnett
26-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Lethal have a look here. Lots of idea's.

Cheers
Daisy

http://www.boatnames.com.au/boat-name-ideas.htm

Squidlet
26-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Grow up and make a decision,who cares it's yours!!!

lethal098
27-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Squidlet,

Yeah thanks mate am well aware of that but i was asking for ideas thats all.

Thats where this place is good and bad, lots of people are willing to help out and others put in useless comments.

Camhawk88
27-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Squidlet,

Yeah thanks mate am well aware of that but i was asking for ideas thats all.

Thats where this place is good and bad, lots of people are willing to help out and others put in useless comments.

Nice Lethal- one of the better comebacks I have read recently.

Mate of mine was a dab hand at catching Catfish so called his rig Pussy Magnet- meaning was lost on most people but gave us all a good laugh.

lethal098
27-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Thanks Cam,

I was thinking of doing the same to see what the boat is like but superstition is still on my mind and i need to name it before she touches water, we have it down to 4 possible

MACCATtACK
JOHN WEST
CRABS or
IGOTCRABS

Cheers Lee

Mark-P
27-01-2011, 03:43 PM
(superstition )
Cheers Lee
There your name Lee !

four_button_arnie
27-01-2011, 05:31 PM
"Slippery Gypsy"

Shawn 66
27-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Hey Lee.
If your big boat is named Lethal , why not name this bugger WEAPON .
Shawn;)

jighead
27-01-2011, 06:50 PM
What about A SALT WEAPON!!! ::)
Cheers Mal

finga
27-01-2011, 07:04 PM
If she's nice and shiny and not painted what about Spinner??
Just don't forget the naming ceremony either. Very important to do it right.
http://www.boatnames.com.au/boat-naming-renaming-ceremony.htm#Namingceremony

culbara
27-01-2011, 07:12 PM
If you are married and want to go fishing a lot or maybe take you woife with i would look to a name that compliments her

finga
28-01-2011, 06:53 AM
If the big boat is Lethal then the little boat has to be less lethal ('cause it's smaller) so what is the lesser variant of Lethal?? Dangerous ??

lethal098
28-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Top stuff guys, Making my decision even harder now.

Decision will be made tomorrow morning and yes the naming ceremony will be done. Will let you all know once its decided.

Cheers Lee

Defore
28-01-2011, 12:00 PM
If in doubt just call it "Noname" ;D

"VMR VMR VMR this is Noname, Noname on 73"

"This is VMR could caller please identify yourself"

"This is VMR could the caller PLEASE identify yourself"

"This is VMR could the caller please stop wasting our time"

Ian

finga
28-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Just to make it easy for the cook to tell you it's time to come home.

Brrrring, Brrrrrring goes the phone...
Lee: Hello...Lee speaking
Cook: Number 9...Your time is up. Come in now please....and bring some milk

business class
28-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Far Kwirk is a cracker

lethal098
28-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Finga,

I like it, simple yet original. I think i will add that to the list.

Jesus now comes the hardest part i think, the bloody decision.

Cheers Guys.

lethal098
28-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Business class,

LIKE IT

Marlin_Mike
28-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Grow up and make a decision,who cares it's yours!!!

Far Canal, some people should engage brain before opening mouth. ::) Confucius say, " He who cannot say something nice should keep mouth shut".................. :-X :-X :-X

Scott nthQld
28-01-2011, 01:51 PM
I have a mate who called his boat "Got Crabz", worst thing he ever did, never caught a bloody fish on it! Good crab magnet though. Boats long gone now, he wasn't that big of a fan of muddies.

Don't have any suggestions though, some crackers have already been mentioned....finga seems to have a talent for it (I particularly like "slapper")

Just don't be too specific when naming (ie fish species etc) or you'll never catch anything else from my experience

Camhawk88
28-01-2011, 02:03 PM
I have a mate who called his boat "Got Crabz", worst thing he ever did, never caught a bloody fish on it! Good crab magnet though. Boats long gone now, he wasn't that big of a fan of muddies.

Don't have any suggestions though, some crackers have already been mentioned....finga seems to have a talent for it (I particularly like "slapper")

Just don't be too specific when naming (ie fish species etc) or you'll never catch anything else from my experience

Given this theory a good name may be "Teleost".
Teleost is the subclass of animals we know as boney fish.
So going on Scott's theory you will only catch fish - no sharks, rays or other rubbbish.
Although if your keen on a crab or prawn you might be dissapointed.

wayno60
28-01-2011, 03:47 PM
The Office....

when i went for my VHF licence the guy doing the corse told us about a guy that named his boat.... PAY DAY.....got asked to think about changing it because it sound to much like MAY DAY..Had the VMR jumping out of their seats every time he went out on the water.

wayno60
28-01-2011, 03:54 PM
"Far Canal"

and its already been used, "DILLIGAF"

dreemon
28-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Sick days

UnReel

The Pork Hunt

Gonnareel

Just a few too confuse you more ::)

jm82
28-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Pistonbroke

Or Holy Snappin

Cheers

Josh

simo2601
28-01-2011, 05:27 PM
How about 'BUNG' you'll never forget to put them in if its written on the side of the boat

SUPERDAFF
28-01-2011, 08:03 PM

Cheers Lee

Lethal

It took a while for me to live down a Nanna of the new girlfriend, boat name experience.

So don't lose sight of the fact that someone's grandmother or young daughter - perhaps even your own - will be reading the name.

Certainly doesn't prevent you going down a particular line or pushing the envelope, but probably suggests there are some boundaries before you paint XXXX down the side.

Having said that TINASSITY (as in "tenacity" but still "tin ass" or "tin ass city") might inspire something.

One of the more clever ones I saw (but unfortunately, irrelevant to your case) was a yacht called "Running Late" towing a tender called "Running A Little Late".

Bundy might inspire some thoughts - but I'd stop short of draining the bottle !

finga
29-01-2011, 06:28 AM
One of the more clever ones I saw (but unfortunately, irrelevant to your case) was a yacht called "Running Late" towing a tender called "Running A Little Late".
The brother is looking at a boat called Cat Cha.
I reckon the tender should be called Kort.

theoldlegend
29-01-2011, 07:32 AM
The late Tom Burns (the former State member for Lytton, I think) was a very keen fisho.

His boat was called 'The Electorate".

If somebody called him and he wasn't in the office, his staff would tell the caller that he was out and about in the electorate.

Seemed fair enough............

TOL

deckie
29-01-2011, 08:06 AM
Thanks Cam,

I was thinking of doing the same to see what the boat is like but superstition is still on my mind and i need to name it before she touches water, we have it down to 4 possible

MACCATtACK
JOHN WEST
CRABS or
IGOTCRABS

Cheers Lee

heyyy....i'm in the running for the cash prize 8-)

Gotta be better than "bait raped".

finga
30-01-2011, 05:08 PM
So what did you come up with matey??

dreemon
30-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Sick days

UnReel

The Pork Hunt

Gonnareel

Just a few too confuse you more ::)

I want to add that after a boat is named it's meant to stick with the boat and is supposed to be bad luck to change it ,

choose wisely , 2 of mine are'nt so good long term when saying " tower this is. .. . . . . . . . repeat. you know what I mean.

Cheers

lethal098
31-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Ok So the name is
IGOTCRABS

Was a hard decision for sure but so far have had a few laughs about it and some family members arent really sure baout it but i dont really care too much, it will raise an eyebrow or 3 so its all good.

Will post a new thread with some piccies and some more info.

cheers Lee