PDA

View Full Version : What happens now??

rando
24-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Several of brisbanes smaller waterways had populations of Tilapia and other introduced species, cant remember the specifics right now.Tingalpa ck & bulimba ck come to mind& leslie harrison dam.
I wonder if the big flush out would have cleared some of these things out.

I know Tilapia in particular can tolerate a wide range of conditions but would they survive being swept out into the bay proper, and if so are we about to see the bay invaded???These things really are a serios pest.!!
Interested to hear what you all think.

Axl
24-01-2011, 11:42 PM
I've never seen them in Lota creek proper but they certainly are in a side estuary that goes up under the train bridge.

With the masive amount of water that went down this liitle waterway in the past month some would have had to have been washed into the main creek.

And with the creek flowing hard they would have to have ended up in the bay I reckon as this waterway joins the main creek not to far from the mouth.

I found this on the net lets hope they didnt get a chance to acclimatise slowly if they did make it to the Bay.

Tilapia, however, are brackish/fresh water fish and are cultured in hypersaline conditions, so they are quite able to process the salts safely. They can tolerate full marine conditions, if acclimated slowly.

STUIE63
25-01-2011, 07:40 AM
we have them in the lakes here in Townsville and they are full salt water
Stuie

TimiBoy
25-01-2011, 07:55 AM
They'll get into the Bay but we won't be able to get 'em in the Green Zones...

Tim

Camhawk88
25-01-2011, 08:57 AM
THe floods will open up new waterways for them to invade as they will have been washed into areas otherwize unpopulated by them. Even in the Bay with that much fresh I reckon the salinity would be down to about 10ppt (normal marine is 35ppt). Survival will be strong and distribution will be enhanced.

Bugger

rayken1938
25-01-2011, 09:41 AM
If a bass can make it from Somerset over 2 dams and a weir and up the North Pine river the tilapia will be everywhere also.
Cheers
Ray

Mike Delisser
26-01-2011, 09:08 PM
If a bass can make it from Somerset over 2 dams and a weir and up the North Pine river the tilapia will be everywhere also.
Cheers
Ray

Was that a tag return Ray?

Ben D
04-02-2011, 04:34 PM
yep, verified tag return reported from Infofish services.

Luc
04-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Every flood event is a boost to the spreading of tilapia.

If you're feeling smug that your local water is free of them, it's only a matter of time.

All the fisheries has put in place is simply delaying the inevitable.

Luc

devocean
05-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Time to release some southern barramundi to clean em all up :>

Axl
14-02-2011, 02:48 PM
You wouldnt believe it I was sitting down the club having a beer on the weekend and a mate walked in with a fish for me to ID. He had been chasing some live bait out at the mouth of Lota creek and he pulled up three Talapia in his net.

Looks like they are in the creek proper now hopefully he gets some muddies with them cause thats where they were going into his pots.

STUIE63
14-02-2011, 03:06 PM
You wouldnt believe it I was sitting down the club having a beer on the weekend and a mate walked in with a fish for me to ID. He had been chasing some live bait out at the mouth of Lota creek and he pulled up three Talapia in his net.

Looks like they are in the creek proper now hopefully he gets some muddies with them cause thats where they were going into his pots.

Tell your mate that he is not allowed to return them to the water in any way shape or form as they are mouth brooders and could have young in their mouths
if the fishos catch him with them as bait in a pot he might be in trouble
Stuie

Camhawk88
14-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Might want to keep your mate's name on the quiet then Axl or he may have FQ knocking his door down. It is illegal to either release or keep Tilapia. They must be disposed of via burial at least 20 m (I think, pays to check) from the waters edge. Use as bait is frowned upon due to their ability to hold eggs and young in their mouth for long periods after removal from the water.

Not saying it is a great rule but it is a rule that many people are unaware of and may come to strife with, particularly people living in areas that previously havent had tilapia.

Axl
15-02-2011, 07:07 AM
Tell your mate that he is not allowed to return them to the water in any way shape or form as they are mouth brooders and could have young in their mouths
if the fishos catch him with them as bait in a pot he might be in trouble
Stuie

Might want to keep your mate's name on the quiet then Axl or he may have FQ knocking his door down. It is illegal to either release or keep Tilapia. They must be disposed of via burial at least 20 m (I think, pays to check) from the waters edge. Use as bait is frowned upon due to their ability to hold eggs and young in their mouth for long periods after removal from the water.

Not saying it is a great rule but it is a rule that many people are unaware of and may come to strife with, particularly people living in areas that previously havent had tilapia.

I was unaware of that thanks guys I rang him this morning to let him know. He hadnt used them as yet they are in the freezer and will now be buried.

STUIE63
15-02-2011, 12:41 PM
no worries mate just another rule that is little known out there that you can get hooked for
Stuie

dnej
21-02-2011, 04:37 PM
http://www.bmrg.org.au/information.php/2/111/351
There is a good poster link