PDA

View Full Version : Best two stroke oil

marto78
22-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Just after peoples opinions and experiences about what they reckon is the best oils on the market and why. The motor it will be going through is a Yamaha 130 salt water series.
Cheers Marto

gazza2006au
22-01-2011, 08:54 PM
try the yamaha brand oil designed for a yamaha engine and u cant complain ;D

antg2378
22-01-2011, 08:56 PM
I agree go with the manufacturers oil. I have a Mercury Mariner 50hp 2 stroke on my boat and I won't use anything but the genuine Quicksilver oil.

Kero
22-01-2011, 09:07 PM
I use Castrol Super, given the thumbs up from a couple of mechanics (good ones). I put it through an OMC Evinrude.;)
Have been told to steer clear of Valvoline 2 stroke oil, and it is priced cheaply.

Kondo 1
22-01-2011, 09:28 PM
I think I tried jsut about all the outboard oils in my last yamaha 50 premixed 2 stroke to try and save me from looking like I was bee-keeping :)

I found Valvoline and Shell the smokiest and roughest, Yamalube, Caltex and Penrite all pretty good - roughly half as smokey as the ealrier mentioned oils(seemed to run a little smoother on these too) however the best by far was the BRP XD-50, ran the smoothest with bugger all smoke - well compared to the others anyway. BUT I did have allot of trouble justifying the cost - about double the price of the Penrite or Yamalube, at about $60 a bottle it adds up quick, well in a premixed motor anyway. I have never had an oil injected motor so have no idea how much oil you blokes use...

gazza2006au
22-01-2011, 09:34 PM
i have ran the valvoline 2 stroke outboard oil in a new and old engine with no dramas all thought i do agree with the last post it does get smokey as i downrigg lot it becomes a problem but does keep cost down at $10 1L $30 4L

Kevaclone
22-01-2011, 09:56 PM
With Manufacturer's oils, try and find out who makes it and then buy the oil from the manufacturer, same oil cheaper price. And since the Motor Companies don't make oils they usually just use an Oil Company's oil and rebrand it

This Company (http://www.almc.com.au/) also makes most oils here in Australia to their customer's specs. Their customers are the Oil Companies

I think ALMC has links with Caltex since it took over Caltex's Lubes manufacturing plant at Lytton, Before that Caltex were making their own oils, Castrol oils and BP oils

Roughasguts
22-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Smoke is your friend in a two stroke! at least then you know the oil injection is working and the engine is lubed.

I use the shell stuff and sure it smokes on start up but then goes away, but you can still smell it unfortunately.

Cheers

Steeler
22-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Fuchs are one of the biggest OE suppliers of 2 stroke oil.

champion
22-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Marto,

Stick to the same oil the motor is used to !
its just like a well oiled machine "you dont want to fix it if it aint broke"

Joe

Axl
22-01-2011, 10:47 PM
try the yamaha brand oil designed for a yamaha engine and u cant complain ;D

Yep I agree I've had two Yamaha's and I used the Yamalube in them. I now have a Mercury and I use the Quicksiver. If the manufactures make an oil you may as well use it I reckon.

marto78
23-01-2011, 06:38 AM
Thats why I love this forum you can get so many opinions and all this info in one night that would usually take you a whole day or more of driving around and talking too dealers. So thanks for all the quick responses guys, it is greatly appreciated and I will be passing it all on to the owner of the boat.
Cheers Marto

4x4frog
23-01-2011, 08:06 AM
Totally agree marto. So much good info.

Do larger brands retail in bulk to marine consumers?

Fairly sure Elf/Total will have Marine oil in bulk.

I buy all my motor oils from them in bulk lots, be it 20L drums or multiple 1 or 4 litre containers.

I can check the availability if anyone wants large quantities.

stevel3
23-01-2011, 08:18 AM
whats BP hi tide like, I have about 12 litres of it in the shed.

Kevaclone
23-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Totally agree marto. So much good info.

Do larger brands retail in bulk to marine consumers?

Fairly sure Elf/Total will have Marine oil in bulk.

I buy all my motor oils from them in bulk lots, be it 20L drums or multiple 1 or 4 litre containers.

I can check the availability if anyone wants large quantities.

Yes they do, you can go to any marina that sells fuel/oils and order 20L drums of oils, or if there is a fuel distribution depot somewhere close by you can get it from there(up to 205L), pretty much any decent truck stop(maybe not the big service centres) or servo will order drums for you if they don't already have it.

ring your nearest distributor they may even deliver it to you

I spent quite a few years delivering oils all around SEQ

cormorant
23-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Anyone know if the 2 stroke oils have a shelf life?. Shelf life after opening? I know some are affected by sunlight .

I see a few bottles in dealers that have sat for a while and they have a silt in the bottom . Stir it up or just decant off the top?

ozscott
24-01-2011, 09:05 PM
I use the Merc Quicksilver premium oil for Optimax, in my 94 Yam V115...excellent and have used it for years. Once warm you really dont notice smoke and it NEVER cokes up the plugs when trolling.

Cheers

Stuart
24-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Two stroke oil has no shelf life mate.

trueblue
24-01-2011, 11:47 PM
I have the exact same 130 HP motor, and I used to run yammalube all the time.

Valvoline and Nautilus have both given me problems in the past.

I now buy Caltex Super Outboard 2 stroke oil in 20l drums, for under $120 per drum - $6 odd bucks a litre when in bulk - no issues, engine runs smooth, all happy, and much better price than yammalube. Caltex super 2 stroke oil costs over $40 per 4 litre bottle if not buying in bulk drums.