PDA

View Full Version : Caloundra Bar use

tropicrows
23-01-2011, 02:56 PM
I have just spent a week in a unit over looking the Caloundra bar. As it was my first trip up there, We spent the week sight seeing and fishing from the shore. However in that week, I did not see any boats crossing the bar. The weather was good and the bar certainly looked very passable, so what’s the go. Does everyone travel that little further north and go out from Mooloolaaba.

:)

philpy
23-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Hey mate. I have never crossed it myself but the old man lives up there and says that the sand shifts alot and its not good to cross at the best of time. As you said, 20min up the road is Mooloolaba. Which is a great bar and fishing is closer to better reefs. IMO

sporty1
23-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Hi Guys

crossed it 4-5 times each way between new Year and 2 weeks ago, in 10-15 knts it is fine, bottom of the tide can be shallow but not too many problems as long as you know what you are doing. Time your trip to not coincide with the outgoing tide or bottom of the tide and it should be ok.

Awesome
23-01-2011, 06:15 PM
I live here and preferred to travel to Moolooaba to go offshore. Very rarely are you able to get out of Mooloolaba.I just feel a bit safer especially when the kids are with me.
I work with a mate thats lives up here and uses the Caloundra Bar and has done for 20 years,I would call him a very experienced skipper, he has come undone three times on it