PDA

View Full Version : Question of interest

troy
23-01-2011, 07:33 PM
I purchased a brand new boat motor and trailer from a dealer i will not name at this stage.
In a time of 3 weeks all the stainless steel on the boat rusted away.
Contacted the dealer and was fogged off saying in all the boats he has built he never had a problem.
He sent me most of the parts that had correded but the parts he sent does not match up to the excisting parts eg the ladder is not the same and to fit the new one i will have not only new holes to drill but cover up the old ones.
The dealer has told me they only cover structural warranty.
All the stainless steel on this boat has serious corrision problems.
The reason i have posted this is be very wary of buying a boat from other states as when you have a problem they know it does not pay you to bring it back.
Troy

Scott nthQld
23-01-2011, 07:49 PM
now that you have gone back to the dealer and they'ver basically told you to piss off and sent you any shit laying around the workshop, sned an email (so you have an electronic record of you making contact, and follow up with a phone call the next morning, noting time you called, who you spoke to, what was discussed etc, if still no joy don't mess around, go straight to the ACCC and inform the dealer you will be doing so. Its obvious what was supplied is not fit for purpose and at this early stage you are entitled to either return the boat and get your money back, plus compensation for travel, loss of income for missing work etc, or have the boat sent to them at their expense and get everything rectified.

To be honest, I'm sick and tired of hearing these sorts of stories about boat dealers and manufacturers, especially when with their next breath they are screaming for our business and our dollar because the market is tough....ever thought that the market is tough because after all the drama's people just simply couldn't be assed to set foot in a dealership and deal with this type of crap, and they'd rathr go out and take the risk and buy second hand private or even go to the extent of importing boats, and still get better service from the other side from the world

mouse71
23-01-2011, 07:54 PM
that's a bit of a kick in the guts mate....not good
surely there should be some type of legislation protecting the customer
I reckon name & shame......especially as you say this was a brand spanker definitely not good form:rifle: :furious2: ;)

Daisy Burnett
23-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Not good enough by half. If you have purchased a new boat and you have that crap happening in three weeks, it is obvious they have been using sub standard stainless for starters and secondly they think they can make you go away by supplying rubbish replacement parts that are not the correct item. Tell them they have one more chance to correct the fault or you are going to take them to the fair trade commision. As was stated earlier by Scott get an email trail going so you have a record of conversation and record names and dates for later use. F#$k em. Take them to the cleaners, you paid good money for a quality product you should be able to expect what you paid for.

Good Luck
Daisy

PinHead
23-01-2011, 09:06 PM
bloody hell troy..there is no way stainless can "rust away" in three weeks. Even mild steel would last longer than that. Dunno what they would have used.

Jarrah Jack
23-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Thats just rotten Troy, go at them hard. was the stainless put on by the dealer or the builder? Anyway your contract was with the dealer so its up to them to fix it. It may pay to let them know that there are a few people on the forum taking an interest in this. Its worked for me.

Have you tried going direct to the builder just to see what they have to say. That structural warranty rubbish is just a fob off.

Flex
24-01-2011, 05:54 AM
Can you tell us what brand of boat and which dealer?

TimiBoy
24-01-2011, 05:58 AM
Can you tell us what brand of boat and which dealer?

I wouldn't do that yet.

Do exactly as Scott et al. said. If you get no joy, then it might be time to share a name.

Cheers,

Tim

troy
24-01-2011, 07:06 AM
There is not much i can do as he sent replacement parts but are not the same as the original ones and i do not want to drill more holes in the transom.
Just trying to warn people what can happen when you buy something a long way from where you are.
Troy

Lovey80
24-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Send the parts back and tell them you want the original ones just in proper staino or your bringing the boat back for a refund.

Defore
24-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Any phone conversation you have with them should be followed up with an email restating what was said on the phone.
Usually started with "As per our conversation today ......"

This is useful in the "he said I said" situation as you have stated it in writing and it is then up to them to reply. If they don't then what you said is proven.

Ian

Camhawk88
24-01-2011, 02:04 PM
There is not much i can do as he sent replacement parts but are not the same as the original ones and i do not want to drill more holes in the transom.
Just trying to warn people what can happen when you buy something a long way from where you are.
Troy

NO. There is plenty you can do as has been suggested here.

Dont take it laying down, get the situation on record (email etc) tell them exactly what you intend on doing if they dont fully fix the issue- consumer affairs or ACCC, Today Tonight, whatever.

The replacement parts you refer to aren't replacements they are substitutes and do not meet the requirements of new boat after sales and warrantees.

Huge ??? also over how anything can corrode that quick esp SS.

If you are not all that confident in penning an email that will clarify the situatoion and ellicit a response, either engage a lawer or I am sure there are plenty of guys here that will give you a hand. Sounds like a few have already been thru this shit and are now much wizer in how to go about it.